The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 30, 2001, 12:40 PM   #1
ERRainman

I have an older police model Mossy 500 with just a pistol grip that I plan to have refinished. I also plan to add a Speedfeed stock to replace the pistol grip.

My question is how do I go about setting up ghost rings on this shotgun. This is not going to be an everyday gun. It's an around the house, 2nd fiddle to the 870, hit 'em over the head if shootin' doesn't work kinda gun that I'm not gonna spend a lot of money on. I can get the forcing cone lengthened free and the speedfeed is used. Refinshing is just to make it live longer and doesn't cost much.

I just want a decent set of ghost rings (used is OK) to round out the package.

Suggestions?
Old March 30, 2001, 12:47 PM   #2
jthuang

How about the factory Mossberg ghost rings? Available from Brownell's for about $40-50.

Justin
Old March 30, 2001, 02:25 PM   #3
ERRainman

My brain is already on vacation. Thanks for the reminder. Not that I can find those on Brownell's site.

Any suggestions for night sights? Just thinkin' how nice it might be for shootin' possums in the gargage cans at night.

ERRainman
Old March 31, 2001, 07:03 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

An ironsighted 22 with a flashlight taped under the bbl is a better possum setup,ERRainman. Trust me on this(G)...

Again, GR sights are nice but not essential for HD. Once out of the house and when using slugs, then their importance grows.

Just for fun, and possible elucidation, try this.

Run a tactical like the ones I've posted with both your 870 with GRs and that Mossy,once you've 86'd that PG. Keep the range inside 25 yards, shoot for both time and score.Back that one up with the same exercise shot at the max possible distance of a shot in your house, plus one yard.

I'll wager the usual flagon of mead that times will be nigh identical(Possibly better for the bead sighted weapon),and scores within 5%.