The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 14, 2012, 01:34 PM   #1
trmcmu

berrys bullets and hp-38/w231 for 357

I recently bought some berrys plated bullets that i'm looking to push around 11- 1200fps (no more although some people have said its ok) On hodgdons site they list 125gr bullets as 4.6-5.5 (lead) and 7.3 to 8.5 (hornaday xtp)

I was wanting to use around 6.5-6.8 to get them around where i want them. Has anyone used this powder with this amount? I have read alot of discrepancies on the internet between loading books, personal loaders etc but most only shoot 38sp or 158 grain bullets. I've also read that this powder is particular to space left in the casing and such. I would just like a second opinion to ease my mind i guess.

in short: I want to load berrys plated 125 .357 bullets to around 11-1200 using hp-38 and SPM primers.

anyone have experience with these? I've only used 296 and xtp hornaday and i would like to make some plinkers for cost efficiency.
Old July 15, 2012, 09:56 AM   #2
Hammerhead

Welcome to the forum.

No need for magnum primers when using HP-38/W231, but they shouldn't hurt if that's all you have.

Plated bullets seem to follow jacketed data over my chrono, so I think 6.0 HP-38 would put you right around 1,100 fps for a starting point.

Personally I like Universal for applications like this. I always get good results with plated and Universal, plus it gives much better loading density with small bullets in big cases, and it burns more completely.
Old July 15, 2012, 11:23 AM   #3
GlenF

interesting thread

I have used HP-38 since the 70's, and have never thought of using it to as much velocity as you are thinking. I need to get out more often . For a long time I have used HP-38 for soft shooting loads in various calibers to keep some recoil shy folks I hang with happy.

For getting the velocity up into the big numbers, I have been using H110. In one of my reloading books, as much as 1500fps with a 125gr bullet is listed when H110 is used. I don't think any of my revolvers would get that number, and I have no idea what a plated bullet would look like blowing out of a barrel at that speed. That would be interesting.
Old July 15, 2012, 12:35 PM   #4
ruger357w

I've been eyeing these bullets has well, but 158 gr. for the 357 but there web site does not recomend loading them up to a magnum load. So I haven't commited on them yet. right now I'm loading hornady 158 xtp's with 2400 alliant with nice results. I'm also pushing LSWC with 2400 alliant ( a hot load) with hardly any leading. I don't know maybe I'll have to try them. they are pretty good priced.
Old July 15, 2012, 02:04 PM   #5
arch308

Berry's bullets are ok for up too 1200 fps. They also have a few TP ( thick plated) bullets that will withstand a little more. Their web site will tell you all you need to know. I use them almost exclusively for range work in my 9mm, .357, & 45 ACP.
Haven't tried the HP 38 in my .357 but feel it will work just fine if you work up loads within manual specs. I know the books vary. THATS WHY I NEVER JUMP TO THE MAX LOAD. I get to shoot more that way too.
Old July 15, 2012, 02:57 PM   #6
Fastercat

I was trying about the same thing, pushing the envelope with HP-38 and plated bullets. Now I have a Henry rifle that won't chamber.
Old July 17, 2012, 01:40 AM   #7
judgecrater

OAL

Remember that over all length is just as an important part of the recipe as powder charge and bullet weight. Loading shorter than the manual states is just the same as adding more powder.