The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 10, 2001, 05:26 PM   #1
AUTiger73

Anybody have any experience with the HK Fabarm Over/Under Shotgun?

Any opinions on their quality?

Note Shotgun News CDNN Investments advertisement has some attractive prices on the HK Fabarms.
Old April 11, 2001, 06:30 PM   #2
Bam Bam

HEY! That's mine! Hands Off!

Seriously, I have been asking the same and seeing it on other boards. Not many people own one, but those that do are not complaining. In contrast to Franchi.
Old April 12, 2001, 09:15 AM   #3
AUTiger73

HK Fabarm O/U

Bam Bam: Thanks for the reply.

You mentioned "In contrast to Franchi".
I was also considering the Franchi O/U but I heard it has a barrel selector built into the trigger. That idea doesn't appeal to me, but maybe I've pre-judged that feature.
If you have any comments about the Franchi please add them here.

Here's the bottom line: I'm looking for an affordable Over/Under Shotgun for Sporting Clay competition. Affordable means less than $ 1,500. The HK Fabarm dealer's price in CDNN Investments advertisement looks very attractive. Gun Digest 2001 Edition has very favorable comments about the Farbarm shotguns, particularly about the various extra features that are included in their guns. The back-bore feature in particular sounds like it would be suited to competition shooting. Any further advise by anyone would be appreciated.

P.S. I'm not really a shotgun person. My collection of over 30 firearms includes only 1 shotgun, a Remington Model 870 - 12ga. Feel free to educate me on O/U shotguns and shotguns suitable for competitive shooting.
Old April 12, 2001, 12:40 PM   #4
Bud1

In the $1500 and under range, you might want to take a look at a Beretta 686. Their "Whitewing" runs right about that price, and the 686 is a proven design.
Old April 13, 2001, 06:09 PM   #5
Bam Bam

Tiger, Bud1 is giving good advice, many I talked to recommended a Beretta. Another popular brand is Browning.
Less well known but good guns are Weatherby, SKB, Miroku, Charles Daly. I am sure there are others.

Where I shoot almost all the O/Us are Brownings. Ruger O/Us seem to be hit or miss. Either it lasts forever or you have to send it back. The service seems to be real good with many satisfied customers.

The Franchi O/Us are beautiful. There is a beauty in the local shop. It feels right, too. It looks like a more expensive gun. But if it needs service, look out. The service is terrible.

Probably it is better to steer you away from the bad guns rather than try to lead you to water. There is a lot of good guns to choose from. Take your time ask a lot of questions and try to handle as many different O/Us as you can before making a purchase. Take you 870 trap and skeet shooting and make some friends.

Here is a list of guns that I personally would avoid.

Traditions, European American Arms, Stoeger, Baikal, Sig Arms A-3, anything budget or value-priced.
Old April 13, 2001, 08:20 PM   #6
AUTiger73

Thanks for the advice. Sometimes we forget that it is important to have good customer service support until it is too late. I'll take your advice.

Something about the Ruger doesn't feel right to me. Nothing handles quite like a Browning.

I'll check out the Beretta but very well may go for the Browning.
Old April 18, 2001, 11:36 AM   #7
Kobra

I have a Ruger All-weather O/U that I really like. After an adjustment period (use to a 870)I am really learning to shot it. A stainless steel O/U.....I am pretty sure my grandkids will still be shooting this gun.