The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 31, 2006, 10:38 AM   #1
Doug.38PR

Stranger walks up in your camp

Say you are sitting in your camp with two friends one night out in the wilderness of say Colorado or Wyoming or maybe even East Texas. You have have a revolver on your hip for personal defense (primarily charging animals but....considering where I am going with this thread) and are sitting there drinking hot cocoa laughing over this or that when some stranger walks up into your camp. He has a rifle of some kind and a thick winter coat on. What do you do? What do you look for? How do react?

NOTE: some places (like national parks) don't allow you to carry handguns...some people do it anyway out of common sense . Consider both circumstances, handgun on hip or not (do you keep your Remington 700 close by? Subtly load one in the chamber?)

Both your party and the stranger are isolated from the rest of the world miles from civilization.

I remember about a year ago that oriental man (think he was from Vietnam or Cambodia. Somewhere in Southeast Asia) gunned down that hunting party in Wisconsin. Then there is the fictional movie Deliverance in which two inbred white trash goons hold up two campers with a shotgun and rape one of them (a scene in which my dad declared "This is why you should ALWAYS carry a pistol when you go camping. You don't know what weirdo is going to walk up in your camp.")
Old August 31, 2006, 10:42 AM   #2
CDH

Quote:
He has a rifle of some kind and a thick winter coat on.
I'm guessing he might be a hunter, possibly lost and cold.

How about: Invite him to join you and give him some hot cocoa? You'll know what he's all about by the time he utters his first sentence.

Carter
Old August 31, 2006, 10:46 AM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

Suggest he submit to a cavity search. But that wouldn't be the high road.

Be alert. Talk to him politely and see what's up. I take it he isn't walking out of the dark with the gun pointed at you. Then, break out the bacon grease, young man.

If he is an area where he has the same right to be as you - it is polite of him to walk up to the camp rather than just shooting you from the dark and then having his way with your corpse.

The Asian man incident was much more complicated and was precipitated an argument over hunting.
Old August 31, 2006, 10:52 AM   #4
stephen426

I guess that is why you should not go camping alone. There is strength in numbers. I agree that everyone should have a sidearm for self defense, but I would watch how the stranger approaches your camp. He should call out from a distance to announce his presence and put you guys at ease that he is not trying to sneak up on you. Does he merely have his rifle slung over his shoulder or is he carrying it in his hands? How does the guy look? Is he dressed for hunting or does he look like some psycho? Does the weather dictate that he should wear a heavy coat?

I would greet him right away with something friendly and watch his reaction. Just because you are in a secluded place and someone stumbles across your path (public property I assume), you do not have the right to draw down on him and ask them 20 question just because he is armed. How would you feel if someone drew down on you just because you are carrying? Would you simply put your hands up in the air and say you you have no bad intentions or would you draw and demand they surrender? Its far more likely to end in a gun fight that way when neither party had any bad intentions in the first place.

One other thing to consider is bringing along an old trusty 4 legged friend when you go camping. His or her eyes, ears, and nose are far superior to yours and he or she will alert you to 2 legged and 4 legged visitors. Worst comes to worst, you can feed him to hungry predators and run!
Old August 31, 2006, 11:23 AM   #5
Dan M.

As the rest of my party interacts with the stranger, I would (or hope one of my buddies would) step away from the fire and find a shadow to stand in to listen and watch from for a bit. Mr. Stranger could be part of a party of his own and is there to size up your group for less-than-friendly reasons. It would've been polite and proper of him to hail the camp before walking in with a rifle. My group should've heard his feet crunching on the ground unless he deliberately trying to sneak up on us.
Old August 31, 2006, 11:58 AM   #6
isa268

my guess? he has a rifle if he wanted to kill you you'd already be dead.

so strike up a conversation, and if really is no threat, give him some hot cocoa, and talk guns.
Old August 31, 2006, 12:24 PM   #7
springmom

Isa has it right. Flip it around...if you were lost in the woods and saw a campfire, would you rather walk up and be welcomed or walk up and be on the business end of a 30-06?

If he meant ill, you'd have already been dead.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old August 31, 2006, 12:29 PM   #8
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto the hot cocoa. I've had this happen several times over the years, and I've found there's a big difference between the folks you bump into close to civilization and those you encounter in the back country.

Those that take the trouble to go back country are there to hunt, fish, or enjoy nature's majesty, and you have that in common with them. I suppose you could run into a pot grower or "Deliverance" style red-neck, but I think that's really rare.

Years ago in that country, it was tradition to offer the warmth of the fire to strangers. I really hope it still is.

Alert, but relaxed and friendly is my rule of thumb.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old August 31, 2006, 12:33 PM   #9
Glenn E. Meyer

I forgot to say, before you went into the woods - did you stop at a weird small town where an alien looking boy played the banjo really well? If that were the case, I would not camp in the neighborhood or wear the new 5.11 chastity protector pants with lockable Kevlar crotch.

What to do if Bigfoot walks into your camp and gives you a bouquet of roses and sighs? Bigfoot like cocoa and friends.

Friendly alertness is cool. BTW, if you go camping, does someone stand watch all night and wait for the Wendingo? That's what I'm afraid of.
Old August 31, 2006, 12:41 PM   #10
Samurai

You could always just gun him down in cold blood and flee to Singapore!

What do you think you should do!?!? Say hello! Ask if he's enjoying this cold. Ask if he's had any luck hunting. Talk to the guy!!! If he wanted to go all "Benicio del Torro" on you, he'd have done it before you ever saw him.

Paranoia and guns don't mix. When you start thinking the WHOLE world is out to get you, that's when unsafe/rude behavior starts to manifest. Just be polite. He's armed, and so are you. Don't worry about it!

- Why is it that we fire 1,000 rounds and know that we need more practice, but yet we punch a bag 10 times and think we know how to fight?

- When in doubt, train, train, train...
Old August 31, 2006, 12:48 PM   #11
Edward429451

We've had that happen a few times while camping. We doled out some coffee to some hikers and all was well.

One time a carload of guys drove up the 4WD road and stopped. A bunch of guys got out and we stood up and asked what they wanted and they didn't say anything...My buddy got his MN in hand and I picked up my mini-14 and chambered a round ans asked again what they wanted. They answered this time and said they was looking for their friends campsite and that they'd look up the road further. They all clambered back in and drove off. Never heard from them again. We stayed up quite late that night to be sure no return suprise.
Old August 31, 2006, 01:46 PM   #12
threegun

I have heard of some horror stories starting with a stranger entering camp however the vast majority have no bad intentions. I would simply be polite and prepared. If things got weird I would get more firepower closer to me. If the slightest threatening act either verbal or physical happened I would draw and either shoot (if justified) or disarm. Better safe than sorry. Let the sheriff sort it out.
Old August 31, 2006, 01:59 PM   #13
teejhot.40cal

I have done a lot of camping over the years and couldn't tell you the number of times someone has walk into to my campsite. Everytime, they have left as friends. Give the man some coco and see what his story is.

Quote:
One other thing to consider is bringing along an old trusty 4 legged friend when you go camping. His or her eyes, ears, and nose are far superior to yours and he or she will alert you to 2 legged and 4 legged visitors. Worst comes to worst, you can feed him to hungry predators and run!

Man your lucky, my 4 legged friend would feed me to the predator while they ran.
Old August 31, 2006, 02:33 PM   #14
Sarge

If one of you were thinking fast you'd say "Howdy Pardner, hate to greet & run but nature calls and I'll be back to visit in a few."

Then sidle off a ways with your sidearm, and watch from the dark. Two can play this "Surprise" game.
Old August 31, 2006, 02:41 PM   #15
VirgilCaine

If he didn't have the manners to announce his entrance with a "hello there, mind if I approach?" I would be on alert.

Otherwise, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
Old August 31, 2006, 03:12 PM   #16
High Planes Drifter

In my whole life, and I've been hunting for over 20 years, I have never met an @$$hole in the woods. Met alot of folks that grew to be friends, but never a bad person. As a matter of fact, I stood in wedding not too long ago for a friend I met while rabbit hunting. The overwhelming majority of folks you run into in the woods, at least in my area, are folks just like yourself. I'd offer up a seat and cup of cocoa to the old guy and start chatting.
Old August 31, 2006, 03:13 PM   #17
Doug.38PR

Well, not all villains have the obvious look and manner in which you can see their intent early and are able to respond. Many have a way about them that appears non-hostile and even polite to lead you into a false sense of security or to subtly and gradually intimidate you into their control. I don't mean scare you, but buy themselves just enough time by distracting you or to get your mind on something else before they make their move on you.

Obviously the first response isn't pull your gun, or rifle as the case may be, and take aim. But neither should it be to let your guard down once he says hello and approaches with the first impression of being a lonely hunter looking for hot cocoa and good company.

Yes, as Captain Charlie said, most folk's in the country are more laid back and are a lot more hospitable. Far less likely to come across some weirdo. While I live in the big city of Houston, I spend very little time there. 80% of my life and job is outside Houston in more rural small towns and counties working with such people (something I really enjoy. Get to experience the real Bible Belt)

But, at the same time parks and wildlife areas have had occasional trouble with riff raff or some psycho wandering the country. In fact, I believe Big Bend national park has had A LOT of trouble with illegals and drug smugglers in their park terrorizing and even killing campers and even park rangers.
Old August 31, 2006, 04:06 PM   #18
HCfan

If he has a rifle, if he wanted to kill you, he would have done it at a distance (hence the rifle).

Offer him a seat at the fire, share you hot coco (we would have had a little bit of whiskey in it though) and chew the fat.

It's three on one if it comes down to having to protect yourself. I gather that the friends are equally armed as well?
Old August 31, 2006, 04:10 PM   #19

By the time "someone" has walked into camp one of us has already gone to take a leak and have a look around as well as listen. We greet them and offer some coffee or whatever we're having and a place to sit and visit. Almost everytime we have a nice chat with a lost, tired or confused hunter and get him going back where he wants to go.
Old August 31, 2006, 07:48 PM   #20
ceetee

I don't get to do a lot of camping these days... too many responsibilities, I guess. I'd say, though, that if I were in this situation, I'd also have to do the "Excuse me for a while..." thing. Probably with a roll of paper, so I wouldn't be expected back anytime soon.

Maybe I've just met too many bad people in my life. Most of 'em act just like reg'lar folks. They'll sit and chat, the whole time they're sizing you up. They're looking to see if you've got anything they want, and they're judging you on you're mindset. They're deciding whether or not to try something. They'll make their move when you least expect it.

You may never run into this kind of guy out in the woods. But they are out there.
Old August 31, 2006, 08:05 PM   #21
skipjack

I had an experience like this last fall in Pennsylvania. We have a cabin that is several miles off the hard road, back in the sticks. Two of us were in camp, when a nock comes at the door. We checked to see that it was 4 teenagers who had suffered a dead battery. My partner offered a jump, and we got them to sit in the bed of the pickup for the short drive to their vehicle. Upon arrival at the vehicle, I stood off to the side with a flashlight in hand, 1911 in my coat pocket. My companion was unarmed. We were careful, but cordial to our "guests". It kind of freaked us out to get company way out there, but we didn't let it show. We have had many visitors at camp over the years, but always in the daytime. Coffee or softdrinks are always offered, and we try to maintain a good rapport with the locals.
Old August 31, 2006, 08:15 PM   #22
jrklaus

If you are ever the one walking up...

one of the things they taught us in Boy Scouts was to announce your presence and request permission to enter the campsite. A little common courtesy could go a long way to alleviate concern in a situation like this. And if someone refuses the request to enter, respect it. If they grant permission, you may have just made a friend.
Old August 31, 2006, 08:22 PM   #23
Deaf Smith

I'd ask him if he knew how to dance. When he got that quizzled look on his face I'd whip out my hogleg and make him dance.... Teach him not to call out and ask permission to enter the camp.

On a serious side, since happly I shoot lots of IDPA I'd just ask him how I could help and but I'd keep track of his hands. If things did not look right I'd ask him to leave.
Old August 31, 2006, 08:24 PM   #24
bclark1

i would refrain from paranoia. referring to the original post, i think if you're smart enough to carry a gun you should be smart enough to read a situation and determine the difference between a lost hunter and a crazed mountain sociopath.

the wisconsin thing was mutually aggravated. i'd be upset if a guy was hunting on my land without permission, but you shouldn't act like a redneck ******* and escalate the situation by harassing and threatening when there are guns involved. some cultures are admittedly notorious in wisconsin (where my hunting land's at) for not recognizing private property and not always respecting seasons, but unless he's at your doorstep that's for the police to deal with, not you.

it's been posted around before that a lot of - certainly not all, and i wouldn't count on it - but a lot of wardens and rangers understand your concern and aren't going to pat you down for a CW if they run into on state land.
Old August 31, 2006, 09:09 PM   #25
Sarge

Quote:
jrklaus

one of the things they taught us in Boy Scouts was to announce your presence and request permission to enter the campsite. A little common courtesy could go a long way to alleviate concern in a situation like this. And if someone refuses the request to enter, respect it. If they grant permission, you may have just made a friend.
This was common knowledge in this country for centuries, and it's good to hear that the Scouts are passing it on. Common courtesy required a "Hello, the fire!" or "Hello, the camp!" prior to walking up on either, and failing to do so would likely get your navel introduced to the muzzle of a gun. 'Sneaks' were treated as malfeasants until they proved otherwise.

Times have changed and it's probably not a good idea to automatically shove a gun at anybody & everybody who walks up on your camp. In fact, it'd get you charged with a felony in many jurisdictions. This is not to say that you have to wait until you are ambushed to respond. But before you swing a hogleg on anybody, you had just better be able to justify your actions and articulate your reasonable response to what any 'reasonable man' would consider a threat of death or grave bodily injury.

Dammit, now I went and took the fun outta Dougie's latest thread. Sorry.