The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 4, 2014, 07:58 PM   #1
Unlicensed Dremel

Rifle scopes that are on two or more weapons

Any rifle scopes or sights that you like so much that you have two or more on guns/MLs / crossbows, etc?

I have several:

1. Nikon Omega 1.65-5 x 36 (5)
2. Nikon Omega 3-9 x 40 (3)
3. Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10 x 40 (2)
Hon Mentions
4. Trijicon RMR-DI 12 MOA triangle
5. Leupold VX1 1-4 x 20
6. Burris MTAC 1.5-6 x 40

The last 3 are honorable mentions in that I plan to ultimately have two or more of each on certain weapons, but have only one presently. I need 2 or 3 more VX1 1-4x20s, and 1 more each of the RMR-DI & MTAC.
Old August 6, 2014, 05:33 PM   #2
lefteye

For many years my favorite "affordable" scope has been the Leupold Vari-X III 2.5 x 8 with the matte finish. I have them on three hunting rifles: (1) Rem BDL LH .270 with a Brown Precision stock (my favorite rifle); (2) my Browning A-Bolt SS LH 7mm Rem Mag; and (3) my Browning A-Bolt SS LH .300 Win Mag. (All three rifles are ugly plastic stocked guns that can take the punishment of hunting in the Bob Marshall and Scapegoat for elk and bears.)
Old August 6, 2014, 06:09 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I am a big fan of the Bushnell Circle-X reticle. It's fantastic for relatively close range big game hunting. "Circle" the vitals and pull the trigger. I no longer have one mounted but I did have one on my 12ga deer gun and my .243AI.
Old August 6, 2014, 07:38 PM   #4
Unlicensed Dremel

Love the circle-X. Wish it was on some Elites instead of just Banners. Agreed.

The Nikon "Turkey Pro" reticle (which is on the Turkey Pro scope, which is the same thing as the Omega 1.65-5x36), is not quite as good, because it has the circle, but no X in it (you can do the rapid but not the precise) - but it's good for things like shotguns or maybe a .45-70 for woods hunting of large game. Your eye can center the target in the circle pretty well, just like with an aperture open sight.
Old August 7, 2014, 09:54 AM   #5
Unlicensed Dremel

Quote:
For many years my favorite "affordable" scope has been the Leupold Vari-X III 2.5 x 8 with the matte finish. I have them on three hunting rifles: (1) Rem BDL LH .270 with a Brown Precision stock (my favorite rifle); (2) my Browning A-Bolt SS LH 7mm Rem Mag; and (3) my Browning A-Bolt SS LH .300 Win Mag. (All three rifles are ugly plastic stocked guns that can take the punishment of hunting in the Bob Marshall and Scapegoat for elk and bears
Interesting. What's the price of that scope, and whereabouts do you live? I mean, did you used to live in MT, or just go there for hunting?

Last edited by Unlicensed Dremel; August 7, 2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old August 7, 2014, 11:38 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlicensed Dremel
Love the circle-X. Wish it was on some Elites instead of just Banners. Agreed.
Yeah, it has always irritated me that it's so rare. I can't believe other makers haven't picked it up and/or Bushnell hasn't made it available throughout their line. There are a couple of very similar articles (I think Leupold has one) but never on a scope I want.

I only have one at the moment but if I had the funds, I'd have multiples of my Minox Z5 5-20x too.
Old August 7, 2014, 12:09 PM   #7
Doyle

I had one of those Bushnell Circle reticles once and found it to be OK at best. In my case, it was on a Savage over/under .22Hornet/12ga turkey gun. Strictly short range stuff so it didn't bother me too bad.

For my multiple-gun scope, the only multiple I have is the Leupold VX-II 2-7. I love that scope because it is so small and light. I have it on a Model 7 in .260 and it doesn't over balance that light rifle. I also have it on an Encore Muzzleloader barrel which doesn't need a long-range scope.
Old August 7, 2014, 12:31 PM   #8
NoSecondBest

http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?...eticle%20Matte

Not the best scope I own but it compares favorably to some of my best. For the money I've never seen anything that's better. I have one on a Savage ML2 and a Browning Low Wall. If my High Wall already didn't have a Leupold VX3 on it, I'd have one of these on there. The DOA 600 is the same scope but the reticle stadia lines are spaced differently. Very clear, lifetime warranty, and money back for the first year if you aren't satisfied for any reason.
Old August 7, 2014, 06:39 PM   #9
Unlicensed Dremel

That one looks nice at $170.

Interestingly enough, I HATE Nikon's version of BDC reticles, with the circles instead of precisely hashes/lines.... I mean, that's just not very precise, a dadgummed circle. So as much as I like Nikons, I try to get the plain reticles when I can (they're usually $10 or $20 less anyway than the BDC ones). Besides, I dope with either standard Kentucky holds from the main center line, OR with clicks - not with BDCs anyway, since they rarely match your actual load. So I have no use for even a good BDC (unless it was one of those matched from the get-go to a specific load and bullet for the chambering - but I cannot afford those).

Yeah, I have a couple/three better scopes than these I listed, but they're too expensive to get more than one of! At least so far. I think before I croak I want to get a Nightforce.

The other day I compared a Vortex (which one?? Dangit, can't remember) 6-20x44 with a Minox Z5 (or was it Z3?) - put them both on 15 power and side by side. Looked at a distant hay bale. The Vortex was much clearer than the Minox to my surprise. That doesn't help much I realize since I can't remember the details but there you go. I believe it was Viper and Z5 though.
Old August 8, 2014, 09:26 AM   #10
hvymax

I got 3 Simmons red dots on sale a few years ago and wish I had bought 10 now. I have them on my S&W 22A for steel shoots. My Mossberg 935 for 3 gun and my Shernik SKS bullpup. I have had several other cheap Red Dots fail miserably on real guns but so far so good with these.
Old August 11, 2014, 11:25 AM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

I have 2 of each of these...

Nikon Pro Staff 5... 3.5 - 14X one BDC, one Mil Dot
Burris Predator Quest 4.5 - 14X ( love this reticle )
Luepold VX 2... 4 - 12X
Luepold VX 3... 4 - 12X

I'm wanting to try one of the new Burris Varacity 5 X magnification scopes, on my .308 ( when I get it ) but like all 4 of those enough I'd buy another... the top 2 have resettable turrets which are a very nice feature...
Old August 12, 2014, 01:10 AM   #12
bamaranger

scope x 3

My "repeat" scope is a Leupold M8- 6x36. I've got three of them mounted as follows:
-YZ/Interarms Mini-Mauser .223
-YZ/Interarms Mauser Mk X, -06', mannlicher stocked
-Mossberg 810M, .243, mannlicher stocked

All of those scopes are duplex reticles. All three of those rifles are 20'' barreled carbines you'll note, and the smaller bell, smaller statured fixed 6x's look just right, and more importantly, offer a good blend of magnification and field of view. I will concede that the Mini-Mauser really needs more x power. Typically it gets aimed at smaller targets, crows, coyotes (no ground hogs anymore) and a compact or small bell 3-9x is really what it should have. Working on that.

But for deer and general rifle work, the fixed 6x suits me fine. I'm in the market for a matte 6x42, with a heavy duplex, maybe even a custom shop German #1. That will likely go on the Hog Rifle. The Hog Rifle Nikon could go on the Mini-mauser and that would solve that.

The Mark X '06 had a vintage 4x Redfield Widefield, but it did not pull enough light in the PM's for deer. I pulled the 6x off of a Remington rimfire and plunked it on the '06, problem solved. The rimfire got the old Redfield 4x and really didn't loose anything in the process.

I've also got a pair of 2-7x Leupolds, but they are not identical, one being a rimfire and so mounted on a Ruger 77/22. The other is an older variable intended for centerfires, on a Win 88 in .308.