The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 1, 2000, 09:30 PM   #1
9mmMike

Hey there. I have a Marlin Camp-9 which has developed an annoying habit. The barrel unscrews while I am shooting. It can not go far do to the fact that the rear open site would hit the stock. Fact is that it never really gets that far before I notice that I am no longer hitting the target.
I have tried pulling it off and using Loctite 242 (that's the medium strength) to secure it. I have some 271 (very strong) Loctite but I do not know if I should try it or just give up and send it back to the factory.
Anyone out there have a similar problem and solution that you might wish to share.
Thanks,
Mike
PS. Thanks Kernel for the sites. Once the barrel starts behaving, I'm sure they'll work out fine.

------------------
"Freedom is not free"
Old February 2, 2000, 09:15 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

9mmMike, don't mess with it. My advise is to return it to the factory. George
Old February 2, 2000, 11:28 PM   #3
9mmMike

Thanks George. I contacted Marlin and they want it back but the person on the phone could not tell me what they would do to it. She was just reading from the playbook. "Barrel issues require the rifle to be returned".
Do you have any idea of what they may do with my carbine when they get it?
Mike
Old February 3, 2000, 09:09 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Mike, they'll probably just wrap some plumber's tape around it and screw it back in. :-) I imagine that they will determine whether the barrel was machined undersize or the receiver oversize and replace the problem part. George
Old February 3, 2000, 03:25 PM   #5
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Hi Mike,

When you get the Camp-9 back from Marlin I bet you'll either have a new barrel, new receiver, or new gun. Don't shoot it till it gets fixed. When the barrel screws out the head space increases. If it increases far enough the case head might rupture. Wouldn't be pretty, especially in a straight blow-back action.

Glad you like the sights. My Camp 9 was a blast. Bought it used, great bullet hose/pinker. And at the time I had a S&W Model 59, so it was a natural.

Taught a bunch of people how to shoot with that Camp 9 including my (at that time future) wife. Some of my friends have said that was a mistake, but so far I haven't regretted it . Sold the gun to a good friend's brother, he didn't want the reciever sights. No regrets, used the money to help buy a Ruger Super Blackhawk "Hunter". -- Kernel
Old March 3, 2000, 11:26 PM   #6
9mmMike

My Camp-9 came home yesterday. While I was not impressed with the customer service gal on the phone at Marlin, I am very pleased with the rapid service to the rifle. Actually, I am amazed! They did not open the box until last Wednesday and UPS made the first delivery attempt to my house exactly one week later. That is very rapid. I have yet to fire it though so I do not know how it will perform.
They took note of my critique about the orange plastic site and replaced it with a metal one in black. I took it off anyway as I use the Williams in the front and rear. I will post the results of my first test and hopefully I will be able to start trying out a few different loads.
Mike

------------------
"Freedom is not free"