The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 13, 2017, 04:29 PM   #1
OhioGuy

Anyone carry a Walther PPQ?

I've carried an XD Mod.2 subcompact, and I also have a Walther PPS single-stack. My range/competition gun is a 5" PPQ M2 (the Q5 model). I love that gun! I shoot it better than any other model from any other manufacturer so far. I was telling someone this the other night, and opining how nice it would be to change my XD trigger to be more like Walther's, or how great it'd be if the PPS were a double-stack...when he said "Why don't you just carry a PPQ?"

It's a whole lot bigger than anything I've carried before, but it's about on par with a Glock 19...maybe a touch longer in the grip. I carry AIBW around the 1:30 position. I know some hybrid holsters worn at 4:30-ish conceal well, but I often need to get the gun on and off due to the places I have to visit...so something easily removed and inserted would be great.

My biggest concerns, I guess, would be concealing the long-ish grip, and the longer muzzle digging into my leg when I sit. But lots of people carry G19s AIWB and are quite happy doing so.

Anyone carry the PPQ? Or have recommendations on how to get a gun that size to work for carry?
Old September 13, 2017, 05:11 PM   #2
HighValleyRanch

Try carrying more at 12 o'clock or just to the right of centerline. That way, the barrel won't poke your thigh. Also try a Universal clip draw and trigger guard holster combo. This would eliminate the bulk of a holster and clip. This would give a much flatter package and use a secure belt to hold it flat.

The 5" PPQ looks closer to the glock 17 than the 19 in size.
Old September 13, 2017, 05:47 PM   #3
OhioGuy

Actually the grip length is the same across all PPQ models.

In this scenario I would get the standard 4" PPQ. Should've said that
Old September 13, 2017, 06:07 PM   #4
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
Actually the grip length is the same across all PPQ models.
I don't have one, but the PPQ website specs say height is 5.3" and the glock 17 is 5.4" whereas the glock 19 height is 4.99 inches.
Old September 13, 2017, 06:25 PM   #5
OhioGuy

Huh. I guess in that case the PPQ is kinda in between.

Walther does make a "mini PPQ" called the CCP, but it takes a single stack mag! Why make a double stack gun that holds 8 rounds?
Old September 13, 2017, 06:42 PM   #6
stephen426

The PPQ is a great shooting gun. If you can figure out how to carry a gun that size, I think you would be very well armed, especially with an extra mag or two. I've been carrying for some time now and I hate small of back carry. I spend part of my time in an office and part moving around. Small of back is fine when standing, especially if it is at a cant, but sitting for any period of time is hard.

I prefer 3-4 o'clock carry (right handed) since it is fast to draw and easy to protect from gun grabs. With that said, I had to go with a sub-compact gun so the grip would not stick out. I carry with a clip only as HighValleyRanch mentioned. It is thinner than any holster and pretty versatile. Don't wear your belt too tight or wear very tight pants because it will bother you after a while.

I suggest you get a training gun or something around that size to carry around the house and see how it feels. You will be very subconscious initially, but dress in dark colors and it will blend in. Best of luck to you!
Old September 13, 2017, 06:55 PM   #7
Uncle Malice

I carry mine AIWB frequently. I use a Tulster Profile holster or similar style. Kydex with stiff belt clip.
Old September 13, 2017, 07:06 PM   #8
OhioGuy

Maybe I need to learn to wear winter coats all year long!

Tulster lists a holster for the PPS, but not PPQ. I have the PPS and it's very easy to carry.
Old September 13, 2017, 07:21 PM   #9
Uncle Malice

I love in Phoenix and work in tech (i.e. - casual). The vast majority of the year is shorts and the shirt weather for me. Sometimes jeans and a hoodie if I ride my motorcycle. No issues concealing a full size gun.

I was paranoid when I first started carrying almost a decade ago. I always thought I was printing. I thought everyone knew. The truth is that nobody knows. Your average person isn't long at you closely enough to notice a tiny crease in your shirt where the but of the gun may show in certain angles. Those that are looking that closely and can tell are probably also carrying. I'm much more observant and can pick out minor changes in posture or other queues that indicate a person is carrying.

If you're not comfortable with a bigger gun, no need to carry one. Enjoy the PPS, it's great! But it's not difficult to carry a bigger gun. Just gotta find the type of holsters and position that works for your body.

Tulster doesn't make one for the PPQ, but other companies make the same style holster. I anyways get his if it's a gun he makes the holster for, but that is the style I prefer. Cheers!
Old September 13, 2017, 07:22 PM   #10
Areoflyer09

I'm not carrying my PPQ yet. Need to get the holster ordered first. I had one the Black Ar h Holsters for my P938 so I will go with them again for the PPQ.

https://www.blackarchholsters.com/co...walther-ppq-m2
Old September 13, 2017, 07:55 PM   #11
Pinky Carruthers

I usually carry a PPS but I carried a P99 for years in a Bladetech holster at 4 o'clock.
SOM
Old September 13, 2017, 08:09 PM   #12
hodaka

I have both a PPS and a PPQ. I mostly carry the PPQ in an Aliengear holster.
Old September 15, 2017, 09:19 AM   #13
Fishbed77

You should look into the Walther P99C AS. It's essentially a PPQ (the PPQ just being a variant of the P99 with revised trigger and aesthetics) in Glock 26 size, but with a better trigger.

Like the P99AS, it uses Walter's DA/SA "Anti-Stress" trigger, which frankly makes it safer for carry than the PPQ trigger.
Old September 15, 2017, 10:35 AM   #14
sigarms228

While I usually CCW my Walther PPS these days I still CCW my Walther PPQ 9MM from time to time in a JM Custom Kydex IWB model 4 holster. I only CCW SF pistols in an all kydex holster because of their superior retention, easy holstering, and full coverage of trigger guard.
Old September 20, 2017, 05:23 AM   #15
Snuffy308

I've got a aiwb kydex for a PPQ but just haven't crossed that threshold into carrying it. The trigger is just a little "too good" if you know what I mean. I know it's a little irrational fear on my part because I have no problem carrying other sf with no manual safety at aiwb such as glocks or s&w. Even carry a no safety s&w 40c and it has a trigger that is scary light with almost no pretravel. Kinda like the first time you carried a 1911 cocked and locked ( which I now do and have done for years on occasion).
Old September 20, 2017, 06:39 AM   #16
mrdaputer

I carry 9mm m1 in the 3:30 position with a slight cant in my Theis holster. I use to be a XD guy till I tried a Walther.
Old September 20, 2017, 07:45 AM   #17
Fishbed77

Quote:
Walther does make a "mini PPQ" called the CCP, but it takes a single stack mag!
The CCP is in no way a "mini PPQ." Is a completely different, gas-delayed-blowback design made by Umarex. It is also a much lower-quality firearm than the PPQ.