The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 11, 2011, 09:37 PM   #26
mapsjanhere

Just use the original, 7x57 Mauser. Scared Teddy Roosevelt enough to throw out the Krag, and proven on elephant.
Old June 11, 2011, 10:38 PM   #27
WildBill45

Quote:
proven on elephant.
That was a stunt, which lost a few lives trying to repeat it! Elephant hunting back in the day of 'Karomojo' Bell was different, and he would not live long doing that stunt today!

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old June 11, 2011, 11:04 PM   #28
Mike Irwin
Staff

"That was a stunt, which lost a few lives trying to repeat it! Elephant hunting back in the day of 'Karomojo' Bell was different, and he would not live long doing that stunt today!"

Actually, not a stunt at all.

Bell took hundreds of elephants with light-caliber rifles, 7mm Mauser (.275 Rigby), 6.5 Mannlicher, and possibly others.

Taking one or two elephants with such a rifle would be a stunt. Taking hundreds means a man who has the utmost confidence in his rifle and choice of ammunition, his understanding of elephant anatomy, and his shooting skills.

Bell's choice of rifles and ammo had one thing in common -- they all fired bullets that were very heavy and extremely long for their caliber. This gave them extremely high sectional density, the ability to penetrate to great depths without veering, and were constructed in such a manner that they were unlikely to rivet or even shatter before they could penetrate to the elephant's brain.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 12, 2011, 06:11 PM   #29
TGReaper

264 win mag or 257 Roberts

I have had no experience with the .257 Roberts, I would expect that it would be limited by the relatively small case.
On the other hand I long ago lost count of the number of rounds through my
.264 WM chambered Mod 70 Winchester. This rifle was used for hunting (whitetail) and in competition out to 600 meters.
Overall it has been a very satisfactory cartridge, due to the restrictions imposed be the bore size I have for the most part loaded reasonably ( 120 gr.Sierra @ 3200 fps. this is a mild load for a .264 WM)
And no a 25-06 will not compare to the .264WM. A 120 gr bullet at 3000 from my Tikka 25-06 is a border line over load for the 25-06.
TGR
Old June 12, 2011, 08:16 PM   #30
handlerer2

I don't consider the 57mm case a pipsqueak. It's 6mm more cartridge than any of the 51mm cases most consider adequate for almost any game on this continent.

I caught magnum fever in '75 and have been shooting and reloading for 7mag, 300&340 WBY ever since. I also reload for 6.5x55. I do appreciate the no nonsense ability of the mags to take large game w/o issues.

I would lean toward the 264mag, mostly cause I have never fired one, but I see no flies on the 257 Roberts either.

Last edited by handlerer2; June 12, 2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old June 12, 2011, 10:06 PM   #31
Mike Irwin
Staff

"And no a 25-06 will not compare to the .264WM. A 120 gr bullet at 3000 from my Tikka 25-06 is a border line over load for the 25-06."

Same bullet, same weight, going almost exactly the same velocity.

It makes no matter whether it's a 10% underload in the .264 or a 3% book overload (but still safe in YOUR particular rifle) in the .25-06.

Same bullet, same weight, going almost exactly the same velocity.

And yet, to do that in the .264, you're burning what, at least 15 more grains of powder?

And I'm not sure why you're maxing out at 3,000 fps in your .25-06.

I used to be able to coax just over 3,100 fps out of a friend's Remington loaded with 4831. No signs of pressure at all, and it wasn't all that far above book.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.