The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 1, 2001, 10:41 PM   #1
HarryB

Savage M69 Info?

J&G Sales in Prescott Arizona has some "security company" trade ins for $99.95. I cannot find any info on these shotguns. Curious as to if they are a good value for the buck and are they HD reliable? The page is http://www.shooterstore.com/acb/show...tGroup_ID=1645

Dave?
Old August 3, 2001, 10:45 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

According to The World's Fighting Shotguns by Thomas Swearengen;
The best known of these (fighting shotguns) were the Model 69R Police Riot Gun, and the Model 77E made for the Department of Defense in the 1960s. Both guns were actually identical, but were produced under different model numbers and in minor variations.
Savage offered their Model 69R initially as a Police Riot Gun. Sometime around 1972 its designation was changed to Police Gun. It was designed as an economical arm for police, guards, and security companies, as well as being suitable for civil disturbances and irregular warfare in all geographical areas. Its combat reliability in adverse environment had been proven by rigid military procurement tests, as well as by actual combat employment in Southeast Asia. These were facts about which Savage was quite proud. Savage liked to point out that operation of the gun was so simple it could be mastered by unsophisticated, indigenous peoples with only a small amount of instruction. Even formal marksmanship training was not required, because of its high hit-and-kill potential.
The Models 69R and 77E guns were 5-shot, 12 gauge, hammerless, side-ejecting, solid-frame, streamlined, nontakedown, slide-action shotguns. Receivers were milled from solid steel, and the barrels were permanently attached. The barrels were 20 inches (50.8 cm) long and were cylinder-bored. They displayed a shotgun bead sight. Magazine capacity was four rounds, so that a shell in the chamber made a total of five rounds. All guns were equipped with a disconnector and safety interlocks to prevent firing as the bolt closed. Sling swivels and rubber recoil pads were standard on all guns. Stocks and forearms were normally of uncheckered hardwood, stained walnut in color, while all metal parts displayed a commercial finish. Overall length of these guns was 40 inches (101.6 cm), and they weighed around 7 pounds (3.2 kg). Forearms initially possessed annular grooves for a nonslip surface, but later these were omitted, leaving the forearms smooth. An early variation of the Model 69R had its front sling swivel mounted on a clamp-type barrel band. later, this arrangement was discarded in favor of the sling swivel being attached directly to the barrel lug.

All in all these shotguns are considered a good deal if they're in good shape. The price seems, to me, to be pretty good also.
Old August 3, 2001, 11:54 AM   #3
HarryB

Outstanding response! I got more than I expected there... Might have to take a trip north to pick one up--at least I'll get out of the heat!

Thanks!
Old August 3, 2001, 12:09 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I remember these, the Army had some they used on guard duty. I recall no glitches. If these turnins are in fireable shape, it sounds like a good deal.

I seem to recall some of these were made in full choke, so marked on bbl..