The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 12, 2007, 09:30 PM   #1
Harry Callahan

Career in firearms?

As many of us are, I'm sure, I must admit I am addicted to guns. Love shooting them, looking at them, discussing them, learning about them, and it got me to thinking if I could make it being a gun distributer, etc. I was at a new Cabela's that just went up in the area. I was checking out the Gun Library there and was AMAZED! I asked the guy there how they acquired all those beautiful guns. He tells me Cabela's has a couple of guys that travel the country looking for estate sales, private collections for sale, etc. What a gig that would be. You would REALLY have to know your sh...um, stuff. I'd like to know what they make. Anyone have any insight to the subject?
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old October 12, 2007, 11:07 PM   #2
Archer1440

I can't answer your question directly, but when you make your hobby or sport your job, your perspective can change.

I'm someone who completely changed careers about 15 years ago so I could work in my sport. While I am very happy with the decision, I know other people who have done similar things only to end up wanting nothing to do with the recreational side of the sport or hobby that became their job.

On the other hand, if you really love (guns, bows, whatever) and you get the right job and have the right attitude, every day seems less like work and more like fun.

Just make a realistic assessment of your expectations and be honest with yourself- and be careful what you wish for!
Old October 13, 2007, 09:35 AM   #3
pistolet1

I had the chance to live my dream job a number of years ago. I had just finished college and was working a couple of part time jobs until I landed a position in my field. One of the part time jobs was at a large family owned gunshop not far from where I lived. I worked mostly nights and weekends and had a great time. We carried a wide range of guns, from plinking, to self defence, hunting, etc.-if it was out there, we had it. Didn't get paid a lot; a little above minimum wage; but all in all, it was a dream come true. Had to leave when I landed a full time career, as it required a great deal more of my time and effort. So if you get a chance to do it, even if it's only temporary or part time, give it a shot(NPI), it might be worth it.
Old October 13, 2007, 10:06 AM   #4
Ozzieman

Its great to love somthing you work at

For me it’s the electronic engineering field.
But years ago I became a gun addict and have been one since. It all started making a lot of money that allowed me to buy guns, lots of guns.
Being single I started hanging out at a gun store near where I lived. The owner became a friend and he started letting me work behind the counter. Yes I know this sounds stupid but I started doing it for free other than being able to buy guns that came in that I wanted,, but that’s another story.
But I found that I had ability as a salesman to work with people. Being an avid gun shooter has little to do with being a good gun salesman. The good in being a gun salesman is not the ability to shoot but to sell. The best gun salesman that I ever met hated guns as a sport. Just hated it, but loved the business end and made a LOT of money doing it.
Being in the gun business can be a love hate relationship.
You hate selling people items that you know won’t really work for what they want, but if you’re good, you can sell most people a dead horse if you throw in a good saddle.
The love side is the people that come back time after time and come to talk to you because they trust you and believe that you’re knowledgeable in your product and service. That is the side that I love.
I quit that store several years ago when one of the partners in the store came up to a VERY good customer of mine that came in to buy a gun for his wife. He wanted to buy her a new PPK/s. I was talking him out of it and into a small Smith 38 stainless. The partner walked up to where I was working and asked what I was doing. When I explained to him he jumped in and said that I knew nothing and that the PPK/s was a better gun.
Why, the mark up was a great deal larger.
The gentleman walked out of the store and from what I heard from friends that also worked there never came back.
This man was a very powerful lawyer that purchased over 15 guns from me over the previous 4 years. The reason that I didn’t let him buy the PPK/s was that I knew his wife and that she had very small hands and couldn’t work the slide.
The point here is that if you’re going to go into the business end of guns you first have to be a salesman, being a gun nut only helps you become more knowledgeable.
The best remark that I ever got from a customer was from the general manager of a large GM car dealership in our town.
I sold him a gun and when everything was done, the paper work and the money, he looked at me and said “If you every want to sell cars,,, call me.” And he handed me his business card.
Old October 13, 2007, 10:20 AM   #5
NCHornet

There are many careers in the gun field that have nothing to do with being a salesperson!! As a matter of fact the salesperson position is probably the lest paid out of all of them, unless you own the shop! Just pick an area you are interested in and go for it.
Old October 15, 2007, 09:07 AM   #6
RDak

When I retire, which is coming fast, I'd love to be a grunt for a gunsmith!!
Old October 15, 2007, 09:15 AM   #7
TNFrank

I know more about guns then just about any other single subject. I should have been a gunsmith or done something firearms related BUT when I was younger and getting ready to start college my mom and dad didn't give me any encouragement in that area and pushed me to do something else. I've regretted it for the rest of my life. If you love firearms you owe it to yourself to do something that'll get you involved with your passion. Gunsmithing, working at a place that makes them, working at a gun store. Do what you love and you'll be a lot happier even if you're not making mega bucks. Money is nice but having a job you love is even better.
Old October 15, 2007, 11:49 AM   #8
grymster2007

I was recently considering adding a similar thread.

I will be retiring in the next 3-5 years and am interested in perusing gunsmithing as a pastime and maybe as a means to supplement my income. I spent 25 years as a precision machinist so I know how to make stuff, but I'm a bit concerned that I’m not a natural mechanic. By that I mean I know people who could tear down just about anything, quickly understand how it works and out it back together. I get by and have re-built automobile engines and such, but don’t consider myself particularly talented in things mechanical. With that said, I do like to tinker and design and build things. I’ve even thought about making and selling gun components, but I think I have a way to go in understanding how the things work first.

So:

How do gunsmiths happen?

Are there smithing schools?

Can one learn this stuff from books?
Old October 15, 2007, 12:13 PM   #9
k Squared

My Dream Job

I mentioned it in an earlier thread, but my dream job is to be a firearms consultant for film makers.

Having spent a small fortune sending my son to college to get a film directing degree, I figure I'll have a good shot at it (once my son starts making multi-million dollar films).
Old October 15, 2007, 01:19 PM   #10
CGSteve8718

Not me

I understand the post about sales, and profit motivation, but if I were to ever own a gunstore I would tell the customer what I know about a particular gun, what others in the field say about the gun, what users and other customers say about it and that's it. I would never sell them anything just because I stand a chance to make more money from it. The customer would always be encouraged by me to make their own decision on what fits, feels, looks, works best for them.

If I didn't know something about a particular gun, I'd just give them the limit of my knowledge and say "honestly, I don't know much about this one".

So it would appear that my store would be hurting then, but that's what I believe in, and I'd try to stick by it.
Old October 15, 2007, 03:15 PM   #11
Tom2

I know that some folks get started in gun sales by filling their trunk full of old crappy pistols and shotguns and going down town.....
Old October 15, 2007, 03:59 PM   #12
Nigelcorn

My wife worked at a bank a while back. One of the higher ups retired, and instead of traveling or doing nothing for his retirement, he got a job working for a firearm company that the bank had financed. I don't even know if he got paid, I think his job was to test fire different firearms. So, maybe you could just stick with what works for you, and later do something like that?
Old October 15, 2007, 05:57 PM   #13
davlandrum

One guy I knew had a archery shop. When someone made a comment about what a dream job it was, the owner said "75% of my business happens in 2 months, the month before arhcery season and the month of archery season, so I work 24/7 and don't get to hunt in order to make it through the year".

I would rather enjoy my hobbys and not mess them up by letting them become work.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old October 15, 2007, 08:59 PM   #14
pinotguy

I'm a newly minted gunsmith having just completed the program at CST last month. The previous summer (2006), I finally decided to change careers, or in my mind - start one, by enrolling at the school. Up to this point, it's the best decision I've ever made in my entire existence. I don't want to come across as selfish but this decision was made by me, for me, and because it was done for something I'm passionate about, I don't feel any regret. I have a lot of other interests and passions, namely fine wine and cooking. I looked at getting into those fields but ultimately settled on working with guns. (Cooking is therapeutic for me so I figured it wouldn't be wise to actually go to culinary school and ruin the fun of it. I wasn't willing to go through 3-4 additional years of schooling to become a wine-maker either.)

Anyway, the bottom line is that I would encourage people, whose interest and passion is genuine, to get into the industry in some way, shape, or form. If things don't work out then at least you'll know.
Old October 15, 2007, 10:43 PM   #15
SIGSHR

I have an original copy of the 1930 book "Shooting" by J. Henry FitzGerald (1876-1946), he talks about being a gun tester and how glamourous it sounds to a gun aficionado, but he notes that it palled on him. He says he handled about 1200 guns when he wrote his book, makes it clear that the fun had long since stopped. Plus they didn't have such great hearing protection back then. Likewise all our ancestors who had to hunt out of necessity would probably tell us hunting is a lot different when the difference between success and failure is going hungry as opposed to telling tales around the campfire or over a beer with the boys.