The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 4, 2005, 04:18 PM   #1
zirkel

Who makes good tactical knee pads???

Not sure if I'm looking for hard shell or soft yet (suggestions?). I do know I'd like something comfy, light, durable, and that will stay on my knees when running around (yeah, I know... I want it all).

Thanks!
Old October 4, 2005, 08:58 PM   #2
gunmoney

Hatch or Alta. I like alta a little more but I have and use both. Neoprene fit a little better than traditional but are less durable IMO.
Old October 4, 2005, 10:02 PM   #3
Avizpls

TACTICAL knee pads?

When will it stop?
Old October 5, 2005, 08:29 AM   #4
IZinterrogator

You know, there is a big difference between the knee pads that roofers use and the ones door-kickers use.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old October 5, 2005, 01:00 PM   #5

Let me guess, you will be using these for tactical paintball games?

Ronald Reagan
Old October 5, 2005, 04:56 PM   #6
ReconDoc242

Tactical this, tactical that....all this tactical crap really erks me.
Tactical is just a marketing scheme that companies put on an average product, so that they can charge more. Sure, every now and then they use high speed materials like kevlar and such, but who really needs kevlar on their knees? Hell i've served in the special operations community for quite a few years now (and been in combat on 3 different fronts)and have yet to see a time when the tactical knee pads saved someones life. So ask yourself, is it really necessesary to spend $40-$100 on a pair of knee pads because they're "tactical". Take it from a real operator who has been in $h*t, a $20 pair of protec skateboarding knee pads will out perform any tactical (blackhawk, hatch, etc) knee pads every day of the week and twice on sundays. So in short don't buy into the "tactical" crap, use your money on better things like more ammo or new guns.
-Doc
Old October 6, 2005, 01:30 PM   #7
gunmoney

What does everyone think that our military, police forces, private contracters, tactical shooters use in terms of equipment. All of the tactical products you guys rip on is what they use every day. Those product are made a certain way for a certain reason. I would like to see a group of Marines entering a house in Iraq in some Levi's and some nikes with some old duck guns and football helmets because you think tactical products are stupid. Many of these products flow onto the civilian market because they have a practical purpose or civilians engage in some aspect of of military or police activity(such as tactical shooting, airsoft, paintball, whatever). Tactical products are made to fill a need in a market not just as a cool marketing ploy.
Old October 6, 2005, 01:39 PM   #8
woodbridge

Knee pads

Hatch Centurion knee and elbow pads. 5.11 has knee pad inserts for their pants (kinda like knee pads inserts in football uniforms).
Old October 6, 2005, 02:15 PM   #9
MEDDAC19

gunmoney

When during a HD, or a one on one encounter, would you need tactical knee pads? If you are SWAT or HRT the pads will be provided. So for all other home tactical purposes, (ie: paintball), the garden variety skating pads should suffice. Nes pas?
Old October 6, 2005, 03:36 PM   #10
gunmoney

I never said anything about a home defense or one on one. I think wearing any knee pads all day long or when you goto bed, just incase you have an encounter, is just a bit silly. Regardless of who you are if you need pads or whatever for a "tactical" purpose, they are available, and are cheap anyway($20-$25) what is the problem. From now on I will just duct tape some pillows to my knees and so should everyone else. Everything else is unecessary. I do not get the resentment of anything made for a specific tactical purpose. Should we all sell our AR-15s and buy flintlocks because we have no need for anything that repeat fires. I unserstand that there are companies out there that are middle of the road that try to make a tactical product to try and grab some piece of a market. Most companies would not make any product that consumers would not buy because they do not have a need for.
Old October 6, 2005, 03:42 PM   #11
tanstaafl4y

I think that a secretary at work has a set of knee pads she would sell you. She only used them once...Just before annual evaluations.

j/k

While I was in Kosovo my squad was assigned to PSD and doorkicking missions. We bought knee and elbow pads from the Bike section of a Walmart in Fayetteville NC and spray painted them black. Also I had the oppourtunity to meet with some soldiers who don't exist and their entry helmets were spraypainted black...but you could still make out the letters "CCM" (Hockey equipment)
Old January 23, 2012, 02:06 PM   #12
kmcmahon

Knee Pro Industries

If anyone is looking for a good place to get good knee pads I would try out http://www.kpindustries.com . this place carries tactical knee pads and elbow pads.
Old January 23, 2012, 02:16 PM   #13
kraigwy

I don't know about "tactical" but you can buy reasonably priced knee and elbow pads at most any Sports Supply Store.

When I shot for the Guard we often fired at Marine ranges. They like to pave their ranges and it was hard on knees and elbows, especially using 300 WM in 1000 yard matches.

The standard basketball or volleyball type knee pads worked quite well.

If you want them "tactical" paint them.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 23, 2012, 06:31 PM   #14
Slopemeno

"Trace" knee pads/shin guards are great. I wear mine for paintball, and they help my 40+ bod make it through a day of paintball. They are black except of r a small white logo. I bought mine at Big-5.

In paintball you're running, going prone, kneeling, back up running again, etc. I found tripping over things like roots or, worse, falling on a downed snag really hurts, so I tried some pads and wondered why I hadn't before.

Know what else works great? Football cleats. "Tanel" makes a set that have a circular series of cleats that cam out of their own impression to be easy on your knees, but they really dig in on a muddy trail. I wish I had found those years before as well.