The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 3, 2017, 03:20 AM   #26
Hal

Quote:
+P is overrated in mini-mouse guns. Your older LCP will do fine for a hideout gun (as I use mine). Otherwise pack a bigger one in a bigger cartridge.
I have to agree all around that, for the most part, +P is way overrated as well as way misunderstood.

& yes, my Ruger LCP is just dandy as far as a hideout type, carry it every time I go out the door, kind of gun.
I can carry it a lot in an ankle holster & never even know it's there.

The .380 caliber itself is just shy of a .38 spl, but, much easier to shoot (than a J-frame S&W) and easier to pack.

It's just not as purty as the Pico! .

Or the Sig for that matter....

But, that little Minx of a Pico has stolen my heart.
Old October 3, 2017, 09:44 AM   #27
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Smith
+P is overrated in mini-mouse guns. Your older LCP will do fine for a hideout gun (as I use mine). Otherwise pack a bigger one in a bigger cartridge.
I've remarked in past .380 threads that, from a purely objective standpoint, IMHO the larger .380 pistols have been eclipsed by modern 9mm polymer-frame compacts. My Beretta 84BB is almost exactly the same size and is slightly heavier loaded than my M&P9c, which packs a harder punch while only giving up one round (12+1 vs 13+1), has a much smoother and more carry-friendly exterior, and frankly has more pleasant recoil.

However, I still occasionally carry the 84BB, just because I like it.
Old October 4, 2017, 07:50 PM   #28
IDbound

I would also endorse the Glock 42. I never have liked Glocks but had to change my mind when I saw how much better I shot the 42 versus my former EDC P238.
Old October 4, 2017, 09:30 PM   #29
JC57

I have a great .380. Bersa Thunder, standard single-stack model. Feels great, fun to shoot, reliable, accurate. Not a thing in the world wrong with that gun, other than the relative effectiveness of the caliber.
Old October 4, 2017, 10:31 PM   #30
franco45

I have settled on the Beretta Pico and Remington RM380 as my 380 carry guns I have owned LCPs, TCPs, a P3AT, a DB380 and Kahr CW and CT380s. Having said that I have several other 380s in the safe that see range time. My favorites are a Beretta 84fs and a FI model D.
Old October 4, 2017, 10:35 PM   #31
JoeSixpack

Franco sounds like you've had a lot of different .380's

Can you expand on why you picked the pico and rm380 over the others?
Old October 5, 2017, 08:54 AM   #32
dogngun

I went nuts for .380's about 2 years ago

I now have 2 Beretta M84's, 2 S&W Bodyguard .380 pocket autos, a Cobra derringer in.380, a like new Astra Constable .380 (and one in .22 lr) and just buying a Llama .380, in nearly new condition.
IF you like ball ammo, and I do, get some GECO, Fiocchi or other european bands - MUCH hotter and better than we make here...
They take the .380 seriously over there.
Old October 5, 2017, 09:02 PM   #33
franco45

Quote:
Franco sounds like you've had a lot of different .380's

Can you expand on why you picked the pico and rm380 over the others?
The Diamondback and the Keltec were utterly unreliable. The Kahrs were finicky and didn't fit my hand. The LCPs and TCPs I've owned were reliable and extremely easy to conceal. The problem I had with both was that mags came loose when I pocket carried them. I'm left handed and must have bumped the mag release on a regular basis.
The Pico's mag release is just below the trigger guard like the H&K's. The RM380's has not been a problem. Both of them are extremely soft shooters and very accurate. The Pico has best in grade sights. I have heard complaints about the trigger on the Remington but I shoot a lot of revolvers so I actually like it. I prefer the Pico for pocket carry because it is very thin. I do pocket carry the RM380 but I also carry it owb in a Winthrop belt slide holster.
Old October 6, 2017, 07:05 AM   #34
Ibmikey

IDbound, Funny your experience with the G 42 is the opposite of mine, well almost as both weapons shoot great for me with a slight advantage going to my P 238’s ( I have three) over my G 42. I tried the 42 because I shoot the G 19 so well and like the .380 a lot, I then bought a G 43 and despised it! One of the few guns I traded off, that’s where the third P 238 and a dozen magazines came from.
The trade P 238 is another story as it was one of the first released and in need of their safety recall plus the night sights had died. I sent it to Sig and received back a totally new firearm (same serial) with glowing sights and not a sign that it had even been fired...way to go Sig.
The G 42 remains ready to go with me but normally one of those neat little P 238’s is my companion. Also my P 938 is also a sweetheart unlike the G 43.

Last edited by Ibmikey; October 8, 2017 at 01:28 AM.
Old October 7, 2017, 06:10 PM   #35
Front Sight

Another vote for the Glock 42 though I have been thinking about getting a pocket-sized .380 like a Pico.

The G42 is small, but not pocket small (for me at least). I’d definitely prefer to carry the G42 over a Pico but sometimes something that slips in a pocket would be good to have (otherwise I may have to skip carrying that day).

I usually carry my G42 with a +1 baseplate and an extra one in the chamber for a total of 8.
Old October 7, 2017, 08:46 PM   #36
handlebar

this fits in my rotation. Usually carry a J-frame, but when clothes are tight, this one is a good fit and quite accurate.

Old October 8, 2017, 08:48 PM   #37
Andy Blozinski

Double stack .380. Beretta 84. A well reviewed mostly copy is the MC-14 sold by both Bersa and Zenith. You can pick one up, 3 mags included, for less than $400. That's pretty much my next pistol. I don't really need it, so it keeps getting passed over due to other actually important expenses.
I just really enjoy shooting my wife's Sig P238 and want to get something different for when I eventually get my own .380.
Old October 8, 2017, 10:04 PM   #38
SA1911

Hi Hal,

Would you want to attempt to save your life with a .380 Auto?

In my opinion, 9MM is minimum for self-defense, .40 S&W is better, & .45 ACP is king. But it's your life about which your inquiring.

It might be worth your while to figure out how humans are incapacitated.

My advice is to use a cartridge that has demonstrated efficacy. You might have only one chance to get it right.
Old October 9, 2017, 07:14 AM   #39
Hal

Quote:
It might be worth your while to figure out how humans are incapacitated.
Might be worth your while to know the whole story/offer some constructive ideas instead of just your opinion - which BTW, I generally share....since I do have both a .45acp Shield and a Kimber 1911

Quote:
Would you want to attempt to save your life with a .380 Auto?
@ my age,,,,,& in my physical condition,,,,,yes.
10 years ago, I probably would have opted for a knife instead.
But- the current genera of "pocket lite" .380's have been a God-send for people such as myself.

I have a 56 inch waist. Good luck finding anything that takes a belt to hang a waist band holster in with a gut like I have.
My every day attire is a pair of sweat pants.
Forget about losing weight also.
Those "belly band" type holsters only go up to 48"...

I'm on oxygen (End-stage COPD) 7x24x365(6) & any type of exercise - other than swimming - is out of the question.- - so---I don't see me slimming down much.

I also live in NE Ohio high's are going to flirt with 80-'s this week, just as last week did. That means - no shoulder holster until the weather really cools down.

Quote:
My advice is to use a cartridge that has demonstrated efficacy.
My advice is - - make the most of what hand life deals you.
For me, the only thing that fits my current needs in an ankle carry rig with as substantial a caliber as I can get to fill it.

Trust me here...if I could comfortably carry and shoot a J frame S&W .357 magnum, in an ankle holster, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Old October 9, 2017, 09:31 AM   #40
Hun Shooter

Last weekend I just picked up a Walther PP in .380 made by FEG and a Hi Power. These are good guns, double action, decocker, that you can find in the mid $200 range.

Old October 9, 2017, 02:37 PM   #41
Hal

I regret not pulling the trigger on an FEG Hi Power when I had the chance to get one for ~ $300
Old October 9, 2017, 05:18 PM   #42
Hun Shooter

I regret selling my mint FEG Hi Power I bought for $200 I did not know at that time how easy it was to make them into an excellent shooter. I am still looking for a cherry one for a good deal.

Old October 9, 2017, 06:17 PM   #43
Carl the Floor Walker

Lol, Yes as a Pocket gun shooter and shoot each week, the Pico has most definately "Stolen my Heart" as well. Actually both of them, I bought two because I liked the gun so much. Now 3,000 rounds later and still running like a sewing machine. (over 700 rounds on the second one and the same) Is Plus P over rated? I do not know. I will say this, the Pico will stand up to any high Pressure ammo you can throw it's way and and ask for more. And cut any round down to size and make it just a mild round. Bravo to Beretta! And Yes, a gun that you just like to hold and admire.
Old October 10, 2017, 10:01 AM   #44
Laz

Carl, you have done a great job selling me on the Pico. I looked at one when they first came out and, even though I am not large handed, I thought the grip was under-sized and very cramped. I also did not, and do not, particularly find the pistol attractive. (I feel that way about a number of Berettas, just personal sense of aesthetics.) However, the build quality you have described and demonstrated makes me want to take another look. Like you, I like small 380s and have several, LCPs and P238s. More than two, less than a bunch. Perhaps a Pico has a place. I really like that stainless sub-frame. My favorite 238 is an HD model, stainless frame and slide. My sub-compact 9mm is a Sig P290RS with a blackened stainless steel sub-frame and rails. I like my LCPs but they are definitely a departure from the old Ruger overbuilt “hell for stout” philosophy.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old October 10, 2017, 11:20 AM   #45
Carl the Floor Walker

Thank you Laz. I posted on another forum that this is not only a well built gun, but the more you handle the gun, the nicer it gets, racking the slide becomes a piece of cake as well using the slide stop. It is now second nature for me. Even just pulling the receiver all the way back and watch the lever drop on it's own.
As I mentioned, I bought two of them, and noticed that Bud's has them on sale for $195.00 and there is a $50.00 rebate. I am going to get a third Pico. These guns are worth every Penny of $300.00 plus. Might take advantage of these times now when all gun prices are very low. It will not last.
Thanks for the feedback. Really happy to see a fellow Pico friend.

By the way, My first one went down around 3500 rounds with flawless shooting. HOWEVER. I sent it in and it turned out to be user error. I had not put it in the frame correctly. Actually nothing wrong with the gun.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; October 10, 2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old October 10, 2017, 11:23 AM   #46
reteach

Another vote for the Glock 42. I have been carrying mine in my front pocket all summer, which in Texas started back in April. I use a Sticky pocket holster and I wear loose fitting pants. Works for me, and the 42 is a great pistol.
Old October 10, 2017, 01:10 PM   #47
Carmady

Quote:
Bud's has them on sale for $195.00 and there is a $50.00 rebate.
That's hard to resist, and I don't even want a second Pico, but at that price, whatever shall I do? I wonder if these have "BERETTA" and the trident near the muzzle.

Here's mine, trying out a makeshift backstrap extension.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pico.JPG (171.8 KB, 90 views)
Old October 10, 2017, 01:41 PM   #48
Reloadron

Years ago my wife had a little Colt Government .380 ACP. One of the best shooting little .380 guns I have ever shot. We sold it to a friend who just had to have it and eventually replaced it with an Interarms imported Walther PPK which is still in the gun safe today. The little Colt was one really great shooting gun though. While not in a .380 ACP fan club if another Colt Government Model comes along at a reasonable price I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Ron
Old October 10, 2017, 05:12 PM   #49
JERRYS.

I've owned so many different .380s from the miniscule Seecamp .380 to the "full sized" Beretta Cheetah and many others in between.

today I own two, a Glock 42 and a Sig P232.
Old October 10, 2017, 05:32 PM   #50
Carmady

Here's an old 380. I like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colt 1908 380 1923.jpg (34.0 KB, 128 views)