The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 29, 2005, 11:12 PM   #51
rangermonroe

I would move to Savannah and be a fireman, and pretend I was a ranger in real life.

And tell my mom.
Old May 30, 2005, 12:55 PM   #52
BillCA

Obviously some people think this is a far fetched idea -- and to some degree it is. But newspapers carry at least one or two accounts every year of the cops bagging someone for wanting to have a spouse whacked by some 3rd party. We know from experience this means at least 3-10 times that many actually occur - still it's a pretty small number, methinks.

It's much more common for the ex-spouse to try to do the job themselves. And it's not outside the realm of possibility that your new girlfriend's former significant other has decided to take out both of you.

I spent the time writing the previous post because I've "BTDT" without getting the T-shirt, for a friend.

Not too many years ago, I found myself in a similar situation. A lady friend's ex decided that the two of us must be an "item" and decided he was going to take us both out. His downfall was letting her know about his decision ahead of time, via phone, and she managed to record it. Cops were sympathetic and unhelpful when it came to defense other than to keep the doors locked and "Call 911 if he shows up". Thanks a bunch.

Managed to get her a R.O. which the judge, in chambers, told her lawyer that it would act as her CCW. Helped her buy a very nice used Model 65 and got her to the range four times for practice. He showed up when she wasn't home and left her a nice "reminder" -- a knife through her photo on her pillow. The next day her ex tried to get her daughter out of school and failed. Third day her car sprouted 2 flat tires at work through the sidewalls. Daughter was sent to her Uncle's house, the PD notified in each case and they claimed they couldn't find him. She rented a car and stayed in a hotel near work for 4 days. I picked up her mail from a helpful neighbor, made sure I wasn't followed and gave it to the hotel in a manila envelope for her. At the end of 4 days I had managed to spot him leaving his work each day and gave that info to the PD. On day 5 they stopped him and since he's 6'3" 210 lbs they used four cars. He fought and lost. During the time between his arrest and trial, he tried again, this time with a molotov cocktail on the front porch. Neighbor identified the guy & car to the cops and he'll be out of jail next year.

As a couple of side notes...
Never tell your boss or your landlord of these things in advance. She told her boss and after the tire puncturing, which she reported to her boss, they told her that any further incidents of "violence" and they would have to let her go "to protect their other employees". Nice, huh?

She did tell her landlord too, so he would be aware since he was refurbishing his other rental across the street. After the porch fire (a new front door, moulding and some paint fixed it) he raised her rent almost 60%, effective in 3 months. His excuse what that his insurance rates went "way up" because of it. She managed to negotiate a delay until summer so she could change school districts for her daughter then moved closer to her new job.

You'll notice that I've left out what I did as defensive measures. No need to go into that other than to say that staying alert is key, along with using your head to think through the situation.
Old May 30, 2005, 02:07 PM   #53
novus collectus

I have been having fun with this thread too and making jokes, but Bill CA has a good point. I can think of the high-profile cases of this happening in my area over the past 15 years. Three cops (on three different incidences) were hired out to kill a spouse or to kill a rival srtip club owner. There was even a case where a Md politician hired someone to kill her opponnent. And the most haineous was where a father hired a man to kill his disabled by disease son so he could collect on the insurance and end the expensive medical bills (the killer ended up killing the kid, the nurse, and his ex-wife to get rid of witnesses). I am sure there are plenty of non-high-profile cases that the news never even mentioned.

BillCA, you also make a good point that the police might not help because it may be hard to prove that they are conspiring to kill and they may not take any action because of that.
Old May 31, 2005, 08:03 AM   #54
bclark1

i'm with the "i'd be toast" group.
i'd carry regardless of local laws, and carry a backup too. but that's it. i could go to the family cabin and sit out with my 30-06, scope up to 9x, with my NV bino's, but i know i'd never see it coming. i'm nothing special but i'm sure i could do it to myself or most people. unless i could afford the presidential countersniper detail i'd have to resign myself to the label of "screwed."
Old May 31, 2005, 08:08 AM   #55
goalie

I'd wake up, turn off the alarm, and get on with real life. If real life ever did involve such a convoluted scenario, I would likely just leave and use a different name for a while in another state or country.
Old May 31, 2005, 12:12 PM   #56
XDoctor

I'd cash out everything I have, pick up a Barret .50 and a decent sailboat and head for the carribean. It seems like a good time to retire anyway.
Old May 31, 2005, 12:42 PM   #57
Greenfurniture

Need is the ultimate monkey.
Old June 3, 2005, 05:07 PM   #58
Beren@THR

I may get smacked around for bumping this thread, but:

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...71/detail.html

Snippet:

DNA samples from the widow of a western Pennsylvania doctor are being requested as part of a murder investigation by Ohio Highway Patrol, according to court papers.

Dr. Gulam Moonda, 65, of Hermitage, Mercer County, was killed May 13 on the Ohio Turnpike. Donna Moonda said an unknown man robbed and shot her husband while she had their car pulled over to change drivers, according to a police report.

The woman's samples will be compared with suspected blood stains on clothing and towels that were removed this week from the Center Township apartment of her alleged boyfriend, Damian Bradford, according to the affidavit.
Old June 3, 2005, 05:16 PM   #59
CarbineCaleb

I'd set a trap - a small table and a generous portion of fabulous antipasto and chianti surrounded by motion detectors at each door. Then count on getting the drop on Guido while he dines. Oh yes, and I'd shoot him with a Beretta loaded with Fiocchi ammunition, so at least he'd feel at home while he was shot (best to be a good host).
Old June 4, 2005, 06:32 AM   #60
Aikibiker

DVD box set of the sopranos, tied to a stick, propping up a box. Should take care of the hitman.

As for the ex. Ad in the local classifieds: SWF seeks computer gifted M for snuggling and star trek chat + her phone number.

I am not a nice man.

~Joel

TFL survivor, THR member, TFL member once again!
Old June 4, 2005, 07:30 PM   #61
115grfmj

I'll play too......

Lay an ambush......the advantage always favors the ambusher, if the ambushee doesnt suspect. Heres were those great hunting skills come in
use. Set up some bait, act as if you were home, park the car in the driveway,
leave the door unlocked. Set up in a good spot of concealment, with your favorite hunting rifle. When your hit person pops in pop him.
Old June 4, 2005, 09:34 PM   #62
Purdue_XD40

hmmmmm...hitman after me?

well...i would probably get shoulder holster for my XD40, couple mags of some nice expanding HPs, then a hip holster of a springfield 1911 also with some nice deep penetrating and expanding bullets

then when home, ill buy a SPAS12 shotgun with OOO buck shot, right near my bed. then an CAR-15, AK-47 just for ****s and giggles, and a FAL with a night vision/thermal scope, just in case he tries to take me out in the night time.

but thats about all

hhaha

Springfield XD .40 4" black Service Model - 2 hi cap mags
Saiga .308 - 16"
Saiga 7.62x39 - 20"
Ruger P85 - 9mm
Winchester 12 Guage Defender - 7+1 - OOO Federal Buck
Old June 4, 2005, 09:53 PM   #63
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Well, we're all having some fun with this one, but there's a couple of things you haven't considered. A professional killer? You'll never know who he or she is, or what they look like. You'll never know where or when, but it WILL be of a time and place of his choosing... and his advantage. And, you'll never know the method. Everyone's assuming your demise would be by means of a firearm. Even if so, a scoped .308 can take you out at over 300 meters. Could you spot him? Or how 'bout a couple of Kinepacks with a blasting cap wired to your ignition system in your car? How 'bout something more exotic like the venom of Dendrobates dabbed on the sharpened point of an umbrella? (dead within seconds, KGB actually used this). The bottom line is make sure your soul belongs to God 'cause your a** belongs to that hit man.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old June 5, 2005, 10:52 AM   #64
4V50 Gary
Staff

Write a trust for yourself, leave her out and to really piss her off, make the succeeding beneficiary to everything the National Park Service. Only YOU can prevent forest fires.
Old June 5, 2005, 05:27 PM   #65
Ozzieman

If a professional killer has you in mind for his next house payment

Say your prayers, get things in order, and make your peace with god, your dead. Some one like that coming after you having a gun on your person will do you no good.
There not going to come up to you and give you a written notice that there going to kill you.
There going to follow you some where you least expect it and put one in the back of your head and quickly fade away.
Go to the poliece and HIDE
Old June 5, 2005, 05:34 PM   #66
49hudson

Laugh.
Old June 5, 2005, 05:44 PM   #67
cuate

Wasn't a hitman, was a person

Bought a small automatic, wrapped in in a shop towel and put in rear pocket. Had friend call him (Ex-LEO) and inform him phone call was taped from him to me, his job was in danger, his ass was in danger, and I was waiting for him to tell me whether he just wanted to ya ya or wrestle like first graders or meet on the riverbank and pop caps at each other. He lost interest and moved on.
Old June 23, 2005, 06:09 AM   #68
big daddy 9mm

I will play along too....

I would strap on two mag revolvers and two semi autos and lt the poliece know and I would stay in public areas as much as i could or live in a house with concrete walls.
Old June 23, 2005, 06:11 AM   #69
big daddy 9mm

let me think...

just an idea but maybe you could move and grow every bit of facial hair you have
Old June 23, 2005, 06:58 PM   #70
Trockstroh

I would get into my camo and get into the woods and the hunter will become the hunted. Side arm would be a Springfield 1911 and I would be sporting a USMC M40A3 I may also carry a MP5 Just incase I would get in a situation where I am in tight quarters.
Old June 23, 2005, 09:01 PM   #71
TomNash

Anyone who is human can bleed. Even if the 'hitman' is a real life version of Van Dammit, your bullets will still kill him just as surely as his bullets could endanger you.

If the potential killer is paid to do the job, they are in it to get money, you are in it to save your life. Determination in a fight means much more than equipment and sometimes skill. Just ask a Minuteman.

Tom
Old June 23, 2005, 11:05 PM   #72
F350Lawman

Well it's a fun thought, so why not induldge it?? JMHO, but...

1. very few TRUE pros out there

2. unlikely your wife will no how to contact TRUE pro

3. unlikely your wife can pay a TRUE pro

4. with the element of suprise gone, even against a formidable foe you have GREATLY increased your odds...especially if he is still operating under the mistaken assumption that you are in the dark about the situation

And for the wise guy cracking on the cops...we've been kicking the crap out of organized crime for the past 1/4 of a century... where have you been??? That's why THEY are hiring low-life outsiders (expendable) even to do THEIR own dirty work. They shy away from the stuff they did with impunity not so long ago for fear of arrest and prosecution at the hands of the same LEOs yer' cracking on... not from fear of you and your perfect score at the range.
Old June 23, 2005, 11:48 PM   #73
sm

There are folks in certain Industries, and Professions that are indeed Targets of Thugs.

These Persons have access to valuables, portable wealth, information, whatever. Perhaps not assainations, but kidnapping of themselves, or family to force them to obtain the valuables. Back in my day, I would be kept advised by Federal , State and Local LEO as to reports of such Professional Thugs.

Posts 29, 32, 52 for instance DO provide great advice and suggestions.

Was it not long ago a group of organized gang members entered a Jewlery Store with guns? [ CA IIRC] The store owners had been trained , including the use of firearms. This was a Columbian Gang, they would come in by force, take the goods, put in a FedEx box and drop in a drop off box. So even if found out, the goods were en- route elsewhere. The store owners defended themselves.

IIRC a Branch Bank Mgr in the Midwest was kidnapped on a Weekend and forced to open her bank.

Do you have access to anything of value someone might want? Does your wife wear a nice diamond ring? Did the Steam Cleaners doing the carpet notice a firearm collection, fine silver or china? Maybe that 15 year old daughter caught the plumber's fancy?

One never knows the where or when of next encounter - CRSam

I know of a situation where a lady at the Car Wash had an experience. Attractive, nice jewlery, Business Suit and fine car. One of the workers at the Car Wash took note. Went inside and made copies of her key ring in the vehicle, got her address off the registration in the glove box.

What if's are great and can be fun. What if's can be useful tools in the Real World as well.
Old June 24, 2005, 06:45 AM   #74
Long Path

I'd go to the newspaper and publish my revised will without my ex listed as a beneficiary to the Hummels.

Oh. Wait-- then I'd have to publicly that I had a prized collection of Hummel figurines.

Nope. Better just to risk it.
Old June 24, 2005, 07:12 AM   #75
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

I would carry an NEF Handi Rifle in .300 Win Mag in a briefcase, and duct-tape a trauma plate to my back.