The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 30, 2014, 07:22 PM   #26
Mike40-11

Second, third, and forth what A400fan said. Buy in bulk when prices are down. I haven't bought primers in over 2 years. I buy in minimum quantities of 5000. Last batch was under $20/1000 even with hazmat. Powder in 8lb jugs unless it's on sale cheap in 1 pounders. Bullets at least 1000.
Old July 30, 2014, 07:28 PM   #27
jmorris

Quote:
What's the sense in me laying out almost a thousand dollars in reloading equipment and components if I can't find any affordable powder or any at all ?
There is none. If thousands of others asked themselves the same question before the last panic, it would be everywhere.
Old July 30, 2014, 10:20 PM   #28
lamarw

Well, I have read through the thread and appreciate the comments about us being our on worse enemy in some cases.

Jan. of 2013 I purchased 10,000 large pistol and 10,000 small pistol primers. Plus, I purchased two 8 lb. containers of Winchester 231 and one 8 lb. canister of Unique. This spread out the hazmat fee and provided me about a two year supply of primers and powder. I am not a hoarder in my opinion. I am using it on a frequent basis and still have on hand what I will need for the remainder of the year. Primers were $26.00 per thousand and all the powders were less than $150.00. I do not remember their exact cost. Hazmat was $25.00 for the whole shebang. I do not remember the shipping cost. I do know it was significantly less than buying locally. My order was with Powder Valley.

I saw it as a very astute and wise purchase based upon economics and vision of the future. (I saw what was coming and many others did too.) I believe it was even discussed on this very same forum. There was plenty available back then, and I bought some of it.

I suspect those who did not observe what was happening at the time and did not do the same are the ones singing the blues.

I do feel bad for the new reloaders who were not part of the market back when there was plentiful supplies.

Hopefully the availability will come back by the end of the year. I think it will happen. I have read this forum where many reloaders have adjusted their reloads to match the availability. Meaning they are using a different powder than their preferred. I have also read late last year where some were using magnum primers when they could not find the standard primers. They have tinkered with their load going to the minimum and working their way up to an acceptable level with the primers. Although, I am not sure how big a difference if makes. I have maintained a decent stockage of primers.

Last edited by lamarw; July 30, 2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old July 30, 2014, 10:48 PM   #29
serf 'rett

lamarw - If you would have placed that order in October 2012 (three months earlier) Powder Valley was running a special. Order 32 pounds of powder and get the hazmat fee waived.

Things have been improving. Much better than a year ago when it was hard to find bullets, brass, primers or powder.
Old July 31, 2014, 12:29 AM   #30
Cheapshooter

Quote:
What's the sense in me laying out almost a thousand dollars in reloading equipment and components if I can't find any affordable powder or any at all ?
If you are already laying out almost a grand for equipment you are already spending way to much. So what's the difference if you have to pay a premium for powder?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 31, 2014, 06:22 PM   #31
Mosin-Marauder

$24/ .lb of 4064 at Walmart, here, I'm thinking of using sone money I saved up to go buy a few pounds.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old July 31, 2014, 06:53 PM   #32
kerreckt

Go in on group buys. Find out about price breaks for big orders or large volume. Find out about the various types of accounts you can open with merchants. Always buy a little more than you really need. Continue to do this as standard practice. Squirrel away the extra stuff for bad times. Always look for deals from individuals. Keep cash around so you can jump on deals, quickly. Keep your ear to the ground, act quickly and plan ahead. More than anything else remember the bad times in the good times. Do what you must so you are not in bad position, again. Hang in there. It is worth it...
Old July 31, 2014, 06:57 PM   #33
kilimanjaro

At $40 for a set of dies, I've got several hundred bucks for my 18 calibers alone.

Paid nearly $200 for dies for my Danish Rolling Block, and just Lee dies for the Martini-Henry and .50 BMG were $80, best bargain out there.

Guy I know can reload for over 150 calibers, he started in the 1950s or 1960s, but if you added it up, it's still a very big cash outlay.

When you buy in bulk, the cost adds up fast. Unit cost is down, but it's a wallet hit each time you replenish a component.

Laying out a grand for equipment alone is pretty easy to do.
Old July 31, 2014, 07:20 PM   #34
lamarw

Wow, 150 various rounds. Simply amazing~ Not to mention reloading equipment, he must have one "Mell of a Hess" of a collection of firearms. Just think he must have multiple of firearms in same calibers. It might take a day to do a tour of it.

I can only cover 12 calibers which takes care of all my firearms except for the various rimfires.

Last edited by lamarw; August 1, 2014 at 02:39 AM.
Old August 1, 2014, 08:34 AM   #35
kilimanjaro

He's a smith, you should see his tools. I stand silently, in awestruck daze, before it all.
Old August 2, 2014, 01:25 AM   #36
Armed_Chicagoan

In the last few months I found 4lbs of 3n38 at powder Valley, 2lbs of Unique at a local Bass pro, and just last week picked up 2lbs of Longshot at a local Cabela's. "Local" in my case is still 30 miles since no firearms stores in Chicago.

So I'm set for a while now, but have had to slowly work up loads for the 3n38 in .40 since there is so very little published data for it. Started very light, was getting velocities under 800fps at my start loads but now I'm up to 950fps with 180gr and about 1,000 with 165 with no signs of overpressure yet. I think 3n38 is good for much more than that (VV publishes a load for a different 165gr bullet than I am using that's over a full grain more powder) but I don't think I'll go much higher.

But that's one aspect of the powder shortage, you experiment with powders you've never used before and learn new stuff since you can't find your tried and true anywhere.
Old August 2, 2014, 04:15 AM   #37
green_MTman

if you can spend a grand on equipment then whats the problem with dropping 50 bucks on powder
Old August 2, 2014, 08:49 AM   #38
Longshot4

My Local Gander Mt. just finished remodeling and they got rid of all of their reloading supply's. As far as I am concerned they can go to xxxx. Here in SE Michigan supply's are few and far between.
Old August 2, 2014, 10:09 AM   #39
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My Local Gander Mt. just finished remodeling and they got rid of all of their reloading supply's.
The closest Gander Mountain to me was closed by flooding (twice in 3 years) and rumor was they weren't reopening. It took like 18 months (estimate from memory) but they finally did. The firearms sections is ENORMOUS... and there's not a single reloading component in the building.

I left feedback on their website and someone from the store called me, stating in a message that he had "information" for me. I twice tried to call him back and was both times put on hold for long enough that I hung up.

Last I was there, still no reloading supplies not any obvious place they could put them if they wanted to.
Old August 2, 2014, 10:22 AM   #40
Cheapshooter

They opened a new GM a few miles from me in April. No reloading department at all. When I asked I was told that they didn't want to open with a partially complete department. Also, that when powder, and other components became available they would be putting it in. I guess time will tell.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 2, 2014, 04:33 PM   #41
lamarw

I have been to the Gander Mountain in Opelika, Alabama and the one in Valdosta, Georgia. Neither had a single reloading component.
Old August 2, 2014, 06:39 PM   #42
medic15al

Have you visited the Bass Pro Shop in Leeds, AL store? On I-20 just 10 mi east of B'ham.
Old August 2, 2014, 07:44 PM   #43
lamarw

No, I have made numerous trips to the Bass Pro in Prattville, AL. They had a decent reloading section. On my last trip I obtained two boxes of .45 Colt bullets and some red dot powder.

They also have a nice little restaurant in the store which serves up some good chow.

How is the one in Leeds?
Old August 3, 2014, 11:08 AM   #44
44 AMP
Staff

Even at today's inflated prices, if you are spending $1,000 to get set up for reloading, you are using your wallet more than your brain.

A good basic set up still costs a lot less than that, even when bought at MSRP.
Old August 3, 2014, 12:58 PM   #45
RC20

Quote:
Let's not go nuts about this, that's what started this whole thing in the first place.

An honest evaluation is the place to start. The current shortage (which is not the first and sadly will not be the last) is our own fault just like every shortage before was and every one after will be.
Brian:

While it was others fault, it was not MY fault. I was buying as needed and I even passed up an 8 lb jug of 4831 (one of my main powders) as I had 4 lbs at the time and figured it was coming back.
I am now low on it and there has not been any more 4831 since.

I have learned my lesson. When 4350 hit the shelves for a time I got got 12 lbs (and had two more from years back).

I plan on getting at least that much 4831 when it (if!) shows up and then keep it stocked up at least above 8 lbs. I figure I can ride out any shortage at that point with several different powders and pick up replacement if it shows up. As you cannot count on it, its better to have at least two if not 3 different powders to do that with. So I am holding over 25 lbs of powder even if I don't want to (and I do not, I hate it)

As noted by the one poster, you can't buy powder in AK from an outside source. No one ships haz by air, it has to go through Canada and no one has the setup to do that (I believe it all gets here by barge). Contrary to his report the prices have not been that bad, a bit up from previous but 28 to 30 if bought by the pound and 28 or so if you get 8 lbs.

It does show some signs of easing, but its a random thing. I was not a 4350 powder guy, but that is a good 30-06 powder and I took it when a slug hit town. R17/19, 4831 simply non existent though that could change tomorrow.

Primers showed up often enough to be mostly not an issue and I can borrow from my brother (he did stock up about 5k).

Brass can be had, bullets generally as well.

At this point you need to think about managing it and that looks to be stocking up whether you like it or not, you don't know when the next bust is going to hit.

Again I hate it, but as target shooting is one of the few outside activities I can do (rupture disks) it’s a fact of life and I am going to manage to my benefit as best I can and anyone else is on their own (other than my brother and I will split my last pound with him even if we both wind up not being able to shoot)

I will amend that, If some of the people on this group were in my area I would share the same I do with my brother. I have not found anyone that is willing. Probably some way to build a network that benefited a number of people but its not my skill to do that, maybe one of the younger tech guys could do it.
Old August 3, 2014, 02:03 PM   #46
medic15al

"No, I have made numerous trips to the Bass Pro in Prattville, AL. They had a decent reloading section. On my last trip I obtained two boxes of .45 Colt bullets and some red dot powder.

They also have a nice little restaurant in the store which serves up some good chow.

How is the one in Leeds?"

The one in Leeds is larger, 2 stories. Little café in there as well. Last time I went powder was a bit on the slim pickings and no Cast 45 Colt bullets but the rest of the stock was full. There was about only 7 different powders in stock at the time, which was back in the springtime. Leeds store has an archery range indoor as well as a carnival like shooting gallery for the kids and grown up kids. LOL. Downstairs is the fishing and fashion area, café, and cookout and flashlights. Upstairs is hunting, archery, and shooting depts.
Old August 3, 2014, 10:47 PM   #47
RC20

Brian,

I apologize about the rant.

One thing I enjoy purely recreational and its been turned into a grind to try to continue to do so.

I have lost my sense of community, I suspect a lot are like us but the ones that are not turn us into them, hmmm
Old August 4, 2014, 06:55 AM   #48
Mavrick79

Why all the hate for spending a grand on reloading equipment? Obviously it can be done cheaper so tell me, what is your point?
Old August 4, 2014, 11:43 AM   #49
Elkins45

I sorta saw the handwriting on the wall after Aurora, but I spent my panic funds on magazines and a couple of bricks of 22. I wish I had made that a couple dozen bricks of 22 and 16 pounds of 2400 instead---but at least I'm well stocked with AR and Glock full capacity mags. It's hard to predict irrational market reactions.

The good news is that Armslist is flooded with AR's now: as soon as people found out they weren't being taken away it seems they didn't want them anymore. Human nature is a funny thing.

FWIW I've been reloading for 30+ years for about a dozen different cartridges. I own four presses, a ton of dies and all manner of trimmers, powder measures, etc. I'm not sure all of my reloading gear cost $1000.
Old August 4, 2014, 12:30 PM   #50
GWS

Wait for it.......Wait for it......

I'm referring to all the reloading equipment to soon be on Craig's list all over America....for cheap. Not because reloading's dead, but because everything will return to normal at a little higher price. Would be new reloaders will be a dime a dozen. Prices of new equipment will be down due to overstocks everywhere. That's my prediction, and I'm sticking to it!

Meanwhile until November's Senate and House elections, stump for the cause people.....educate the voters!