The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 13, 2017, 03:15 PM   #1
FrankenMauser

Wood carver/engraver recommendation?

I'm considering having the stocks for a project rifle carved/engraved with either some names or a small, simple image, in the middle of checkering panels that also need to be cut.

Anybody have recommendations for a good carver/engraver that can do the job and make it look good, rather than ending up as a disproportionate and vague representation of the concept?
Old November 13, 2017, 03:19 PM   #2
OzeanJaeger

You're looking for an artist. The ones you've heard of can charge big bucks. The ones you haven't may or may not be good.

There are some real deal engravers here:
http://www.engravingforum.com/

Don't get stuck on guns. Some of the best engravers and wood carvers don't specialize in guns. Some do, but we're back to known names.
Old November 13, 2017, 06:19 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Don't get stuck on guns. Some of the best engravers and wood carvers don't specialize in guns. Some do, but we're back to known names.
I'm not.
Two of the leading options at the moment are "hobbyists" that started with glass, bone, antlers, plates, etc., and moved into gun work to expand their horizon, or just for something different. Excellent carving. But they don't do checkering.
Old November 13, 2017, 11:48 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

You might be looking for a relief carver. Are you thinking C-scrolls, acanthus leaves or oakleafs and acorns?
Old November 14, 2017, 02:35 AM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Maybe have an expert do the checkering leaving a blank panel and then have the woodcarver you know work the panel.
Old November 14, 2017, 04:25 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

Thanks for the replies.

No leaves, scrolls, or fleur-de-lis type stuff.

What I want are actual names/words - up to five of them - spread around the fore-end, inside a wrap-around checkered panel. (With the remainder on the wrist, if they won't fit.)
But if the lettering is going to be too fragile or too difficult to do properly, I can settle for a relief image on each side of the panel.

I wouldn't mind basket-weave 'checkering' - which most carvers seem to be able to do well, even if they don't do standard checkering - but I'm not sure that it would work well with the names or image.

The wrist and butt plate will need attention, as well; whether or not any names need to go there. But I'm just trying to find the right person(s) for the job first.
Old November 14, 2017, 08:41 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

The cheapest and most precise method for engraving names is to use a laser engraver. Any trophy shop should be able to do it for you.
Old November 14, 2017, 08:51 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

I considered that, but this rifle is more about craftsmanship than price point. I'd rather have quality after a wait, than instant gratification for cheap.

The only real benefits that are still tempting about a laser are: 1. It would leave a fair bit of contrast to make the engraving 'pop', since the stocks are very light maple. 2. The tendency for maple to give less-than-ideal definition in checkering would be reduced or eliminated, since the 'fuzz' would be burned.