The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 12, 2017, 06:07 PM   #1
Sawyer.N

Online Purchase of a Stripped Glock Frame

I live in washington state and I want to purchase a stripped glock 19 frame from a website. The website says that it must be done through an FFL, but as I started the checkout process it gave me no FFL option, and was ready to ship it to my home.

Is this illegal? I have searched high and low through WA state laws and found nothing to help me determine if this is illegal or legal. Anybody with some insight into this would be of great help. Thanks.

Last edited by Sawyer.N; September 12, 2017 at 08:48 PM.
Old September 12, 2017, 06:15 PM   #2
TunnelRat

A lot of online vendors will ask for shipping information simply because it's part of their standard form. Usually they'll have a notification that you need to contact them with the FFL information. Assuming this is a serialized lower and not say an 80% completed one then yes you will need to go through an FFL. It's likely worth calling the company and asking. Most businesses don't openly flaunt the law and likely any questions you have will be answered.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 12, 2017, 08:50 PM   #3
Sawyer.N

Good point, I'll just call them. Dont know why I didn't think of that :P
Old September 12, 2017, 09:19 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

The serial numbered part (usually the frame) IS the pistol, under the law.

Doesn't matter if it has all the parts to be functional, or none of the, the frame is legally the gun, and the same rules apply to it as a fully assembled and functional firearm. Federal law, the transfer has to go through an FFL.

Wa state law, an FFL will need to run a background check on YOU, before he can give you the gun.

If you are of legal age, and have a clean record, there should be no problems.

YOU will need to find a local FFL willing to do the transfer, and the FFL will send a signed copy of his license to the shipping FFL. Once that is received, the gun will ship, or frame, in this case...
Old September 12, 2017, 09:23 PM   #5
Sawyer.N

44 AMP,

Thank you for that information. I certainly am able to own pistols, as I already own several that I bought here in WA. I had no idea the "gun" is contained in the competent baring the serial number. Thanks for shedding some light on this.

At this rate maybe I'll just go ahead and purchase a new glock lol... or a p30
Old September 13, 2017, 06:30 AM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

I assume that the website would be shipping from outside of WA. As others noted, yes, this needs to go through an FFL. Gun + interstate transaction = FFL needed.