The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 26, 2013, 04:46 PM   #26
PatientWolf

Obama may want to make asking the question mandatory, but that doesn't make answering mandatory.

I wonder if somehow forcing people to ask a question violates the right to free speech...
Old January 26, 2013, 05:07 PM   #27
Scorch

Well, at least it wasn't your proctologist asking. You wouldn't have been able to say you looked him in the eye and answered.

I have been asked many times, usually after a comment by some PC gun hater. And I answer "Why, I am a card-carrying life member of the NRA. Of course I own a gun!"

It does cause a minute or so of great concern at a traffic stop when the LEO spots shot shells on the dashboard of my pickup.
Old January 26, 2013, 06:49 PM   #28
The Great Mahoo

As a health care provider, I don't generally don't think to ask people about firearms. It can be relevant, but not for what brings most people to the doctor. But, whenever someone is showing signs of suicidal or violent tendencies, that's when these kind of questions pop up; it's just something that has to be done in these kind of cases. And of course, whenever soon-to-be parents are fretting of what to do, some friendly advise on gun safety is always good.

Then again, I'm not exactly anti-gun... If patients want to talk guns, I could keep them there all day! Otherwise its back to boring small talk with most of them.

As for me, the last provider I saw was someone I shoot clays with now and again. Most of that visit was discussing where to find a left-handed shotgun for him.
Old January 26, 2013, 07:07 PM   #29
pat701

just say "i have none"
Old January 26, 2013, 11:27 PM   #30
cen

The company I work for, (since 2000), had an intake form that asked about guns in the home. Since we've gone to an electronic health record in 2009, I don't believe it's a question my nurses ask patients now. When we did ask on the form, I never had anyone say they weren't going to answer or said much about it. I could never really figure out what it had to do with their health care and I really thought and do think that questions are irrelevant. Me knowing that someone has guns doesn't help me take care of them. I don't need to waste my time getting info that doesn't help me do my job.
Old January 28, 2013, 05:03 PM   #31
Skans

When my wife was pregnant and we went to see her doctor (complications meant some frequent doctor visits), we got into a conversation - he was hinting around politics trying to figure out which side of the spectrum I was on. Now, I won't blurt anything out about guns, but I have no problem proudly declaring what political party I am affiliated with. Once he knew that, he started talking about guns....in a positive light. It turns out that he was in the market for a 50BMG rifle. Over that 8 month period or so, we got to be pretty good friends, and after some lengthy discussions, he finally settled on a 50BMG rifle - went for a Barret bolt action - didn't do the 82A1 that I was rallying behind, but we had fun talking about it.
Old January 29, 2013, 12:48 AM   #32
Ruthless4christ

Quote:
My response would have been, Doc, that's none of your business. Don't ever ask me again.
Given the tone of the question I think this was perfect time to evangelize and possibly get a convert to our side. One of my main occupations lately has been to get non gun owners to become gun owners, and we need all the doctors we can on our side with what is coming.
Old January 29, 2013, 01:29 AM   #33
egor20

My doctor boards his horse with me and shoots on my range, so its a moot point.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 29, 2013, 08:04 AM   #34
CajunBass

Good grief. What a sad world some of you must live in when you can't give a polite answer to a simple question. Yes, I've said I'd answer "none of your business" on a written form to that question, but if a man I've been seeing for years, who I not only consider to be my doctor, but my friend, asks me what kind of guns I own (he alrady knows I do), I'm sure as hades not going to be rude to him.

Some doctor at an ER, I don't know. Yea, I might go with the "none of your concern" route, but even I'm not exactly ashamed of it. I might tell him/her too.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 29, 2013, 08:32 AM   #35
PawPaw

My Doc and I had this discussion last month, when he came in complaining about paperwork, gov't regs, and assorted nonsense associated with running a business. We got my medical issues out of the way, then he stood to leave.

"Wait, Doc", I asked. "Aren't you going to ask me if I have any guns?"

"Hell", he reflected. "I figured that you have one in your pocket."

"I do! Wanna see it?"

He snorted and told me he'd see me next month. He's an old-school doc, very accomplished surgeon, and all-around nice guy.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 29, 2013, 08:41 AM   #36
Skans

I think most of us can distinguish between a doctor who's being a drone for gun control and one who is just having a friendly conversation. These are two different things, like comparing Apples and Oranges.