The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old August 15, 2005, 08:49 PM   #1
xrageofangelsx

Attenion Ohio seeking CCW-ers, especially those who are from Indiana

As I have explained in a few other posts, I am from Indiana and residency in the fine state. I go to school in Cincinnati and I rent in Kentucky (until Sep. 1st, where I will be moving (again) to Cincinnati. I have signed up for the 12 hour CCW Ohio classes and realize that I cannot get an Ohio CCW because I am not an Ohio resident. Since Florida offers the option of allowing out of state people to obtain out of state Florida CCWs (which Florida honors), I believe I will be pursuing to obtain a Florida CCW license. Has anyone else gone through this process and did they run into any trouble with Florida not accepting their application? I wish there were an easier way to go about being able to legally conceal carry in Ohio, without losing my Indiana residency. Any advice is more than welcome, unless that advice is to switch residency. I think Ohio is fine, but I only plan on staying for another year and a half until I can graduate from Seminary. Thanks!
Old August 16, 2005, 10:10 AM   #2
John Ringo

The permit that you would obtain in Florida would probably be a "Non-Resident Permit". That might not hold-up in Ohio either because it is not technically a Resident Permit. I believe this is the case.

Bottom line....you have an interesting situation living over in KY (probably Covington), going to school in Cincy, and being an IN resident. That is going to make it difficult in terms of address.

I would say to move to Ohio, establish the address, get the class under your belt, and then get the permit. That is probably the easiest.....

I think so....

"I like these calm little moments before the storm (Stansfield, The Professional)."
Old August 16, 2005, 11:04 AM   #3
RWK

http://www.packing.org/ is an EXCELLENT source re CCL/CWP reciprocity and recognition.
Old August 19, 2005, 07:39 PM   #4
xrageofangelsx

Anyone else?
Old August 19, 2005, 08:00 PM   #5
Trockstroh

I live in Ohio and I am a UC student, and I agree with John Ringo The best thing to do would be to move here take the class and then apply for your permet. I also know a guy who teaches the 12 hour class for $65 so send me a PM if you want his name and number.
Old August 19, 2005, 08:03 PM   #6
xrageofangelsx

I work in downtown Cincinnati, and while out and about during Lunch I walked down to the license branch off of Court Street. While there, I picked up a packet of info that gives advice on what to do to see Ohio residency (strongly against my will) and I notice that you can become an Ohio resident the instant you move or work there. My question is this: since I now work in Ohio, can I simply get a State ID (not drivers license) and then apply for Ohio's CCW? Anybody else know? Help! Also, thanks.
Old August 19, 2005, 08:35 PM   #7
axslingerW

I live in Missouri and have a Florida ccw permit. It's the same permit for residents and non-residents. It allows me to carry in Arkansas (where a Missouri permit is not honoured). Being a veteran I had to submit a copy of my DD214 (discharge summary) to show a safty course, a fingerprint card, a photo, and a copy of my birth certificate.
http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/apply.html
check it out for yourself!
Old August 21, 2005, 10:44 PM   #8
xrageofangelsx

A second option I am pursuing is seeing if I can obtain dual residency for the states of Indiana and Ohio. According to a driver's license pamplet a person can claim Ohio residency (yes, conflicting with the CCW requirements for residency...) as soon as they move, work, transfer their children to school in, or sign a lease. I have done three of the several requirements and could obtain Ohio residency according to the BMV's literature. I am still wondering if I could obtain an Ohio State ID and get a concealed weapons permit from that, and establish an Ohio residency without losing my Indiana one. Anyone else have any comments other than "change everything to Ohio?"
Old August 22, 2005, 03:36 PM   #9
John Ringo

I got my CCW in Franklin County (Columbus). Up there is was required (on the application) that you be an Ohio Resident living in Ohio for at least a month or an adjacent county for 45 days. The big thing that they are looking for is an Ohio address.

In short, if you have an Ohio ID, address, and the application fee then you are fine. I think that you can use either an Ohio Driver's License or Ohio State ID. However, you cannot have both. To obtain either one you need to turn in your existing Driver's license. You CANNOT legally have two driver's licenses. Only one. If you have a driver's license you CANNOT have an Ohio State ID. One or the other only.

So to establish residency, you are going to have to obtain an Ohio Driver's License. Bottom line.

"I like these calm little moments before the storm (Stansfield, The Professional)."
Old August 22, 2005, 09:04 PM   #10
Recon1017

residency

When I applied and got mine I was told you needed to be a resident of Ohio for at least 5 years.
Old August 22, 2005, 09:50 PM   #11
xrageofangelsx

I talked to the sheriff of Clermont county as per Trockstroh's recommendation and he gave me some excellent recommendations. The State ID clause would work if the application did not ask you where you paid your federal taxes and where you are registered to vote at. Psssh. Lame. Looks like I will be getting an out of state Florida permit. Thanks, everyone. Also, if anyone else has any ideas, keep them coming!
Old August 23, 2005, 09:23 AM   #12
John Ringo

The problem with a State of Ohio ID is that you have to turn in your current valid Driver's License to obtain it. That is something that they probably didn't tell you. IDs are issued at Ohio State License Registrars. The friendly clerks there will ask you to hand them your current valid driver's license or other valid state ID on the spot. It's the law. So the choice would be to have a valid Driver's License OR have a State of Ohio ID. You could not have both.

As a friendly caution...one big issue walking around Ohio with an out-of-state permit is that local officers might not recognize it on the spot. You can't assume that all law enforcement officers out on the street in Ohio are going to be up to date on all reciprocity rules and regulations. Concealed Carry is still relatively new in Ohio, and many agencies are still learning the ropes.

I would consult an attorney on this matter if I were you. It might save you a lot of time and money down the line. People here have given you some good advice, but our advice isn't going to help you in court if something would happen to go down at 12:30 AM on a Wendesday night in Cincy. A "Non-Resident Permit" from any other state will probably get you arrested. It's NOT an Official State of Florida Permit.

A "Non-Resident Permit" for any state is a permit that gives a non-resident legal rights to carry in THAT particular state. Virginia has this program. It probably does not function as an "Official" State CCW permit. Meaning, it might not hold any water whatsoever outside of that state.

I am not trying to be a buzzkill...I'm trying to keep you out of harms way here. Consult an attorney...

Old August 23, 2005, 06:45 PM   #13
xrageofangelsx

Anyone know if the NRA provides free attorney consulation or know of any Ohio lawyers that would give free attorney advice regarding this? Finding an attorney that is gun friendly would be hard enough. Us poor college kids need all the help we can get. Mwahaha.
Old August 26, 2005, 06:32 PM   #14
9mm1033

Your location states: Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio (in that order). Would it not be more feasable to remain a citizen of Indiana? The Ohio CCW law is confusing. I'll bet IN and KY conceal carry laws are less restrictive than OH.
Old August 28, 2005, 08:16 PM   #15
xrageofangelsx

Quote:
Your location states: Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio (in that order). Would it not be more feasable to remain a citizen of Indiana? The Ohio CCW law is confusing. I'll bet IN and KY conceal carry laws are less restrictive than OH.
I agree, the Ohio CCW law is confusing and awkward. I am remaining a <i>resident</i> of Indiana and that will not change. However, since I will be living in Ohio ten months out of the year because of school (am I explaining this again? I need to chage my profile so it says Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky [in that order]), I need a valid license to carry in Ohio since Ohio does not honor Indiana's permit. Ohio and Kentucky conceal laws are much less restrictive but they don't do me much good when I am in the state of Ohio.
Old August 28, 2005, 08:55 PM   #16
swmike

In reading your original post and researching online the various CCW laws, I fornd that Cincinatti does not allow Sale, Transfer, possession of semi-automatic weapons. What do they think. Nobody gets killed with revolvers?

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old August 28, 2005, 09:33 PM   #17
xrageofangelsx

I think you received some bum information. Cincinnati allows all of those things and has several firearm dealers within city limits.. the biggest and best of which is Target World @ http://www.targetworld.net