The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 20, 2007, 08:21 PM   #1
PackingA40

Clean, Lube, Which do you recommend?

G-Lube, copper based factory lube, M pro 7, mom and pop kits etc? Just purchased my first Glock and I would like to know which cleaning kit and Gun Lube is best? The day I purchased it and did my normal inpsection, made sure the barrel was free and clear and the gun was function well under dry fire. I shot 150 rounds and the gun performed like a charm at 15 ft and 7 ft. I was pleasantly surprised at the results. My Glock 23 is for carry only a few times a week. I enjoy the fun and relaxation of shooting every other month at the range, about 100 rounds per trip. I've decided to keep the gun stock with the exception of a night sight upgrade. Sooooo, I would like the best choice of cleaning and lubricants for this gun. I'm all ears.

PA40
Old November 20, 2007, 09:16 PM   #2
Shane Tuttle
Staff

You will get more opinions and combinations of answers to this than the number of grains of sand on Padre Island. But, my $.02 is this...

I use Eezox on all of my guns. The barrel gets cleaned with Hoppe's No.9 and occasionally Benchrest No.9 Copper Solvent. On a Blue Moon, the Sweet's 7.62 gets opened. On every other component, lever, spring exterior,(you get the point) gets Eezox. Once the gun is prepped initially with it, the future cleanings are shorter and easier. Superior corrosion resistance, cleaning, and lubrication. Every once in a while if I'm going to be at a long range session, the slide rails get treated with Tetra Grease.

Easy as that. Just because it works best for me doesn't mean that it's the only way to skin a cat...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 20, 2007, 09:22 PM   #3
AFshooter

I like grease for lubricant. It won't drip out of pin holes or slide rails.
I got a tub of white lithium grease from the auto parts store and it will last me forever. I use it for everything now.

Nebraska Concealed Carry
Old November 21, 2007, 12:43 AM   #4
Camguy

The gentleman who taught my NRA CCW course, a former Marine sniper, says a CLP is all you need. I've been using BrekFree for years and am very happy with it.
Old November 21, 2007, 12:52 AM   #5
jhansman

Hoppes No. 9 and CLP for me. I am experimenting with Pro Shot 1-Step and Hoppes Semi-Auto cleaner, but the jury is still out. The first two do everything I need if I do it often enough. I have also switched to nylon bore brushes, which are not affected by ammonia-based solvents.
Old November 21, 2007, 12:55 AM   #6
hamster

this may be a dumb question... how do you clean a gun? i never was taught how to clean my gun. right now im just spraying WD40 in it and wiping clean with a rag... then i use a stainless steal brush to clean the barrel then i wipe that clean with some pads that i got in some cleaning kit. other than that... i have no idea on whats necessary.
Old November 21, 2007, 05:51 AM   #7
softmentor

Hey hamster.
Start with getting out the owners manual. Well no, start with making sure the gun is unloaded, they treat it like it is loaded anyway. The get out the owners manual for your exact model. If you don't have one there are free download copies of most every gun out there.
There are also some good DVD's
I think though it would be worth a trip to a gun shop, with your gun, and just say "hey, I'm not sure what to do". I can't imagine any gun shop not being willing to show you how to do the basics. They can sell you cleaning supplies. You really don't need so spend much. A barrel brush, some cleaning patches, and some Hoppe's #9 or CLP cleaning "stuff" for about $20 or whole kits for a little more. A couple of rags, an old used toothbrush (run it through the dishwasher or clean it first) and some "Q" tips will round out your supplies nicely.
Old November 21, 2007, 09:52 AM   #8
Rinspeed

I used CLP for years but have switched to FP-10 because I think it works a bit better. The previous owner of the company that makes FP-10 now has a lube calleed Weapon Shield. I have a sample of it but haven't tried it out yet. I'm sure it works just as good or better.
Old November 21, 2007, 10:02 AM   #9
Willie D

I've been using Hoppes' CLP for everything but first cleaning inside the barrel on my handguns, maybe some eezox on the exposed steel on my MK2's bolt.

Does Breakfree only come in a spray? I've been nervous about spraying crap all over everything. With a spray do you just spray then wipe?
Old November 21, 2007, 10:26 AM   #10
grimcreeper

i really like weapon shield.great stuff.i use this,and hoppe's#9 on everything with good results.
Old November 21, 2007, 10:34 AM   #11
BCE_.357

Quote:
this may be a dumb question... how do you clean a gun? i never was taught how to clean my gun. right now im just spraying WD40 in it and wiping clean with a rag.

NOOOO.

Put the WD-40 away. That stuff is not good for your gun.

I use Hoppes spray on gun solvent to clean my Glocks. Then Hoppes #9 for Lube.
Old November 21, 2007, 07:08 PM   #12
PackingA40

Thanks everyone, but does anyone recommend the factory copper colored lube?

PA40
Old November 21, 2007, 07:38 PM   #13
JWT

I've been quite satisfied with MPro-7 for most of my cleaning. I use Hoppes No.9 to soak the choke tubes from my shotgun to remove the burned plastic from the wads (soak the tubes for about an hour and the crud comes off easily with a bronze brush).

I use Lead Away cloths to clean the front of cylinders on stainless revolvers and have used the small Lead Away patches to clean hand gun barrels after shooting lead bullets.

I use Wilson Combat grease on anything that slides and their oil for everything else.

Have been happy with the results of these products.
Old November 21, 2007, 07:52 PM   #14
Ace_Breaker

CLP

If you want to keep it simple just use CLP. It comes in either spray or liquid, the liquid is the original and easier to use. You can clean all parts of the weapon without worry of staining or ruining anything. It can be used on all parts and was the only substance that was allowed to touch any machine gun or pistol when I was in the Marine Corps. It does it all. Punch the bore, swab it clean, scrub all other parts, a few drops on the rails and other moving parts that are hard to reach, a light coat with CLP, wipe off the excess and you are done. I've used this almost exclusively for over 20 years and my weapons look great and perform like new.
Old November 21, 2007, 07:58 PM   #15
PackingA40

CLP ?
Old November 21, 2007, 08:13 PM   #16
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Cleaner
Lubricant
Penetrant

It's a good all around product. I find that its does fairly well on all the categories, but not the best in any. BreakfreeCLP is the brand. CLP in general is used by many other manufacturers.

Quote:
Put the WD-40 away. That stuff is not good for your gun.
Big time +1 on that. We don't even use it in the business that I'm in anymore.

Quote:
then i use a stainless steal brush

Throw that away. Use a bronze brush at best...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 21, 2007, 08:34 PM   #17
hamster

wilco on the wd40 and stainless brush
Old November 21, 2007, 08:47 PM   #18
rgates

I was impressed enough with Weapon Shield CLP (cleaner, lubricant, Protectant), that I literally pitched everything else except for Sweets that I use for very heavy copper fouling. Several threads about it here on TFL. It's amazing stuff. It performs all three CLP functions better than anything else I've ever tried.

www.weaponshield.com
Old November 21, 2007, 09:04 PM   #19
Ace_Breaker

I haven't tried any of the Weapon Shield, it might be good. I just know CLP works. One other note on cleaning. I believe the nylon brush is best for overall scrubbing. It won't scratch up a finish. CLP by the way is Clean, Lubricate, Protect. It will not only protect the weapon after cleaning but it will also continue to break up carbon build up. My best advise to keep a weapon clean and rust free is to buy products that contain tenifer, polymer, polycoat, or stainless
Old November 21, 2007, 09:29 PM   #20
even11

+1 for weapon shield!! Excellent stuff, Great customer service too!!

-Dane
Old November 22, 2007, 11:21 AM   #21
TDrift

Quote:
start with making sure the gun is unloaded, they treat it like it is loaded anyway.
Firearm Safety Rule
1. All weapons must be treated as if they are always loaded!
Old November 22, 2007, 01:10 PM   #22
CGSteve8718

Quote:
Thanks everyone, but does anyone recommend the factory copper colored lube?

PA40

I don't think the copper glitter colored stuff that comes out of a factory new gun is meant for normal use. It is more for long term storage/inactivity than for operating lubrication and functioning.

Your manual's cleaning and maintenance section even states to field strip, clean, and lubricate when brand new (which you should do with all guns). It then says to lube with a quality gun oil.

With that said, you'll find that if you are somewhat new to guns, the cleaning and lubricating products out there all pretty much do the same thing, there isn't one magical product. Some like some things over others.

I use different things but none of them are really different from what others have stated.

Breakfree CLP; a good all purpose CLP
Weaponshield; I got a free bottle to try, and I think it works a little better than Breafree CLP, but it's not going to make me necessarily give up Breakfree.

Powder Blast; just a simple aerosol solvent

Militec; this is the same stuff we were given to use in the service, it supposedly molecularly bonds to metal surfaces giving it a "dry lube" effect. Well, I believe the hype, it doesn't have to be used every time, a little bottle should last very long.

Kano Kroil; the almighty, it's a penetrating oil and not really a cleaning agent, though it will clean stuff, I use it on occasion down old milsurp barrels, never had to use it for newer firearms, except to loosen an AR 15 for a complete detail disassembly

Otis cleaning system; I fawn over this product, I've heard one guy say that it's not proper to use since it doesn't use straight rods, and it's only field expedient, but I've gotten my guns inspection clean using this system, 2 size patches, and 2 flex cables clean every caliber firearm I own or ever will own.
I still keep straight rods as backup though.
Old November 22, 2007, 01:22 PM   #23
PackingA40

To be very honest, this is the one that I used after shooting my G23 for the first time ( see link below ). I posted this question because I wanted a high quality cleaning kit to preserve and protect my gun. If you don't know, I believe in asking.

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip...%2BSupplies%2F

Thanks again
Old November 11, 2017, 10:23 PM   #24
Glockgreat23

Clean and lube

I've always been rather obsessive about how I clean my guns. I clean after each firing, so don't allow then to get dirty. After trying everything there is to try, including all the hone brews, I could go a lifetime with Hoppes #9 , Lucas gun lube, and Tetra grease for steel railed handguns and locking lugs in rifles. Frankly, virtually any named brand solvent and lubes work just fine. We all (including me) overthink cleaning
Old November 12, 2017, 07:15 AM   #25
Wishoot

You revive a 7 year old thread to talk about gun oil?
Closed Thread