The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 16, 2017, 12:47 AM   #1
HighwayPretzel

Hornady LNL Single Stage press Priming Issue

Good evening everyone,
so a couple days ago i received my new Hornady LNL single stage press that i mostly want to use to load rifle cartridges (.223, .308 and 8mm Mauser). As i was setting up the press i encountered one issue though.
I can absolutely not figure out how to change the primer cups from large to small on the little attachment that slides into the ram. The instructions simply tell me to unscrew the large one and screw in the small primer holder, however there appear to be no threads so i can screw as long as i want and nothing happens.

For clarification, here's a photo of the piece I'm talking about.

I'd be really thankful for any help since i'm really getting desperate.

thank you very much for your help!
Old October 16, 2017, 02:10 AM   #2
HiBC

When I look at the pics of what you have,I see the hex head of the replacement punch.
I see the threads.
I see the primer cup that sleeves over the hex part of the punch.
And I see the spring that loads the cup.
Might you just be spinning the cup around on the punch?

I figure if I had a nut driver,or a 1/4 drive socket,the right size to fit that hex,
I could probably use it to push on the cup and compress the spring,and that hex would go up inside the wrench.The hex is kind of a hint "a wrench goes here" You maybe could check size with the punch you can see.
Then if I turned it counter clockwise,the primer punch assembly might unscrew from the priming arm.Careful that spring doesn't fling anything.
But that is speculation.

I wonder what a spare priming arm from Hornady might cost?Then you could have a large and a small priming arm.But,I'm speculating again.

See..Admittedly,my 007 Hornady is older. but IMO they put more engineering into the priming arm and feed to make it different than they did to make it work.

I decap/size till I have a batch of brass that needs priming. I like 100 lots. 100 bullets in a box,100 primers in a box...100 primers fit in my RCBS priming tray.. I buy brass in 100's,loading blocks hold 50...and so do Plano or MTM ammo boxes. Neat!

Then I use an RCBS hand priming tool,relax,and prime.

Or,I do have an old Pacific red,"C" press mounted on the bench beside my Hornady press. It uses the same old swinging primer arm and tube feed system the RCBS and Lyman presses used for years. I work well with that priming system. Sometimes I size,decap,and prime in that press.

Then I set the seater die up in my Hornady press.
I also have my Hornady powder measure on a stand,centered between the presses,and set back maybe 8 in,out of the way of operating the presses,but easy to use sitting on my shop stool.

So I can smoothly size,decap,prime in one cycle on Press "A", charge at the measure,then seat at press "B" .

I set up the ergonomics so it all works from a shop stool. I rotated the mounting of the right hand press about 45 deg so the lever stroke goes across my front . I sit a bit offset left so the left press lever is mounted square.

That's how I dealt with the Hornady priming system.

Last edited by HiBC; October 16, 2017 at 02:46 AM.
Old October 16, 2017, 07:09 AM   #3
hounddawg

What HiBC said, push down on the cup then use a pair of needle nose pliers or a wrench/driver to unscrew the rod using the hex to grip. Then as soon as it is practical go to the vendor of choice and order 2 more units and set up one for large, one for small and one with no cup at all just to leave in the press when depinning
Old October 17, 2017, 09:16 PM   #4
THEWELSHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayPretzel View Post
Good evening everyone,
so a couple days ago i received my new Hornady LNL single stage press that i mostly want to use to load rifle cartridges (.223, .308 and 8mm Mauser). As i was setting up the press i encountered one issue though.
I can absolutely not figure out how to change the primer cups from large to small on the little attachment that slides into the ram. The instructions simply tell me to unscrew the large one and screw in the small primer holder, however there appear to be no threads so i can screw as long as i want and nothing happens.

For clarification, here's a photo of the piece I'm talking about.

I'd be really thankful for any help since i'm really getting desperate.

thank you very much for your help!
The kit should have come with both sizes? Call Hornady the will send you parts

Thewelshm
Old October 17, 2017, 10:54 PM   #5
kmw1954

HighwayPretzel, Welcome to the group. I hope you enjoy your time here.

As HiBC was saying all the parts should be there to make the change.

Push the cup down and compress the spring, expose the hex head which is the post and most likely a different size for each primer cup. With the cup pushed and the hex exposed you should be now able to unscrew the post.

The spring will be used on both sizes while the posts and cups get changed out.

Tags
hornady , issues , lnl , priming