The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 6, 1999, 12:21 AM   #1
StanA

I just got my used (new to me) 500A which is a 8 shot, Parkerized, Heat shield and awh the dreaded pistol grip! First I will have to keep the pistol grip for a while until I find or purchase a rear stock. But until then I had read about a grip made of ruber to slip on the stock handle? I can not find one! Where do I find it? Who makes the one that will fit the Moss?
Number 2: My Black Parerized finish has some scrathes on it (I know it means it ruff and tuff) But Is there anyway to touch up? Or would I have only the option to refinish? I have Glock and I know they will refinish for around $65.oo. If thats the case ruff and tuff looks fine ha!
Number 3: My friend has a 500 and I see him one handed take it by the fore end and slam it down and then back up and rack it. Kinda of Hollywood but I told him I thought it looked kinda hard on it? He said it is perfectly safe? Any options on that? Thanks Stan..

[This message has been edited by StanA (edited November 06, 1999).]
Old November 6, 1999, 05:30 AM   #2
boing

Okay, I'm embarassed to say I tried the one-handed action rack a few times after seeing Terminator 2.

I'm only guessing, but I'd say it's not particularly harmful. When I shoot practice drills, I rack the action very hard and very fast. After all, that's what I'll be doing on a Really Bad Day, and I'd have to believe that a gun like the Mossberg is made to be racked hard and fast.

As for practical applications of the Linda Hamilton Technique, I guess if one hand is injured in a gun fight, it might be useful, sorta. But shooting the gun once you've chambered a round that way, well...

Old November 6, 1999, 10:04 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

First, Stan, glad to hear that your PG is slated for replacement. Wise decision....

Can't help you on that rubber grip. You could do the old NYC cop routine and wrap rubber bands around the grip until you've achieved non skid surfaces. Nice part about that is it's easy to undo.

As for the Terminator speed rack, back when I was intructing, we had some down time on the range when shooting a shotgun one handed came up. I believe this was around the time of the FBI Miami shootout,where one agent did some work with an 870 after taking a 5.56 mm round in his left arm.

So us instructors put up some targets, grabbed some training ammo,and commenced to experiment. We tried some different techniques. The most effective one was to shoulder the weapon and fire. To cycle, one shoved the weapon forward, then pulled back sharply to cycle. This was fatiguing, but it worked. Second best was to trap the butt UNDER the arm, fire, keep the stock clamped under the arm and reach forward and pump it with the strong hand. There was a tendency to drop the weapon this way.

As for damaging the weapon by cycling briskly,don't worry about it. Most pumps function when cycled that way. Some will hangup when stroked gently, or fail to lock up. The old S&W 3000s were prone to this,especially wheh dirty.
Old November 8, 1999, 02:10 PM   #4
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

A small Hogue Handall grip would probably work on the PG. As for the Terminator Technique, yeah, I've tried it too. Impresses the hell out of one's non-gun friends, but I wouldn't want to use it in a real jackpot situation. I find it easiest to ride the recoil on max dr and magnum loads.

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property, or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called in question.." Article 11, Section 13, CO state constitution.

Old November 8, 1999, 09:18 PM   #5
hksigwalther

StanA,

I agree with you on excessive abuse on the one handed racking of the 500. This introduces unnecessary stress to the parts much like dry firing a bow/crossbow. I can never figure out why anyone would want to abuse there equipment in such a useless manner. Certainly, there are instances such as Dave had mentioned where it is necessary but to do it regularly is stupid. But, it's his stuff and he can do whatever he wants with it. The 500 could probably take the abuse being built to take on the recoil of a 12ga but every mechanical object has a breaking point. By pumping the gun harder than normal just accelerates the wear and brings the failure(s) sooner rather than later.

- Ron V.

------------------
Old November 8, 1999, 09:42 PM   #6
Wallew

S,
For those nicks and scratches, try Perma Blue, but get the Aluminum Black. I have found this is the best at 'hiding' those little imperfections (use Qtip to apply it). You can get it at your local gun shop (hopefully) or go to www.Brownells.com and search under 'cold blueing'. A black syn buttstock for Mossberg from Brownells is only $40.63. Jim

[This message has been edited by Wallew (edited November 08, 1999).]
Old November 9, 1999, 06:36 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Ron V, consider the adrenaline effect during either a confrontation or during a hunt. Pumps work best when racked strongly, some will not feed correctly if baby stroked.

BTW, one training 870 I've used was on the firing line from 1981 to 1998 and still might be there. This weapon fired thousands of rounds yearly,and most of the time it was racked hard. As I recall, the total repairs was a new mag spring and wood. Yes, it did look rough, but it worked....
Old November 9, 1999, 04:26 PM   #8
Bruegger

One-hand racking of shotguns? Grandpa Bruegger would have crapped his britches if he saw this type of shenanigans going on, and there sure would have been some butts bearing the imprint of his boondockers afterward... Now, Ma Bruegger always said "don't play ball in the house." Uh, I don't know what that has to do with this topic, but she sure said it a lot.

Er, ah, back to the topic: I think the one-hand rack is silly and is a maybe even a violation of the cardinal rules of gun safety ("never point a weapon at anything you don't intend to puncture and perforate").

What if you successfully load the weapon, but drop it? Sounds like a ND waiting to happen.

Please don't do this when I'm on the range. Leave the hollywood stuff to Arnold & Chow Yun Fat.
Old November 9, 1999, 06:25 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Bruegger, the stuff I mentioned was due to the fact that someone,somewhere, might have to work a shotgun with one arm disabled, like an FBI agent in the infamous Miami shootout.

Otherwise,I'm using both....
Old November 9, 1999, 06:56 PM   #10
hksigwalther

Dave,

When I said unnecessary stress I was talking about the return stroke to bring the bolt back into battery. Certainly, a pump shotgun will need a good pull to eject the spent round as the casing has expanded in the chamber and provides a lot of drag. The problem is when the forearm is moved forward.

The force from the weight and momentum of the entire shotgun that has been propelled rearward (downward) by the pulling action and gravity that the forearm (i.e., action bars) sees at its fullest forward position is a heck of a lot more than if you were to slide it forward in the normal way. I wonder how long a Maverick would last with its one bar compared to Mossberg's two.

But, as I said, it's his gun. I just hate to see people unnecessarily abuse their firearms, cars, knives, etc.

- Ron V.

------------------
Old November 10, 1999, 05:20 AM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Use does not necessarily constitute abuse. And, the 870 is based on John Browning patents, which automatically means it's tres overbuilt.

I've seen exactly one pump that had been abused and the action bar bent. It was the late and unlamented Winchester 1200, place was the Md House of Correction. As near as I could deduce, one of our less intellectually gifted but muscular officers had tried to rack it w/o hitting the slide release.

One of the 870s here was purchased by my father, used, around 1956. it must have been one of the first Wingmasters built. I've personally put over 3000 rounds through it. While the finish isn't as nice as it was, it still locks up like a bank vault.

JB Browning didn't design trash(G)...
Old November 12, 1999, 02:00 PM   #12
Libertarian

StanA, Are you sure that you don't have a 590? I didn't know the 500 came in an eight shot version.
Old November 13, 1999, 06:44 PM   #13
boing

Mossberg classifies their shotguns' capacity by including the round in the chamber, so the 8 shot M500 is really a 7+1. The 590 is 8+1.
Old November 14, 1999, 02:30 AM   #14
StanA

Boing has it right. Thanks everyone for your help. Stan.