The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 8, 2014, 08:29 PM   #1
Bezoar

lube and cast bullets

Ive been pondering this question for some time. And have to ask.

if a cast lead bullet must be lubricated, and theres so many lubricants and powder coating technology to do so,
then why can i still purchase double ended wadcutters that were never meant to be lubricated?
Old August 8, 2014, 09:12 PM   #2
skizzums

that's news to me, I didn't know any unjacketed bullet would be un-lubed. that sounds awful.
Old August 8, 2014, 11:58 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

Years ago, I used to buy hard cast bullets that were unlubricated (158 SWC, & 200 SWC for 45 ACP). They had the lube groove but were bare.

Nobody told me they were supposed to be lubricated and I didn't know any better. I guess nobody told the guns either because they shot just fine - except, without all the smoke. I shot these things for years before I learned they were supposed to be lubed.

Also: 240g SWC's for 44 Spl/Mag.

Last edited by Nick_C_S; August 9, 2014 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Additional information added.
Old August 9, 2014, 09:21 PM   #4
noylj

I have bought as-cast and unlubricated bullets, but only as special order (for me and the guns I have tested, as-cast bullets are more accurate than after sizing).
In 40 years I have never seen an unlubed cast bullet sold unless very specifically requested. I have seen LOTS of swaged lubed bullets sold that look unlubed, but they were lubed with a wax emulsion that is not visible when dry.
Have no idea what you have, but a VERY light coating of Lee Liquid Alox will be all the lube you need.
Old August 10, 2014, 07:51 AM   #5
Shootest

Quote:
I have seen LOTS of swaged lubed bullets sold that look unlubed, but they were lubed with a wax emulsion that is not visible when dry.
I think that is what the OP is referring to. Swaged lead bullets are in fact lubricated you just can’t see the lube.