The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 23, 2017, 08:18 AM   #1
SirWendall

Trigger job?

Would it be worth switching out the trigger on a PT111 G2? The one on it is decent but not the best.
Old July 23, 2017, 08:41 AM   #2
Nathan

What would you switch it with?
Old July 23, 2017, 09:17 AM   #3
DaleA

Whether or not you switch the trigger you might consider switching this post to the "Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum".
Old July 23, 2017, 09:28 AM   #4
chaim

I had a (have but it is broken) Taurus PT140 Millenium Pro. The first of the Pro series that was actually DAO. I put about 2K rounds through it and absolutely loved it. When the factory rear sight fell off I had a smith put night sights on it (needed some modification since there are no night sights made for it) and while he had it I had him do some other work (about $200 worth). Well, shortly after, it died. Firing pin is stuck in the engaged position, luckily it causes it to refuse to chamber a round because if it did the gun would go full auto. None of the work would have done anything to the firing pin, but now I have to worry about whether Taurus will honor the warranty since most warranties say any outside work will void the warranty.

My vote is put up with the trigger or get another gun if you really dislike the trigger.
Old July 23, 2017, 01:04 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

A PT111 G2 isn't a target pistol.
There's a lengthy discussion about 'em and their triggers here. Lot of mention about tool marks. Just like when Taurus revolvers first came to Canada, virtually full of 'em.
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...er-job.281198/
No idea if this is still available. About half way down.
https://floridagunsupply.com/gun/tau...1-pt111g2-9mm/
Old July 24, 2017, 07:56 PM   #6
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaim
Well, shortly after, it died. Firing pin is stuck in the engaged position, luckily it causes it to refuse to chamber a round because if it did the gun would go full auto.
Did you take it back to the gunsmith who did the work?

Guns don't usually DIE, unless the frame or the barrel fails. A sticking firing pin is generally something that can be fixed (sometimes by simply replacing the firing pin spring.)

I would NOT expect a gunmaker to void a warranty if you've had a gunsmith do some work on the gun -- unless the work caused a failure.

(What some gunmakers do, if parts have been swapped, is reinstall factory parts in the place of the "upgraded" parts; sometimes they send the "newer" parts back, sometimes they don't.)
Old July 24, 2017, 11:56 PM   #7
chaim

Quote:
Did you take it back to the gunsmith who did the work?

Guns don't usually DIE, unless the frame or the barrel fails. A sticking firing pin is generally something that can be fixed (sometimes by simply replacing the firing pin spring.)

I would NOT expect a gunmaker to void a warranty if you've had a gunsmith do some work on the gun -- unless the work caused a failure.

(What some gunmakers do, if parts have been swapped, is reinstall factory parts in the place of the "upgraded" parts; sometimes they send the "newer" parts back, sometimes they don't.)
I talked to the smith about it. He confirmed that nothing he did would have caused the trouble (he mainly polished the feed ramp, and did some machining on the slide to get the sights to fit). About 99% that the firing pin issue is just a spring (which Taurus won't sell anyone individually, you have to send the gun in). I've been very slow (as in years) to send it in, but I will one of these days. I say it is dead, because until it is fixed, it is dead, it doesn't work, it is something that totally put the gun out of commission.
Old July 25, 2017, 06:42 PM   #8
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaim
About 99% that the firing pin issue is just a spring (which Taurus won't sell anyone individually, you have to send the gun in).
Numrich has the spring for $5.45... (I would expect Gen 1 and Gen 2 to use the same spring.)

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1179390.htm
Old July 26, 2017, 04:30 AM   #9
chaim

Cool, I might try that before sending it in

Edit: They are "sold out". I'll keep an eye on it to see when/if it comes back into stock. I still may just eventually send my gun back in (with the class action suit settlement, since my gun is one of those subject to it, they may just offer me the cash settlement or a new gun rather than fixing it even if all that is wrong is the firing pin spring).

Tags
9mm , trigger job