The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 20, 2018, 04:44 PM   #26
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerIvan
What y’all think of the Smith&Wesson M&P 15 Sport 2? Seems like a good rifle, reasonably priced and ammo isn’t expensive at all, so it would be a good target shooting rifle and seems to have good reviews. What do y’all think? Anyone have it?
I have the S&W M&P Sport I which lacks the forward assist and dust cover, but was added for the M&P Sport II. Great little rifle. It is well made and has been reliable, for the little I have shot it. As you mentioned, .223 is pretty cheap to shoot. Recoil is very manageable and mag capacity is great.
Old September 20, 2018, 06:49 PM   #27
rickyrick

An AR is a good choice.

Just remember, most ARs do not come with sights (I do not know if the M&P sport comes with sights)

Just keep that in mind when figuring your costs and budget.
Old September 23, 2018, 05:55 PM   #28
stephen426

The M&P has flip up sights.
Old September 24, 2018, 07:37 AM   #29
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen426 View Post
The M&P has flip up sights.
Keep in mind that there are now several versions of the M&P-15 Sport II, and not all come with flip-up sights. The newer “optics-ready” models don’t come with any sights.
Old September 24, 2018, 09:17 AM   #30
BillM

The gun is going to get beat up, wet and dusty. Hauled around on the quad, tractor,
horse and truck. We have had an old Winchester 94, SKS, 22 magnum lever gun---and the current AR carbine. AR's are cheap right now. I've got a relatively cheap 1-4 scope
on it (old eyes), and decent nylon scabbards are under $30.
Old September 24, 2018, 06:49 PM   #31
gw44

A mountain rifle in 25.06 !!!
Old September 24, 2018, 07:00 PM   #32
flashhole

If you are really serious about it look into a combo gun, shot gun with an additional rifled barrel for center-fire cartridges and learn how to use it.

When I was a young man I had to pass on a double barrel (one 12 ga, one 20 ga) with a 7mm Mauser rifled barrel running between and under the shotgun barrels. I was told it was a gun Rommel issued to his officers during the Africa campaign during WWII. It was one of the best crafted guns I have ever seen. Being a lowly airman in the Air Force it was way beyond my financial abilities. I still remember handling it 42 years later.
Old September 24, 2018, 08:08 PM   #33
ManyMag

Pray for predators that read all the books and only prey on the old and weak.
For all others a .204 is an accurate laser for the light fast ones that are hard to get a clear shot at. A 22-250 is right there with the .204 but screws up hides and/or meat. A .308 will do most anything as long as you know ballistics of your load.
I raise sheep and need all the help I can get. I carry a .308 and a P250c 22.
The .308 is there because deer are targets of opportunity 365 days a year here. The 22 is just handy and I actually kill more varmints with it than anything else.
I wish you luck and good hunting.
Old September 25, 2018, 08:17 AM   #34
Chainsaw.

In NW Worsington the majority of critters to be bothering your live stock is gonna be coyotes and bobcats, maybe a cougar, don’t know if y’all have the wolves yet. All of these are thin skinned, “easy” to kill animals. That being said they are al quick moving as well, I’d want a gun that’s accurate and makes quick follow up shots, therefore the AR15 really is a good choice. Personally I recommend stepping up from the most economical options just a little bit so you can get a free float rail (or add on later) and a 1-6 scope with the ACSS retical for quick shot determination. A 20 round may and you have a darn accurate rifle that’ll serve for a long time.

Tags
defense , livestock