The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 8, 2018, 11:56 AM   #1
TJB101

Aero Precision AR 5.56

Looking to purchase the following used rifle. Aero Precision lower with Larue trigger, Aero upper with 20” Bear creek heavy barrel, 1:7 and what looks be a fairly nice break. $500 .... thoughts on manufacturer and price.

Thanks, Tim

Old September 8, 2018, 12:41 PM   #2
lordmorgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJB101 View Post
Looking to purchase the following used rifle. Aero Precision lower with Larue trigger, Aero upper with 20” Bear creek heavy barrel, 1:7 and what looks be a fairly nice break. $500 .... thoughts on manufacturer and price.

Thanks, Tim

AP makes good equipment. Not familiar with the barrel, but that’s a reasonable price for the package. Key mod is becoming a little less popular but still has options for accessories. The brake looks way heavier than necessary, but try it and replace it later.

This will make a great rifle. Here is my AP 20” SPR, as shown over $1400.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / USCCA member
Old September 8, 2018, 12:45 PM   #3
rickyrick

I have lots of aero precision parts, great bang for the buck in my experience. Haven’t used a bear creek barrel though. I’d rather have an A2 stock or similar on a 20” rifle, just my personal preference also. Great price if it performs as it should.
Old September 8, 2018, 12:49 PM   #4
TJB101

Appreciate the feedback
Old September 13, 2018, 12:14 AM   #5
stagpanther

That's a pretty good price considering the parts--you can always toss the barrel and replace it with something better if needs be.
Old September 13, 2018, 03:03 AM   #6
armoredman

I was told on another forum, as I am trying to acquire parts for my very first build, that Bear Creek barrels are to be avoided at all costs. I do not really understand why, know VERY little about AR's yet, just passing it along. Can you get a chance to test fire it? I have an Aero upper and hand guard, waiting to get BCG, barrel, and gas system for that myself.
Old September 13, 2018, 05:22 AM   #7
TJB101

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
I was told on another forum, as I am trying to acquire parts for my very first build, that Bear Creek barrels are to be avoided at all costs. I do not really understand why, know VERY little about AR's yet, just passing it along. Can you get a chance to test fire it? I have an Aero upper and hand guard, waiting to get BCG, barrel, and gas system for that myself.

I did the buy this past weekend. I’ll be heading to the range this coming weekend and hope to get decent accuracy.

Thanks for the follow up comment.
Old September 13, 2018, 05:53 AM   #8
stagpanther

Quote:
I did the buy this past weekend. I’ll be heading to the range this coming weekend and hope to get decent accuracy.

Thanks for the follow up comment.
Treat as a new gun--meaning inspect, strip, clean and lubricate. All kinds of knuckleheads have probably handled and goofed with it.
Old September 13, 2018, 07:13 AM   #9
TJB101

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Treat as a new gun--meaning inspect, strip, clean and lubricate. All kinds of knuckleheads have probably handled and goofed with it.

Absolutely ... did that the weekend I brought it home. Bolt looked brand new outside of a little carbon on the bolt assembly itself. The barrel was quite dirty ... spent the most time on it. Upper and lower tolerance was very tight. Upper was an Anchor Harvey and lower stamped AP.

Happy with the components... see this weekend how she shoots. Will use my sled to take the shooter out of the equation. Tossed my Vortex on and bore sighted it. (It never looked right on my Henry).
Old September 14, 2018, 03:35 AM   #10
armoredman

What is incredibly fascinating is AFTER I posted that I was offered a free Bear Creek barrel to try out for myself. Can't pass THAT up!
Old September 14, 2018, 05:09 AM   #11
TJB101

Quote:
What is incredibly fascinating is AFTER I posted that I was offered a free Bear Creek barrel to try out for myself. Can't pass THAT up!

Let’s compare notes.
Old September 14, 2018, 06:11 AM   #12
Mobuck

BCA barrels are econo grade and I'd throw the muzzle brake as far as possible.
I've tried 3 or 4 BCA barrels and found ZERO that were what I'd call accurate. Maybe with that one specific load but not with any of the variety of ammo that turns up sub-MOA from multiple other AR type rifles. I just assembled a pair of 18" rifle gas uppers using BCA barrels to test a theory. Neither has shown a group under 1" using several types of factory ammo that have been known to produce cloverleaf groups in other moderately priced barrels.
Another BCA barrel (6.5 Grendel) gives 2-3" groups with Wolf(understandable) but is still in the 1.5 MOA category using high quality Hornady ammo.
Sort of there but just not quite would be my review of BCA barrels. If you have a low budget and moderate expectations--that's your brand.
Old September 14, 2018, 06:15 AM   #13
TJB101

My Savage 10PC is sub MOA - my go-to for precision .... I’ll be happy with ‘moderate accuracy’ with this new AR. More of a fun gun for me.
Old September 14, 2018, 06:22 AM   #14
stagpanther

Get an ARP barrel--very affordable--and in general unusual if it can't get you .5 MOA or better, at least in my experience using handloads.
Old September 15, 2018, 10:29 AM   #15
TJB101

Range Day... 6 shots and I was sighted in and sub MOA at 50 yards... tossed another 30 rounds into the target. Went to 100 yards and I was about 1 MOA ... I’m happy with that for a fun range gun. I think I need to add a riser or higher rings though. Just a tad too low.
Old September 15, 2018, 11:21 AM   #16
stagpanther

congrats!
Old October 6, 2018, 02:23 AM   #17
armoredman

TJB101, just waiting for the final parts to arrive then it's off to the buddy with the tools to put it together. I don't expect greatness. if it works, great, and I can start saving for a nicer barrel.
Old October 6, 2018, 03:49 AM   #18
TJB101

Aero Precision AR 5.56

Quote:
TJB101, just waiting for the final parts to arrive then it's off to the buddy with the tools to put it together. I don't expect greatness. if it works, great, and I can start saving for a nicer barrel.

I put a new brake on mine, a cantilevered mount and 2-7 vortex scope and it feels like mine now. Took it out to the range yesterday and I was sub MOA at 50 yards. Ran it out to 100 yards and I was 1 to 2 MOA on most of my shots. Happy with it and will wait for some funds for a barrel upgrade as well.

I’ve been shooting 55gr reloads in this rifle... 55 and a 1:7 is just ok but I may do better with 65+ pills. Heading to the Oaks PA show tomorrow. Will try to pick up some bullets that are a tad heavier. Also may look for a 300BO full upper to possible swap out on this rifle.

Cheers and good luck

Last edited by TJB101; October 6, 2018 at 04:04 AM.
Old October 14, 2018, 03:23 AM   #19
armoredman

Very nice! Two more parts to go...this piece by piece business is slow...but getting there.
Old October 16, 2018, 06:03 PM   #20
kymasabe

Primary arms has a ballistic advantage barrel, 5.56, 16 inch, carbine gas, m4 profile, for $99 !!