The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2014, 08:25 PM   #1
Mosin-Marauder

First Reloads!

Just got done loading my first rounds. A few days ago I sized and decapped them. Yesterday I hand polished and tumbled all of them. And today I trimmed them and deburred/ chamfered them. And I finally got to prime and charge and load them! (with the help of my dad of course). I used 150 grain Hornady soft points and 45 grains of H4350 and WLR primers.nit was really fun and I got really nervous when I was pouring the powder. Anyway, here's the finished product! Thanks for all the advice you guys have given me.

William Tecumseh Sherman

Last edited by Mosin-Marauder; August 1, 2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old August 1, 2014, 09:28 PM   #2
tobnpr

Where did you get the reloading data for that?

Hodgdon doesn't list a load for that weight bullet using H4350...

That's an awfully slow powder- especially for a relatively light bullet from that cartridge. Personally, I wouldn't use anything slower than Varget, which I use exclusively with the 174 grain SMK's.

Maybe it's just the ogive of that particular bullet, but they look like they're seated pretty deep. What is your OAL?
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old August 1, 2014, 10:40 PM   #3
Mosin-Marauder

Quote:
Where did you get the reloading data for that?

Hodgdon doesn't list a load for that weight bullet using H4350...
From here:
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
Go under 7.5x55 Swiss and select 150 grain bullet and H4350. Even says Hornady 150 grain soft points as the bullets. The load data also matches with this:
http://stevespages.com/308_14_150.html

Quote:
That's an awfully slow powder- especially for a relatively light bullet from that cartridge. Personally, I wouldn't use anything slower than Varget, which I use exclusively with the 174 grain SMK's.
I only loaded 3 for reasons like this. They're just to test.

Quote:
Maybe it's just the ogive of that particular bullet, but they look like they're seated pretty deep. What is your OAL?
They're supposed to be seated pretty deep. My OAL for FMJBT 150 grain was 2.870 and these are .020 shorter due to the ogive of the bullet. They fit my chamber. The FMJ bullets seated at 2.890 or there abouts wouldn't chamber too well. These chamber very smoothly and go in with a snap. Also, Hodgdon lists the OAL to be about .060 under what mine is with the same bullet and trim length (2.175).

I'm satisfied with these rounds, and as long as they go bang without a problem, then loads can be changed and improved.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 2, 2014, 06:09 AM   #4
rrruger

Great job!
Quote:
I'm satisfied with these rounds, and as long as they go bang without a problem, then loads can be changed and improved.
How else do we ever learn?
Let us know how they work.
Old August 2, 2014, 07:10 AM   #5
flyguy958

Enjoy your new addiction.
Old August 2, 2014, 07:12 AM   #6
tobnpr

Ahhh....

I looked at your screen name and assumed you were loading 54R rounds- as you didn't even mention in your post what they were...

Had I looked a little closer at your pic, the lack of a rim makes it obvious what it's not...

But, you might want to revise your original post to mention that they're 7.5 x 55.

As to the OAL for the K-31...

I made the mistake of using my Hornady manual (maybe they've revised it since) to determine OAL...which is based on another Swiss rifle (can't recall which, one of the "long" rifles) and our rounds were nearly a full 1/4" too long. We couldn't even chamber the 175 SMK's we were using.

Once I got the correct case for the bullet comparator I was able to get it correct- and yeah, they were seated pretty deeply. The K-31 has a very short throat.

Even though I have the dies and the brass, I was unable to come up with anything that shot better than the GP-11...
And with the cost of components, buying the surplus is no more expensive than handloading so I'm probably going to shelve the dies, and stock up on the GP-11.

Good luck with it, let us know how it goes!
Old August 2, 2014, 08:25 AM   #7
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Great Job! K31s have short throats. Gotta seat em deeper but always be cautious!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old August 2, 2014, 10:03 AM   #8
Mosin-Marauder

Quote:
Ahhh....

I looked at your screen name and assumed you were loading 54R rounds- as you didn't even mention in your post what they were...

Had I looked a little closer at your pic, the lack of a rim makes it obvious what it's not...

But, you might want to revise your original post to mention that they're 7.5 x 55.
Whoops! My mistake, I'll change that. Yes I figured I wouldn't reload for the Mosin because of how cheap surplus is. Plus the K--31 is more accurate.

Quote:
As to the OAL for the K-31...

I made the mistake of using my Hornady manual (maybe they've revised it since) to determine OAL...which is based on another Swiss rifle (can't recall which, one of the "long" rifles) and our rounds were nearly a full 1/4" too long. We couldn't even chamber the 175 SMK's we were using.

Once I got the correct case for the bullet comparator I was able to get it correct- and yeah, they were seated pretty deeply. The K-31 has a very short throat.
About that. I measured them again this morning, and they came out about .050 longer than the OAL for the FMJ's....but they still chamber? I'm not sure what it is....could that mean something is wrong? I had two that were 2.845 and one that was 2.840. My dad said he ran the die down to the dummy round but if he did, wouldn't they be the same length?

Quote:
Even though I have the dies and the brass, I was unable to come up with anything that shot better than the GP-11...
And with the cost of components, buying the surplus is no more expensive than handloading so I'm probably going to shelve the dies, and stock up on the GP-11.

Good luck with it, let us know how it goes!
As long as they're as accurate as GP11, I don't mind. And to be honest, I can make the hand loads about .20 cents cheaper a rou d than GP11. And GP11 is extremely uncommon around here, and it's rather expensive.

I plan to keep everyone updated on the groupings I get, thank you for your help.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 2, 2014, 03:39 PM   #9
tobnpr

Quote:
About that. I measured them again this morning, and they came out about .050 longer than the OAL for the FMJ's....but they still chamber?
Not sure what you mean...did you use the bullet seating die as set for a different bullet?

That will almost always result in a different COAL, as bullets have different ogives, and the point length) at which it will engage the rifling in the leade will vary. Look up, secant, and tangential, ogives- for an example. Secant ogive bullets (or VLD's) are longer, for the same weight- than a tangential ogive bullet. But even with the same type ogive, you need to check and adjust your seating die.

Most load data for the 7.5 x 55 is based on the 1911 long rifle- a completely different throat.

You must have a great source for bullets- GP-11 is about $.50/round, and my bullets cost $.35 each.

Look at thread number one, here:

http://theswissriflesdotcommessagebo...1#.U91JdfldWSo

I would suggest- as you get serious about reloading- that you invest a few bucks in the Hornady bullet comparator, and oal gauge with the 7.5 x 55 modified case.

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/m...prod34053.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/m...prod12634.aspx

With the two, you can accurately measure exactly where any type bullet you use will engage the rifling, and experiment with different seating depths.

A round can still chamber, with the bullet being lightly jammed into the rifling where you wouldn't necessarily be able to feel it closing the bolt.

You must get your bullets at a great price, MatchKings cost me $.35 each- and GP-11 is about $.50 online.

Last edited by tobnpr; August 2, 2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old August 2, 2014, 04:10 PM   #10
Mosin-Marauder

Excluding cases and primers (of which i plan to reuse and already have, respectively) My cost/round is .30. GP11 is .60 a round when you can find it around here. I got 90 rounds (a brick and five clips) of the stuff when i bought my rifle and Ive only shot about six rounds, yet. I don't plan on ordering any from CTD of anyplace because after shipping it's over .50 a round. When the next gun show rolls around, I might buy some more if handloading doesn't work out.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 2, 2014, 11:05 PM   #11
kilimanjaro

Try AIM Surplus or SG AMMO, they beat CTD hands down.

Why wouldn't handloading work out?
Old August 3, 2014, 07:01 AM   #12
Mosin-Marauder

Like he said, if accuracy is bad or it gets extensive. The "if" is really more of a "just in case".
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 3, 2014, 07:24 AM   #13
RaySendero

Reloading for the K31

Quote:
Mosin-Marauder wrote:
First Reloads!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got done loading my first rounds. A few days ago I sized and decapped them. Yesterday I hand polished and tumbled all of them. And today I trimmed them and deburred/ chamfered them. And I finally got to prime and charge and load them! (with the help of my dad of course). I used 150 grain Hornady soft points and 45 grains of H4350 and WLR primers.nit was really fun and I got really nervous when I was pouring the powder. Anyway, here's the finished product! Thanks for all the advice you guys have given me.

MM, Good job!

I see you didn't make the same rookie mistake I did with my 1st 7.5x55 reloads (i.e. loading too long COAL).

I also use IMR4350 and found it to be a good powder. Since I use mine for both range and hunting I picked the 165 and 180 SGKs - IMR4350 works well with both of those bullets/weights for me.

PS: I found 2.925" COAL was good for both those bullets in my rifle.
Old August 3, 2014, 08:51 AM   #14
Mosin-Marauder

Quote:
MM, Good job!

I see you didn't make the same rookie mistake I did with my 1st 7.5x55 reloads (i.e. loading too long COAL).

I also use IMR4350 and found it to be a good powder. Since I use mine for both range and hunting I picked the 165 and 180 SGKs - IMR4350 works well with both of those bullets/weights for me.

PS: I found 2.925" COAL was good for both those bullets in my rifle.
Thank you!

Yes, I was tempted to load then to the COAL of GP11 (which isn't really possible due to the shape of modern bullets).

As for different loads, I plan to get some heavier bullets if these don't shoot well or for another load. I'm hoping these shoot well, as I bought a box of 100.

I plan to try out some of the 165 grain FMJ rounds I see, but that will most likely be after I use up these bullets.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 3, 2014, 08:55 AM   #15
Jim243

Nice going, excellent job on those rounds.

But be warned, once you fire those and find out they are 500% more accurate than any commercial or surplus ammo you will be hooked on reloading.

You will find yourself scrounging once fired brass every time you go to the range, you find yourself going to every gun show on the planet to find cheaper cases, primers and bullets. You will end up purchasing more guns just to load for them and you will become an accuracy nut demanding smaller and smaller groups and spending more time in case preparation and more time at the reloading bench than at the range.

In other words you will become a reloading nut just like the rest of us (LOL).

Congratulations and have fun and shoot straight.
Jim
Old August 3, 2014, 09:13 AM   #16
Mosin-Marauder

Quote:

But be warned, once you fire those and find out they are 500% more accurate than any commercial or surplus ammo you will be hooked on reloading.

You will find yourself scrounging once fired brass every time you go to the range, you find yourself going to every gun show on the planet to find cheaper cases, primers and bullets. You will end up purchasing more guns just to load for them and you will become an accuracy nut demanding smaller and smaller groups and spending more time in case preparation and more time at the reloading bench than at the range.

In other words you will become a reloading nut just like the rest of us (LOL).

Congratulations and have fun and shoot straight.
Jim
Thanks! I tried to make sure every piece of brass and everything looked okay. There were a few indentations on some of the brass, but I think it should be fine

We're going to the beach this weekend and there is an Outdoor World near our condominium and I plan to see if they have any cheap brass or bullets or primers (or powder!).

Thanks again! (It sounds fun being a reloading nut )
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 4, 2014, 04:21 AM   #17
skizzums

awesome job, glad you got started reloading, and your age. youll be a wealth of knowledge by the time you get as old as most of us are. i kick myself everyday for not getting into this earlier when the shortages werent a concern, but hopefully i'll be alive long enough to see it pass, some people on this forum think ill be dead in a week, so lets keep our fingers crossed. have fun and start contemplating your next adventure.... casting.
Old August 4, 2014, 05:33 AM   #18
Mosin-Marauder

Quote:
contemplating your next adventure.... casting.
Casting always sounded interesting to me. I did get confused about gas checks and grease grooves and everything. But I'm starting to understand stuff a lot better now. Still have a lot to learn about regular metallic reloading, so I don't wanna rush into anything and not know what I'm doing. Anyway, thank you for your help and compliments!
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 6, 2014, 04:43 AM   #19
skizzums

def dont rush into it, i wouldnt do it until you start shooting pistols. you can cast for rifles, but it's so much work it kind of takes the fun out of it.
Old August 7, 2014, 06:22 PM   #20
RaySendero

Quote:
Jim243 wrote:

Yep, What Jim Said: