The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 14, 2001, 11:13 PM   #1
jakester

HOWA Rifles???

Ordered a 243Win HOWA bolt action rifle today. After debating between a Savage and Remington for several weeks, noticed the Howa article in a recent rifle magazine. My trusted Gun dealer was leaning me towards Savage (for the money and "out-of-the-box" accuracy). When I mentioned Howa, I caught a glimmer in his eyes. He compares them with Savage for accuracy, but closer to Remington for astetics. For my "dirt cheap" range gun-to-be, he also recommended the Tasco Varmitmaster scope. Prices: Howa $319, Tasco $86.
Sound like a good combo for a range fun gun???

Any Howa owners out there with comments to share?
Old December 15, 2001, 09:51 PM   #2
leej

An excellent rifle with outstanding workmanship.

Lock time is slow but this is actually an advantage in the reliablilty of ignition. The Howa will fire when other weapons fail due to extremes of cold and if you are an acomplished rifelman you will already have developed a good follow through and the increased lock time will bother you not a wit. Lock time is about on par with the 98 mauser.

As push feed actions go it is definetely one of the better ones.
Old December 15, 2001, 10:26 PM   #3
jakester

Thanks for the Vote of Confidence

Everything I have read and heard about the Howa's seems positive. I was ready to buy an "overpowered" Savage (300 Rem Ultra Mag), merely because I had the fever to buuy and too little budget for a Winchester, Remington, Browning, etc. I may still have to budget for that Savage....just for the heck of it.

Thanks again for the feedback. Sould pick up my new rifle on Tuesday.....then have to let it sit for a couple weeks through the holidays before I can get a chance to go to the range.
Old December 15, 2001, 11:44 PM   #4
C.R.Sam

HOWA good.

Sam
Old December 16, 2001, 10:11 PM   #5
Fatelvis

Howa makes a great rifle, especially for the money! Weatherby Vanguards are really just fancy Howas. Buy it, you`ll like it!
Old December 17, 2001, 01:27 AM   #6
yorec

My wife's hunting rifle is a Howa, in .270. I have nothing but good things to say about that gun, you should be very pleased.
Old December 17, 2001, 12:39 PM   #7
WIL TERRY

HOWA RIFLES...

GOOD GUNS!!!
I'VE BEEN SHOOTING A DIXON-HOWA [ ANYONE ELSE REMEMBER THOSE? ] 30/06 SINCE 1967. I'VE YET TO SEE ANY '06 SHOOT BETTER OR AT HIGHER VELOCITIES.
THINK I PAID 140 BUCKS FOR IT...IF MEMORY SERVES.
Old December 18, 2001, 12:51 PM   #8
Smokey Joe

Well, HOWA bout that! (Sorry, couldn't resist the opportunity.)
Old December 18, 2001, 10:03 PM   #9
jakester

Thanks for the Feedback

Was suppose to arrive today, but they didn't get to their suppliers. Will pick it up on Thursday. Anxious to make a trip to the range. Saw my first Howa at a different gun shop today in 223. WHAT A SMOOTH ACTION! I've handled Winchester, Ruger, Remington, Savage, Browning, Sako, and Weatherby rifles in my search for a 243. I would say it was the smoothest action of the lot. If it is as good at shooting.....may buy two more barreled actions for my boys and make my own special stocks for their first hunting rifles.
Old January 30, 2002, 09:23 AM   #10
AlexGRT

Hey Jakester, I too am looking for an economical hunting setup. I've recently moved to rural region for the first time, so I don't think buying the best will cover for my skills or lack there of. I was comtemplating on purchasing a rifle from Savage or Howa. I know that the Savage brand has garnered a lot of following, just wanted to know how your Howa has served you. Please fill us all in on your experiences. Thanks
Old February 17, 2002, 02:37 AM   #11
jakester

AlexGRT

Well, I think it shoots good.....had a small problem with my scope mounting, so I failed to zero the first time out. Shimmed the rear mount and it's doing great now. Mine is a 243. Learned a trick with the 243...zero at 50 yds and it returns to that point at 200yds. Only had time for the 50yds zero, but very good @ about 1"-1.5". I am not a veteran rifleman yet, so it is probably capable of a lot more accuracy than I can currently achieve. Plan to put a Howa 30-06 in my collection before the year's end.
Old February 17, 2002, 11:10 AM   #12
yorec

Is the stock bedded? If not that would be my first step in wringing out a little more accuracy. I'll bet that HOWA will do better than sub MOA.

Congrats and have fun with it!
Old February 17, 2002, 11:35 AM   #13
Fatelvis

I had two Weatherby VGX`s (Howa made), and LOVED `em! Accurate, and well made, I just wish they would chamber them in .270 Weath Mag again!
Old February 17, 2002, 12:21 PM   #14
kelly mcmillan

We don't list them in our catalog but we do make stocks for Howa actions, so if the need ever arises give us a call.
Old February 28, 2002, 08:26 PM   #15
S.F.S

Jake,
I also am interested in getting a Howa Rifle, Im looking at the 1500 Hunter, wood stock blued barrel no sights.
How is yours doing? Any problems at all with it?
Thanks,
Scott
Old March 1, 2002, 05:35 PM   #16
-Yo-

The Howa varmint with the laminated thumbhole stock and stainless barrel is a very nice set up for the money (About $500). I own a Savage, but I had to swap out the trigger and I'm still looking for a decent stock. The synthetic that comes with the 10FP is a POS. The so-called "pillars" are cheap brass inserts that compress when you torque the stock.

For a true "out of the box" shooter, the Howa is a good choice. The Savage may have a slightly better barrel (on average), but the Howa offers a lot of value for the money, and you don't have to throw half the gun (trigger, stock) in the dumpster as soon as you get it.