The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 26, 2008, 03:57 AM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

A long history of success is hard to argue against

Double barrel shotguns, and the short "coach guns" have done good service since the day they were invented. They don't work any less effectively today than they did well over 100 years ago.

Stopping/putting down a home invader with mayhem on their mind does the trick, but so does driving them off. And a shotgun is something that really gives good service for that.

I keep a coach gun loaded and close at hand, one of the chinese made ones with double triggers and "rabbit ear" hammers. it is a cheap gun, but made well enough to go bang every time, and nothing more is needed. With a butt cuff holding a couple more shells it is just the thing.
Old July 26, 2008, 08:40 AM   #27
wnycollector

I have an old 16ga SxS that I cut the barrel down to 18.5". I keep it loaded with #1 buck. This is the gun my wife tells me she would grab is there were a problem in our house. This is the ultimate "keep it simple stupid" gun!
Old July 27, 2008, 05:07 AM   #28
plom

you can see it on her smile, no way to take it from her here for you TXgun

Old July 27, 2008, 11:23 AM   #29
mikenbarb

I love ladies with a 12 gauge and some ink lol.
Old July 27, 2008, 04:27 PM   #30
Mannlicher

This old Stevens 311 SxS in 16 Ga has served well for over 25 years now. I bought it used, with the barrels shortened.
With #1 Buck, its a comfort on those dark and stormy nights.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old July 29, 2008, 01:43 AM   #31
Nnobby45

A fellow took Clint Smiths shotgun course at Thunder Ranch, and showed up with a single shot. Clint was impressed by the ol' timers' ability to use it and incorperated a single shot in his shotgun video.

Not because he recommends a single shot for defense, but to show that you can defend yourself with such a weapon if you have to.

It can be reloaded faster than you might think, as can a double. Break it open, give it a strong shake to the rear to eject the empties over your shoulder (on a non ejector type gun), reload, and keep going. Attached ammo supply is a must.

I won't be replacing my 870 with either a single or double anytime soon, but they're both tools that can be used.

I think the Coachgun would be good as one part of a defensive arsenal-- like stashed in a strategic place in a jewelry or pawn shop, etc,-- or even in the home. Two quick powerful shots, but it wouldn't be the only accessible gun I'd want.
Old July 29, 2008, 09:43 AM   #32
Laz

Nnobby45 wrote
Quote:
I think the Coachgun would be good as one part of a defensive arsenal-- like stashed in a strategic place in a jewelry or pawn shop, etc,-- or even in the home. Two quick powerful shots, but it wouldn't be the only accessible gun I'd want.
Bingo! That's the key.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old February 9, 2015, 01:56 AM   #33
k357

I think my 311 16 would work fine just the it is for HD. even with longer barrels...

Last edited by k357; February 9, 2015 at 02:02 AM.