The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 16, 2015, 09:59 PM   #1
cowboys1062

Austin Halleck Mountain Rifle

When I first got into muzzleloading I purchased an Austin Halleck Mountain Rifle. It has the prettiest curly maple tigger striped stock that you could see. I ended up putting four or five coats of Tru Oil on it when I first got it. The problem is that it is way to glossy( shiny ) to my likeing. My question is..... What do I need to do short of stripping the stock to take the glossy look away. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old March 17, 2015, 03:46 AM   #2
DoubleDeuce 1

Try to knock the gloss down with a very light rubbing with 0000 steel wool. Then get a piece of worn denim from the leg of some old blue jeans. Use the denim, finish side down, to buff out the true oil. Imagine buffing or polishing shoes or boots. It might take some time, but it could be worth while.
Old March 17, 2015, 09:48 AM   #3
Pahoo

It works !!!

Quote:
Try to knock the gloss down with a very light rubbing with 0000 steel wool.
This will work and a method I routinely do when I use Tru-Oil and need to turn from glossy to semi or satin. Then DoubleDeuce says "lightly" it means just that. Also would just barely touch any peaks of sharp edges. On the use of denim, try a small area and see what that gets you. I have never done this but have used excelsior, lightly as well. I mowt just wax after the steal wool. .....

Be Safe !!
Old March 17, 2015, 12:18 PM   #4
cowboys1062

DoubleDeuce 1 and Pahoo

I will take your advice and see where that gets me. I will keep the both of you posted. Thanks for the Reply. cowboys1062