The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2011, 01:39 AM   #26
Utahar15

Lee 50th anniversary kit

I'm sure you will enjoy the kit. Good luck and happy reading.

Quote:
I'd save the ~$200 on the kit and put that aside for my next gun purchase.

Well I'm sure the money will go for dies and powder and primer and brass and the lsit goes on my first.

Happy loading.

Robb
Old March 13, 2011, 09:54 AM   #27
jmortimer

You will be very happy with your purchase. Everyone need a single stage and I love my Auto Prime. There is good reason that Lee Precision is # 1. Good for you.
Old March 13, 2011, 10:22 AM   #28
chasep255

I got the lee reloading kit. The only thing I still use is the primer tool, press, and powder measure. Everything else I replaced with something better. It is good for starting but I really hated the case trimmer which came with it. You might want to go and get one of those hand cranked trimmers for about $100. Actually I now wish I hand an electric one.
Old March 13, 2011, 07:07 PM   #29
stu925

Check out Midway for the $200 you saved you can buy 2000 Rainier lead safe 9mm 115gr plated round nose bullets. That's an awful lot of plinking ammo. 500 bullets for $200 not such a deal. By the way, welcome to reloading, you'll soon be spending a small fortune and countless hours loading your own ammo, but it's worth it.

Stu
Old March 13, 2011, 07:27 PM   #30
aarhunt

Im sure you will enjoy the lee press.My dad bought the single stage classic lee press from my grandpa before i was born or when i was very very little.Im 23yrs old now. Anyways my dad has had it for a long time and i`ve had no problems with it other then breaking decapping pins on bearden primers.if anything dose break lee will replace it for nothing.I`ve loaded 308 7mm remington mag and 30/30 rifle 9mm 380acp 45colt 38 special 357mag and 40s&w pistol threw this press and it dose a great job.i just bought a set of pacesetter dies for 30/40 krag and will be loading those.i love the carbide pistol dies.and have the 30/30 308 in rgb dies the 7mm in deluxe and the 30/40 pacesetter.i also have the crimp dies for the rifle to.never any problems.
Old March 19, 2011, 08:55 PM   #31
blu97

reloading

Doesn't really mater what kit you start with, after a while you buy everything,sorta like bass fishing tackle.
Old March 19, 2011, 09:57 PM   #32
sir_n0thing

You are correct! I am happy with the Lee kit so far, yet I've already added another powder scale and put in an order with Midway last night for some other odds and ends.
Old March 19, 2011, 10:38 PM   #33
ClemBert

Great choice for a starter reloading system. There are a number of folks who have both a turret press and a single stage press like the one you bought. A good portion of those fellas still use their single stage press for certain cartridges.

I also went with the Lee 50th Anniversary kit. I bought Lee dies for 40 S&W, 45 Colt, 50 AE, and 460 S&W. I really like their dies because of the powder thru case mouth expander die. And, when you find a Lee die set that includes a carbide die go for that one.

As far as a reloading bench that will depend on how much space you have to work with or how much you really need. I bought the following bench at Harbor Freight for $139. Its a great little bench to use with your Lee press.

Last edited by ClemBert; March 19, 2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old March 20, 2011, 08:16 AM   #34
dabsond

For the price I don't think you can go wrong with the Lee set. That's where I started. If you are going to get a Lee set seriously look at the newest Lee reloading manual. There is a lot of lee specific information in it. Lee is locally produced in WI. I grew up in near Janesville, WI. Keep WI workers employed and buy local.

http://www.dabson.us/milsurp
Old March 20, 2011, 08:44 AM   #35
TheNatureBoy

I purchased a Lee Breech Lock Challenger starter kit when I started 3 years ago. I hated the powder dispenser and replaced it with a spoon from the kitchen. I also replaced the scale with one fom Lyman. I'm still using the dies and press. Welcome aboard : )
Old March 20, 2011, 09:36 AM   #36
sir_n0thing

I'm still planning my workbench, so in the meantime I just bolted the press right to my computer desk I had to add a support underneath the press because the desk top wasn't stable enough. too much flex. A old old 2" wooden closet rod cut to length and acting as a support pillar right under the press did the trick nicely!
When my wife saw what I was doing she just rolled her eyes and shook her head...heheh.
Old March 20, 2011, 09:41 AM   #37
ClemBert

The wife or girlfriend issues are why I recommended the HF bench. It's a nice looking bench (for a bench). As you can see in my photo I have it inside the house in a open area so I had to make sure it wasn't a complete eyesore. It is sturdy as hell. I used two screws at the rear of the bench to anchor it into the wall studs on both sides of the bench. That sucker won't budge at all.
Old March 20, 2011, 09:47 AM   #38
sir_n0thing

Yep, that's not a bad looking bench at all. Not a bad price either.

Tags
hornady , kits , lee , rcbs , reloading