The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 17, 2002, 08:19 AM   #1
Zeebrahed

Smith and Wesson Mod 28-2 problem

I have recently picked up a Smith Mod 28-2 with a serial number of N292XXX. When I swing the cylinder out, the whole carriage assembly easily comes out of the frame. When I seperate the cylinder from the carriage assy, I notice that the rod that slips into the frame in front and above the trigger is worn and the bluing has been worn thru.

Since I am not very familiar with revolvers in general, could someone explain to me how this is supposed to work? What should I replace to fix this problem? I will try to get pictures soon to clear up my terrible explanation.

Thanks in advance.
Old September 17, 2002, 08:47 AM   #2
Jim Watson

The yoke (carriage) is retained in the gun by the front sideplate screw entering the deep groove near the end of that rod.

The front sideplate screw is the one just above the trigger on the right side of the gun. Is yours lost out? Is the end broken off? Has it been swapped with one of the other sideplate screws that has the same size head and thread but is shorter? All these are possible and simple to fix by replacing the screw.

Or is the end of the yoke's rod damaged? The flange formed by the deep groove should not be broken, chipped or bent to where it could slip past the end of the screw. That would be a bigger repair job and would take a good gunsmith or factory work, yoke repair or replacement is not a DIY job.
Old September 17, 2002, 11:46 AM   #3
C.R.Sam

Excellant chance that somebody got the sideplate screws mixed up.

Worn blueing on the yoke shaft common and in itself nothing to worry about.

Jim Watson pretty well covered all the possibilities.

Sam
Old September 17, 2002, 02:05 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The rear sideplate screw is shorter than the others. If it is placed in the front, the entire crane will come out as described. On most of the newer S&W's that screw has a flat head (as opposed to the dome head on the others), so it is easy to identify.

Jim