The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 9, 2016, 02:52 PM   #1
T_PRO_Z

MOSSBERG 500 Milestone !!!!!

Hello all, I just got finished shooting my Mossberg 500 yesterday and hit the 5000 round point with no troubles and it is still going strong. it is the 275-300$ one that you can get at walmart. I have had it for about a year and a half and wanted to put it through its paces. I was told id be lucky if I made it that far and really, I see another good 10-20 thousand rounds in its future.

what kind of experiences have you all had with you 500s??

(still wont beat my 1100 )
Old March 9, 2016, 03:28 PM   #2
DaleA

Excellent! But maybe more appropriate for the shotgun section.
Old March 9, 2016, 03:36 PM   #3
T_PRO_Z

I clicked on art of the bolt, lever and pump. is this not the pump section??
Old March 9, 2016, 04:34 PM   #4
DaleA

It's a subtle thing, and I'm not being snarky here.

This section is:
The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

I think you wanted the shotgun section:
The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

But if this is the worst thing you do today I'm very envious...that is, it is NOT a big deal.
Old March 9, 2016, 04:49 PM   #5
Rangerrich99

Who told you your 500 would only last 5,000 rounds? I don't know how many i have through mine, but I'm pretty sure I'm between 5,000 and 10,000 and still going strong. I have a couple buddies that claim over 20,000 through theirs. I would think that unless you feed your a steady diet of 3-inch slugs, your 500 should run trouble-free for quite some time.
Old March 9, 2016, 05:13 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

moving to Shotgun forum
Old March 9, 2016, 05:24 PM   #7
FITASC

Quote:
I would think that unless you feed your a steady diet of 3-inch slugs, your 500 should run trouble-free for quite some time.
You shoot a steady diet of 3" slugs and YOU won't be trouble-free for very long!.

Any decent pump should last a long time with a minimum of care as there are really very few parts that should break - extractor, firing pin, firing pin spring are about all I can think of.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 9, 2016, 05:30 PM   #8
Rangerrich99

Quote:
You shoot a steady diet of 3" slugs and YOU won't be trouble-free for very long!.
You're right about that. Several years ago, just for giggles, I shot about 25 magnum slugs through my 500, in about 3 minutes. My shoulder was sore and bruised for four or five days as I recall.
Old March 9, 2016, 06:38 PM   #9
Arizona Fusilier

Congratulations...... but not surprising to me.
Old March 10, 2016, 09:32 AM   #10
T_PRO_Z

I like to shoot slugs quite often. what are the troubles that I could run into?

also, one of the guys I work with in the office said that his crapped out at around 3000 but I don't have much confidence in his statements because he told me he broke 2 berretta 92fs pistols in one day that were brand new shooting 3 gun. my Beretta has close to 8000 through it and it is barley worn.

Last edited by T_PRO_Z; March 10, 2016 at 10:04 AM. Reason: adding info
Old March 10, 2016, 03:42 PM   #11
Duster340

Ah, the good old Mossberg 500. My 30 something year old 500 probably has upwards of 3500 rounds through her, of which approximately 750 are 3" Mag, Remington sluggers. It's been muddy, frozen, submerged (long story ), any generally beaten up. It's not pretty, but has never skipped a beat. Lots of meat in the freezer with the old girl. She's still my favorite shotgun. My kids will be hunting with it long after I'm gone.
Old March 10, 2016, 04:07 PM   #12
Fal 4 Me

I wouldn't worry about round count in your Mossberg. They can take a lot of abuse. Look up Demolition Ranch on YouTube and watch what he has put his through.
Old March 10, 2016, 05:53 PM   #13
Virginian

Good grief. With a minimum of care it should easily be a 100,000 + round gun. The 3", 2-3/4" Magnum, and slug loads do not put ANY additional stress on anything because the SAAMI maximum pressure specs are the same and it's designed for that.
Old March 10, 2016, 06:43 PM   #14
chris in va

Mine was getting light primer strikes until a local gunsmith suggested I check the forearm lock nut. It was very loose, so I hope it 'fixes the glitch'.
Old March 10, 2016, 07:00 PM   #15
FITASC

Quote:
I like to shoot slugs quite often. what are the troubles that I could run into?
How about a detached retina?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 10, 2016, 09:38 PM   #16
Virginian

That's not a gun problem.
Old March 11, 2016, 08:22 AM   #17
T_PRO_Z

I never was much for looking things up online to see how they hold up before I found this forum. I always said "if it breaks, I'll get it fixed". I started looking up TORTURE TESTS and I cannot believe that some people put their guns through that but it is very interesting to watch. I believe the mossy 500 is my new favorite shotgun lol ( besides my 1100 and my bernardelli skeet).

I do mean bernardelli. it is made by Verona. idk how many times I have to clarify that to my buddies lol.
Old March 12, 2016, 09:02 AM   #18
Orion6

There's probably not a better "do-all" shotgun than a Mossberg 500. They aren't pretty, aren't refined, aren't expensive.

But they will work, and if something causes them not to, 99% of the time it's something the user can fix cheaply.

Gun snobs don't like them, and that's cool. But those guns keep working and working, and a TON of game has fallen to the 500 over the years.

Price and acceptance from pretty gun purists aside, it's one of the best shotguns ever made. If you specialize in a specific area of shotgunning, there is better for this or that; but for sheer UTILITY few are equal to or better.

In my opinion a person could do a lot worse than a Mossberg 500, but short of a $1200+ gun couldn't do too much better.
Old March 12, 2016, 09:57 AM   #19
FITASC

What $1200 gun did you have in mind?
Old March 14, 2016, 01:57 PM   #20
T_PRO_Z

if I had 1200$, I would get two used Remington 1100s lol
Old March 14, 2016, 02:24 PM   #21
FITASC

My Beretta gas guns, used, were each more than that $1200, which is why I asked. Gun prices have gone up a fair amount recently, especially on the higher end of the scale.
Old March 14, 2016, 04:07 PM   #22
amd6547

My Mossberg 500 was made for Western Auto.
I have no idea how many rounds it's fired. I pulled it out of a pile of used security company riot guns...it looked beat, and I paid $75 for it. A good part of the wood stock finish was gone, and it had some camo green paint on the 18" barrel.
I've put lots and lots of rounds through it, mainly buck and slug.

It's worn a pistol grip, a folder, and a couple different stocks. Currently, it has a hogue 12" lop stock, and their matching overmold forend, which I really like...great grip for pumping.

Last year, it had a couple FTE's. Found that the ejector screw had loosened...tightened it up with loctite, and problem solved.

It's in the closet loaded with FliteControl #1 buck right now.