The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 15, 2017, 09:51 PM   #1
wild cat mccane

Bought a new Diamondback DB9

I've owned a few before but sold all due to concerns about construction. However, for some reason I can't shake wanting the DB9 pocket pistol to work...so I just bought an SL model from Buds today. Part of my concern was I didn't care for the finish-the anodized stainless takes care of that worry.

I've previously owned the Kahrs (PM40, CM9, CW380, and PM9) but found them all too heavy and block like for pocket carry. Additionally, the 9 and 40 are just huge compared to the 380 options. I think my photo here of my P3AT vs CM9 captures the difference better than putting the two on top of each other:

Time will tell. I'll update with a comparison between it and my LCP gen2 in stainless.
Old August 15, 2017, 09:56 PM   #2
CDR_Glock

Bought a new Diamondback DB9

I had an Original Gen 1, and it totally sucked. Numerous failures to feed and a cracked frame at around 535 rounds. They did replace the frame and my gunsmith told me right there to sell it.

They have their own forum. Check it out. I believe you need to modify the magazine with a Keltec spring, and use a dremel to polish the slide.

Best of luck but that's the last gun I'd consider getting again.

I carry a Glock 19 MOS with an RMR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old August 16, 2017, 11:12 AM   #3
Fishbed77

Quote:
anodized stainless
Are these actually anodized, or just bead-blasted?

It is possible to anodized stainless steel, but it's not a particularly durable finish, and usually requires some sort of protective sealer coat. It's not particularly suited to firearms.
Old August 16, 2017, 11:45 AM   #4
wild cat mccane

Well cuss. I selected the SL (anodized stainless) over the regular stainless because of a better appearance and thinking them as equal. Diamonback told me they were equivalent and both stainless steel...

Shoot.

https://diamondbackfirearms.com/coll...nt=27566994758
Old August 16, 2017, 02:11 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Anodizing is a chemical treatment for aluminum. You can't anodize stainless steel. The web site says the slide is "coated" -- it doesn't say with what. Anodizing is not a coating, it's a chemical conversion of the surface payer of the base aluminum alloy.
Old August 16, 2017, 02:22 PM   #6
wild cat mccane

Well I just put in a request to Buds to change to order to the stainless model. Hasn't shipped yet, so I hope it's possible.
Old August 16, 2017, 08:29 PM   #7
cc-hangfire

wild cat, I understand wanting the DB9 to be a success. I fear the design pushes the dimensions and tolerances just past the point of dependable reliability.

I have one that I'm in the process of selling - bought it used and the back rails broke off after about a 150 rounds. DB sent me a replacement frame at no cost - so great customer service from my perspective. I just can't trust it for carry though.

If they'd change the frame to steel, I'd keep one & find ammo that was dependable. Best of luck with yours.
Old August 16, 2017, 08:42 PM   #8
franco45

Every time I consider buying one of these I do two things. First I remember my experience with the DB380 and then I visit the Diamondback forum and read a few threads. Problem solved.
Old August 17, 2017, 09:29 AM   #9
wild cat mccane

Well, I have decided not accept the transfer.

I was on the DB forum yesterday and someone just posted that the one hollow point that is suppose to be flawless through the DB9, Remington UMC 115gr jhp, failed a person multiple times. Given 115gr isn't great to begin with, I'm just going to accept the LCP for what it is and
Old August 18, 2017, 10:13 AM   #10
Fishbed77

Quote:
You can't anodize stainless steel.
You CAN anodize stainless steel but, as mentioned, the result is a bit different from aluminum.
Old August 18, 2017, 01:59 PM   #11
Skans

I carry a DB9. I have had no problem with 9mm ball ammo. With hollow points, what I do is keep one in the chamber, my next round is 9mm ball ammo and the rest are hollow points. It seems that the first round out of the magazine tilts differently than the rest. I can't say this works in all DB9's but it works in mine.
Old August 18, 2017, 11:03 PM   #12
HistoryJunky

I was in your situation wanting a DB9 because of the size.

I read some reviews and watched videos.

I decided to accept the small increase in size and go with the Kahr CM9.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old August 19, 2017, 11:16 AM   #13
franco45

Quote:
I decided to accept the small increase in size and go with the Kahr CM9.
Good move. I love my CM9.
Old August 19, 2017, 07:01 PM   #14
DanPop

Bought a db380 last year, one trip to the range and I sold it.... Nuff said.
S&W Bodyguard 380 Ruger LCP 380
Old August 19, 2017, 10:55 PM   #15
jhenry

The DB9 was the worst pistol I have ever owned. Horrible reliability and worse customer service. My advice is to stay away. Garbage.
Old August 21, 2017, 07:44 AM   #16
Nakanokalronin

With the reputation these pustols have, I don't know how they stay in buisness. I tried the DB380 out and it was an unreliable pos at best. The best reviews come from people who don't shoot them at all or put a magazine or two through it.
Old August 21, 2017, 02:22 PM   #17
TailGator

Quote:
The best reviews come from people who don't shoot them at all or put a magazine or two through it.
An anecdote to support that idea: I was at a range and a young fellow had just purchased his first pistol, a DB380, and was quite proud of it. He wanted me to try it, and when I did I was pretty unimpressed. I reciprocated and had him try one or two of my pistols (I can't honestly say that I even remember what they were) and he became more and more disenchanted with his pistol, without me giving voice to any criticism, just by comparison. I felt kind of bad, but he left feeling bad about his purchase without me saying a single negative word about it.
Old August 23, 2017, 08:25 AM   #18
wild cat mccane

No. The DB forum defiantly supports these guns don't function as is. The question is if the PF-9 mag spring truly fixes the jamming issue.
Old August 23, 2017, 09:06 AM   #19
JoeSixpack

Well what are we really talking about here?
I mean a quick search shows that right THIS very second you can get one from Classic Firearms for 179.99 shipped..

And who knows it might have been even cheaper in the past meaning it'll probably be cheaper in the future.

Personally when we get to the 200ish price range Im willing to gamble and see for my self (usually).
https://www.classicfirearms.com/diam...m-for-sale-db9
It has been my experience that most of the negativity of a particular brand or model is almost always blown out of proportion, The internet loves drama and hyperbole.
Actually maybe it's just the gun community.. I mean people still bring up the broken Beretta slides 30 years ago.

I have never owned a DB, I know the 380 had generally good rep and that it shot well, although I seem to recall a few people having cracked frames, but what % it's hard to say.. I mean you're more likely to find someone vocal about a bad experience then a good one.

Unless money is so tight you can't risk it I'd go ahead and get one if you want one.. it's about the cost of a case of 9mm.

Here's a video of the owner and some of the factory, Kinda interesting.
Apparently they're known for making boats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMXBjlJdtvg

Last edited by JoeSixpack; August 23, 2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old August 30, 2017, 02:52 PM   #20
Model12Win

I do like the diamond pattern on the grips, but I've heard some bad reports on the Diamondbacks. I'd probably not carry it.
Old August 31, 2017, 01:51 PM   #21
franco45

Quote:
I have never owned a DB, I know the 380 had generally good rep and that it shot well,
All you have to do is visit www.Diamondbackforum.com to disprove this statement.
Old August 31, 2017, 04:32 PM   #22
wild cat mccane

I canceled the "anodized" slide DB9 order.

However, I am still interested in these stupid things and if I can't come to reason in the next day, I'll plunk down for a stainless slide.

Ugh.
Old August 31, 2017, 08:20 PM   #23
cc-hangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
I canceled the "anodized" slide DB9 order.

However, I am still interested in these stupid things and if I can't come to reason in the next day, I'll plunk down for a stainless slide.

Ugh.
Ha! We all have our addictions!

I won't criticize since I have my share of "range only" guns, & project guns too!
Old August 31, 2017, 10:38 PM   #24
wild cat mccane

Just did it.

Repurchased with the regular stainless steel slide.

I was looking at a cart with an LC9s stainless and the DB9 stainless. I can't help but think my LCP would be pointless if the DB9 worked, so might as well try and get the Bud's warranty if it doesn't.

We shall see what this brings
Old August 31, 2017, 10:48 PM   #25
turtlehead

I've always wanted to like that gun. Hoping you have good luck with it. Have to imagine most of them work or why would they still be in business?