The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 20, 2009, 08:58 PM   #1
gotguns?

winchester 370 help

I have a old winchester model 370 single shot that i got when my grandpa (who was a avid spot shooter) passed away and have a couple questions for those more educated.

1. It has a full choke barrel but at the end of the original barrel it has a extention (about 3 inches) then has a aftermarket .660" choke screwed into that. So the whole add on is about 5 inches past the bead. was this common practice back in the day? any thing you can tell me about this procedure is appreciated.

2. It had a busted scope on it when i got it so i took the scope off and the rail only to see the screw holes went all the way through to the chamber!!!
im thinking about taking it to my next spot shoot would the light loads be ok if i loctite the screws back in?
"And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. ... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson
Old September 21, 2009, 07:22 AM   #2
Goatwhiskers

IMHO, any weapon with holes drilled thru into the chamber area is UNSAFE to fire under any conditions. If it came into my shop I would return it disassembled and tagged as unsafe. I would suggest that you try to find and fit another barrel. Your life ain't worth it. Goatwhiskers the Elder