The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 25, 2015, 08:17 AM   #1
cowboys1062

Hair trigger

I own an Astin Halleck Mountain Rifle in cap and ball. Its a good rifle and shoots accurate. The only issue that I have is the firing trigger is way,way, to light. The set trigger works just fine. When I set the set trigger and then pull the firing trigger, you can about just touch it and Bang! it goes off! It seems after it is set you can breath on it and it will fire. I was thinking that after being set it should take about 2 or 3 ounces of pull to fire it. Am I right in thinking this? Ive tried to adjust the screw in between the two triggers to see if this would help but it didnt work. Is there another screw somewhere else to adjust? The Lock seems to function correctly,nice and crisp! Cock and Half Cock with a strong main spring. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what did you do to fix the problem? Respectfully, cowboys1062.
Old February 25, 2015, 11:06 AM   #2
44 Dave

The set trigger works independent of the lock, you can remove the trigger assly. and determine where the problem is.
Old February 25, 2015, 01:59 PM   #3
Pahoo

Isolate and adjust.

Quote:
Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what did you do to fix the problem?
I would say that I have run into this problem on about three times The most recent one, will take a bit longer to fix as the problem is in an older lock as oppose to it's set. The other two problems were in the set. I am familiar with your fine rifle but am not familiar with it's set. Some sets have two adjusting screws and some only have one. I suspect yours might have the two. The first is the one usually found between the two triggers, on the set plate and the second one I located to the rear and it's job is to apply the proper tension on the set spring. Just make sure that back trigger's arm isn't riding too high. ...
Whenever I suspect that the set is not properly communicating with the lock, I do as 44 Dave has suggested and separate the two. Might also want to do a historical search in this forum as this problems has been recently discussed. ...

Good Luck and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; February 25, 2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old February 25, 2015, 03:15 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Austin Halleck is gone and all their remaining stock was bought by Traditions around 2010. However, light is what set triggers do. Highly possible it's adjustable though.
Downside is the scarcity of owner's manuals. Appears to be some on the assorted auction sites.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=466649156