The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 26, 2018, 01:56 PM   #1
BluRidgDav

Ruger Precision Rimfire - Is it really precise?

I have had a Ruger bolt-action rimfire rifle that was very accurate - early blued & walnut 77/22 = 0.5 MOA @ 50 yds (stolen) and I have another one that is not very accurate at all - Ruger American Rimfire Compact = 4 MOA @ 50 yds.

Since the Precision Rifle seems to be an RAR barreled action set into a new fully adjustable stock, I'm just wondering if it will actually live up to it's "Precision" title?

Retail prices are falling, but, maybe that's just market saturation?

Those who have actually shot one, please let me know what kind of group-sizes I should expect.

Thanx, Dave.
Old August 27, 2018, 12:39 PM   #2
hagar

I shot mine for the first time in a 200 yard match this weekend. I had it zeroed at 100, Strelok app told me to come up 19 minutes to 200. I came up 80 clicks and I was 3 inches high. My sighting shots went pretty well, as we started at 8am and I could see the holes through my spotting scope pretty well. No wind, no mirage. First series it went well, except for 2 sevens I dropped low, and an 8, rest were all 10's and a few nines. The sevens I think was caused by the Wolf Match ammo, I distinctly heard them being more muffled than the rest. Rifle is a pleasure to shoot, trigger is about as good as they get. Second series wind and mirage picked up, did not do well. This was my first time ever shooting a rimfire at 200 yards, bought the rifle especially for this. Bought mine from Sportsman's Guide, cheapest I could find.

When I sighted it in at 100 (prone off a bipod), I was impressed by the tight groups it was shooting. I have to try a couple of different other brands to find out what it likes. I shot 5 rounds of Norma precision (50% cheaper than the Wolf), and all 5 grouped into about 2.5 inches at 200 yards. Three of the five probably made it into 1.5 inches. The Norma did shoot about 6 inches lower than the Wolf.
Old September 1, 2018, 12:41 PM   #3
BluRidgDav

Thanx hager, glad your RPR is working out for you!

But, I'm kinda surprised by the lack of responses after 200 views. Thought the Ruger Precision Rimfire was actually very popular, and that owners would either defend it, or not. Maybe the silence is meaningful?
Old September 1, 2018, 03:29 PM   #4
Bottom Gun

I don’t know about the Precision Rimfires but I have owned four Ruger rifles in the past, two 10/22s and two Mini 14s. Accuracy of all four rifles was pathetic. All four are long gone now. After four bad experiences with Ruger, I won’t take a chance on another Ruger no matter how cheap they are.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old September 1, 2018, 10:03 PM   #5
jonnyc

We have one at the shop, but they won't let me take new guns out to shoot! How rude! I am seriously considering it.
Old September 2, 2018, 10:32 AM   #6
DaleA

Well of course I think "The Firing Line" is the premier site for all things gun related but once in a while if you have a niche type question specifically about a particular gun you might find some good information on other sites too.

Rimfire Central has a few threads on the Ruger Precision Rimfire. The one listed below starts out with a negative review of the RPR but then others chime in with different opinions and links to other threads on Rimfire Central.
It might be a place to start.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1079610

Good luck.
Old September 3, 2018, 06:57 AM   #7
Mobuck

The RAR is a decent price point 22 BUT that's all it is. Shooting an RAR next to a CZ Scout(?) makes the best the RAR has to offer look mediocre.
If the Precision is an RAR with cosmetics only, it won't match even the low end CZ.
Old September 3, 2018, 08:29 AM   #8
Bfglowkey

I believe the biggest draw for the Precision Rimfire is as a trainer for those who have the big brother RPR. The adjustable bolt throw is a great way to feel like your behind the big gun and keep training to a cheap minimum with 22. I have seen several and they are solid but finicky ammo eaters. I have a 10/22 that lucky for me loves the Aguila Super Extra that I get for $2.99 at academy. So YMMV
Old September 3, 2018, 12:27 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...another one that is not very accurate at all..." It's all about finding the ammo it likes.
I think I'd bet that the Precision is an American Target receiver in a sexy stock. Comparing pictures the barrels are the same. They aren't on the rest of the American models. Not much difference in MSRP either. $30. Unless you buy the thumbhole stock for the Target.
You'll note that Ruger dropped the Mini-14 Target pretty quick. Ruger's stuff isn't exactly known for outstanding accuracy.