The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 5, 2000, 06:56 PM   #1
Bender

I happened to find myself in the possession of a Ruger M77 in .243 Win that was mistreated. The M77 was given to me by a relative who tried to sand and reblue over 10 years ago. The finish has since started to lightly rust all over including inside the reciever and bolt. I can't see the rust until the rifle is in good light. Is this a loss cause or can it be saved? I want to find out if the M77 shoots well before investing anything significant. If I take her to a gunsmith can they get rid of all the rust (inside bolt) and what types of finish are recommended? Any pratical at home rust remover? All recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old March 5, 2000, 07:25 PM   #2
Gunslinger

Birchwood-Casey Blue and Rust Remover does wonders in removing rust and blue.....and anything else it comes into contact with. Be sure to rinse the gun/parts toughly after using it.
Treat it as you would battary acid.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.
Old March 5, 2000, 10:54 PM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Bender, There are products you can use at home as gunslinger mentioned. A smith could take care of it for you pretty easily. Most of us have a favorite rust remover that parts are suspended in and then cleaned properly afterward. If I were you I'd look at getting the rifle reblued or tefloned. I'd be happy to do either for you. Just e-mail me. George
Old March 7, 2000, 06:44 PM   #4
IZZY

Hey Guys, If I were to remove small patches of rust, or just a fine dusting of the stuff, I use "Scotchbright" and gun oil..takes off the finnish too!

Peace
IZZY