The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 23, 2009, 04:23 PM   #251
Jacobie

Got a FedEx door tag on my door today, will be going by the FedEx place in a few hours to see what it is. May be something else, but I will post up later on this evening.
Old July 23, 2009, 09:09 PM   #252
3StrikesNC

Shutup & Wait,...... AGAIN

Well, it's been a freakin nightmare that apparently is not going to end soon....

Received my pistol yesterday, via FedEx. (they had it since 4/7/09)

Took it to the Range today.

Tried (5), yes FIVE times, to shoot a fully loaded clip. It jammed at least once on each of the FIVE loaded clips. Tried both Aquilla and AE (Win) ammo.

I had written to Shutup & Wait about jamming when I sent it in for the recall. They attached a letter saying they polished the feed ramp. Sounds like BS to me, cause it is SIGNIFICANTLY WORSE than when I sent it.

Their Customer Service SUCKS, SUCKS, SUCKS. I cannot believe I own such an expensive piece of junk that I am scared now to carry because if I need it, it may, or may not, function.

BTW, I got the gun on Dec. '08.
Old July 23, 2009, 09:58 PM   #253
David the Gnome

I finally received my PPK back this morning. I sent mine in on March 23rd. So, 4 months total out of my possession. The feed ramp has been polished according to the paper but it has a rather deep channel cut into it now, almost like it was polished with a triangular shaped file or something. It worked fine before so I'm not 100% crazy about polishing the feedramp if it didn't need it. Ah well, I'll take it to the range tomorrow and see if it still runs as well as it did before I sent it in.
Old July 23, 2009, 11:46 PM   #254
MartyG

It's been my experience that a FULLY loaded magazine will fail to feed. I load the full 7, but then slide one into the chamber, leaving 6 in the mag. That has worked fine. It's always been like this.
Old July 24, 2009, 05:38 AM   #255
Jacobie

So I picked it up from FedEx last night, it still rattles (which I asked them to fix as well) oh and it's filthy.
Old July 24, 2009, 07:52 AM   #256
bignz

Jacobie - Does it rattle when the mag. is out? I have one magazine that makes the gun rattle but the others don't.
3stks - Did you clean the gun before going to the range? Mime was full of grime. So bad that it sounded like sandpaper when I pushed the first mag. in.
Old July 24, 2009, 09:53 AM   #257
Jacobie

Yes, it always rattles. I can't think of the part, but will try to post pics soon of the loose part.
Old July 24, 2009, 05:59 PM   #258
3StrikesNC

Smith sent a shipping label. Promised to fix or replace it. We'll see.

Mine is 8 + 1. That's what I bought. That's what I paid for. That's all I expect.

My Colt & Llama work fine, always have.
Old July 25, 2009, 01:22 PM   #259
TLeo

Just dropped by this topic. Marty is that just some problem with the ppks and ppk not working with a full mag + 1 chambered?
I have always carried full mags plus one chambered in all my semi auto pistols with no problem. Carried beretta 92 and 96 and glock 21 for duty and glock 30, beretta 85, springfield EMP and now sig p232 for cc and never had a problem with functioning that way.
Well anyway...my ppk is on it's way to someone else now. Good riddance.
Old July 25, 2009, 02:17 PM   #260
MartyG

I've heard of a fully-loaded mag causing problems in general, but in my ppk/s, it's definately true. My Beretta never had that problem. It has to do with the force of the compressed spring, and the first round to load from the mag into the chamber.
Old July 28, 2009, 04:28 PM   #261
royaluno

loose slide

Does everybody with a S&W ppk/s or ppk have a loose wobbly slide?
I need answers. They tell me mine is no differant than all the other ones!
None of my guns are this loose!
I had 2 other ppk/s and they were fine (Interarms). I Have the ultimate nightmare. I will be Calling them tomorrow!
Replies Please!
Old July 28, 2009, 08:12 PM   #262
royaluno

Loose slide

Anybody?
Old July 28, 2009, 10:02 PM   #263
bignz

No mine has very little play. Certainly none forward and back (recoil spring would stop that), none up and down, none side to side, and just the very slightest little bit when you grip the back of the slide and twist left to right.
Old August 1, 2009, 08:53 PM   #264
3StrikesNC

Anybody else get a letter of apology from Leland Nichols @ S&W ?

Old August 1, 2009, 09:28 PM   #265
OnTarget

Yep, got the letter of apology from S&W

Check out the attached picture on post #250 for the letter.

Last edited by OnTarget; August 4, 2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old August 4, 2009, 06:09 PM   #266
OnTarget

PPK to arrive on Aug. 5

At last my PPK will be back after contacting S&W for latest status, which resulted in their informing me of the FedEx tracking number.

Just for reference for those still waiting on their PPK, my PPK was:

1) Received at S&W on March 31
2) Awaiting repair at S&W on April 6
3) Sent 2-day from S&W on August 3

With arrival for August 5, this will mean the length of time was:

4 months and 6 days (-or- 18 weeks and 2 days, -or- 128 days)
Old August 4, 2009, 08:35 PM   #267
3StrikesNC

Hope yours comes back better than mine. Three + months and I got it back, but it wouldn't shoot a full clip without jamming at least once.

junk.
+
crappy customer service.
=
Old August 4, 2009, 09:09 PM   #268
OnTarget

3StrikesNC

I empathize with you (and TLeo who also has had enough with the level of service).

You mentioned getting a prepaid label from them again to have it repaired...have you sent it back? Did they give you any idea of the turnaround this time?

For all the *&$% they put you through I'd expect it back within 1 week, plus some kind of compensation.

At best, my PPK will likely come back needing a cleaning inside and out based on what I have heard so far.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Last edited by OnTarget; August 4, 2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old August 5, 2009, 01:36 PM   #269
TLeo

Letter of apology????

Was that what the letter was? As soon as I saw S&W on the envelope I tore it up and trashed it. I'm not interested in any thing they have to say.
Old August 5, 2009, 07:12 PM   #270
3StrikesNC

OT;

It went back at the end of last week. Per the tracking number, they received it.

I enclosed a letter. You'd think they'd call. Not yet.

I'll tel you, I am very upset at their lack of service. I believe it is extremely poor.

The CSR told me a "supervisor would personally attend to it and it would be repaired to function as sold or replaced".

Again I wait....
Old August 6, 2009, 08:19 AM   #271
kraigwy

I got back from Sturgis yesterday and found Fed Ex left mine on my back porch. (I live in the country so I guess they didn't want to come back for my signiture).

Anyway, Smith cleaned it, fixed the decocker and polished the ramp (I never had a jamming problem)

BUT, werent they suppose to mark it to show it's been fixed. Where is the mark suppose to be, I can't find any marks.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 6, 2009, 11:22 AM   #272
bignz

The mark is on the frame right behind/under the hammer. I posted a pic of how they messed up my mark a few pages back (post 218) on this thread. That will show you the location.
Old August 6, 2009, 11:31 AM   #273
kraigwy

OK I found the mark, I guess I'm lucky, the mark on mine is very small, and only one, hardly noticable.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 10, 2009, 12:25 AM   #274
Stan200

I've been waiting to send mine in because it works great now and I'm afraid of what they will do to it and I don't want to wait 4+ months. Based upon what I've heard here, I have changed my next purchase from a S+W .357 revolver to a Ruger (I was previously leaning toward the more expesnive S+W purely on reputation). I hold no grudges against those that make a mistake and make the proper reparations, but I hold no loyalty to those that don't deserve it. That is capitolism at work.
Old August 11, 2009, 06:20 AM   #275
hhb

Another recall

I bought a new Sig P238 .380 to quell my lonelyness while my PPK/s was in Maine for the recall, and discovered there is recall for some of the P238's, mine included. I have a registered mail from Sig at the post office that I'll pick up today. Supposed to be the return instructions.