The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 5, 2001, 04:18 PM   #1
Matt Wallis

Navy Arms... Made by Pietta?

Say, I just got my Navy Arms catalog in the mail. Turned in it to look at their 1851 Navy. That's definitely going to be my next gun purchase!

Anyhoo... The picture is nice and big. And much to my surprise I can clearly read on the barrel these markings: F.LLIPIETTA

What's up. I thought Navy Arms was a manufacturer? Are their 1851 Navies the same as the one's marketed by Cabelas?

Regards,
Matt Wallis
Old July 5, 2001, 09:47 PM   #2
Dingo

Navy Arms is an importer, not a manufacturer. My Navy Arms Schofield, for example, is made by Uberti.
Old July 6, 2001, 10:18 AM   #3
WINTERVILLE WILL

Virtually all of the replica anything are made in Italy...including the Colts. Some used to come from Spain and I have an 1860 Colt replica made in Belgium. Cabela's guns are Piettas. (which means that some are better than others) You pays your money and you takes your chance.
DAMFOOL #64

45-70...reach out and thump somethin'
Old July 6, 2001, 11:50 AM   #4
Cap n ball

I was at a gun show last weekend and picked up an 1851 Navy for $80.00. It's a Pietta and sight unseen I wouldn't have bought it. It's one of the good one's though and That afternoon I shot it and while it's a bit stiff I think it'll smooth out in time. It had CVA stamped on the top of the barrel, you have to look on the side to see who MFG it. It'll be a shooter and one that I'll use in re-enactment.
Old July 6, 2001, 03:53 PM   #5
Matt Wallis

Well, dag-nabbit! How am I supposed to know what I'm getting when I order it?

I had considered shelling out the extra $60 to buy from Navy Arms because I thought the quality would be better than what I would get from Cabelas. But if they're the same, what's the point. The only problem is I've heard some of you say the Pietta's are crap.

This is quite frustrating. I don't have the dough for a Ruger (I'm dead set on a 51 Navy anyway).

Please Help!

Matt
Old July 8, 2001, 10:26 AM   #6
Dingo

There are some differences as importers can require details of fit and finish. Navy Arms and Cimmeron seem to be a tad nicer. My Navy Arms Schofield is a definite improvement over the generic Uberti, but there are no guarentees. Seeing before buying is the best way.
Old July 8, 2001, 04:51 PM   #7
Alex Johnson

Cabelas revolvers are definitely of mixed quality. There is a Cabela's store in town and I visit it regularly to look through their bargain barn where a lot of used, or damaged products go when there taken off the shelf. I have on occasion seen Uberti revolvers sold in there at the regular gun prices, I even bought an Uberti 1862 pocket model from them for $95.00 which was in new condition save for a small scratch on the frame. All in all, I would definitely think twice before buying one of these guns unseen though.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain