The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 28, 2017, 08:47 AM   #26
stagpanther

Quote:
His COAL of 1.0825" possibly isn't too short for the 9mm. Would depend on bullet nose profile.
I have several barrels from different manufacturers for a glock--and none of the chambers are exactly the same. While the 9mm is typically called a straight-walled cartridge, it's not really and has a slight taper to it, so I think this can also affect how your cartridge chambers and headspaces, in addition to your case mouth. When I do "ladder tests" for a handgun I'm not looking for "the best harmonics" that results in best groups--I'm looking for the best combination that safely, effectively and consistently shoots well from my handgun. Tolerances in case profiles to the chamber I've found are more critical when loading for a handgun--even how the bullet seats to the case; potentially expanding the case, can affect that.

I've had one of my handloads squib into a semi-auto handgun before; I was lucky that I spotted the problem before pressing on with further shooting. It could have easily gone the other way and I had blown up the gun. I use a healthy dose of caution when reloading for handguns--I make sure I spot each shot when working up a load. If the report of the shot, even if it successfully impacts the target sounds even slightly different from the other previous ones--I'll immediately examine and then field strip the gun looking for signs of abnormal functioning. That's just me--and I'm not an expert--but I have made a lot of mistakes along the way.
Old May 30, 2017, 09:07 PM   #27
disseminator

Quote:
Spot on, disseminator. A guy on the range told me this as I thought they were jacketed. Tried 3 lighter loads today and the all worked. Great groupings. Thanks.
Awesome, glad to help.

Tags
9mm , grouping , inconsistent