The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 27, 2013, 07:51 PM   #1
WIN1886

So what's the quality like on the newest S&W model 63 .22 caliber revolver?

I 've heard mixed reviews by doing searches on the internet but would like to hear from some that have put several rounds through them to see how they hold up , overall quality report , and how they perform at the range ! It seems like the weight and size plus the fact it holds 8 rounds would make it a handy little light duty field carry revolver ! Sorry , my bad , this should go in the revolver section and I didn't realize I'm in the general section before too late , I apologize !

Last edited by WIN1886; January 27, 2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:21 PM   #2
22-rimfire

It is a fine little 22 revolver. I have a 5", and keep watching for a 3" to pop up locally. I would buy one in a second if the price is fair.

It is a steel framed revolver and should hold up quite nicely. The trigger won't be as good as a M617, but that is to be expected. The trigger is actually pretty good for a J-frame.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:52 AM   #3
Motownstan

I have the 3 inch I bought about a year ago, I never go to the range without it. The trigger is good enough that I seldom fire it SA. It seems built well enough to last a few hundred years. I usually shoot mine out to 25 yards with no trouble. This is my only gun with the "lock" ironically my favorite.

I did have an issue when it was new, spitting lead, S&W sent me a shipping label and had it back to me in 2 weeks with a new barrel and has been fine since.

Here's mine with the M60 Pro Grips as recommended by Mr Stainz.

Old January 31, 2013, 11:23 AM   #4
WIN1886

Thanks , as far as trigger pull that is fairly easy to tune with a Wolff spring kit ! Those M60 Pro grips do look nice on the model 63 and I am already used to the new lock feature on my newest 357 magnum revolver ( I simply don't use it ) ! I've heard of the spitting lead and binding issues from other reviews which is why I posted to see how common it was ! They must accumulate powder residue very easy after a few cylinders of shooting......I heard to tilt your revolver straight up before ejecting empties helps ! Anyway , it never hurts to have a easy carrying .22 revolver in the quiver !
Old January 31, 2013, 03:08 PM   #5
aarondhgraham

I have a friend who purchased one of the new Model 63's,,,

I have a friend who purchased one of the new Model 63's,,,
All in all it seems like a nice little revolver,,,
But nowhere as nice as my old one.

I've fired hers many times,,,
My round count is probably 250 shots,,,
The trigger is not as clean as on my older 63.

Perhaps that is simply due to use,,,
Mine is definitely well broken in.

It took a while for me to warm up to fiber optic sights,,,
But I have to admit her sights are very easy to see.

Overall it seems to be a high quality handgun,,,
But I still like my older one better.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old February 1, 2013, 04:22 AM   #6
Glenn Dee

I looked at one today.... SAAWWEEEEEEETTT!
Old February 1, 2013, 05:50 PM   #7
rodfac

I set some store in what you write Aarond...and I gotta agree, those fiber optic sights have a "mall ninja" look about them...but I'll fess up and say that I've got a Fire Sight on the front end of my Marlin 336 in .44 Magnum...a helofa deer gun in the woods here abouts. What kind of accuracy are you getting with that fiber optic sighted .22?

Just a thought...is it possible to change out that fiber optic sight for a real steel Boughman ramped front sight? Looks like it's pinned in place so maybe a swap out is possible?

MotownStan, sounds like good customer service again, from S&W. I've had two of my revolvers worked over by the factory...and all on their nickle...one of the guns was built in '92...they stand by their guns...

Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; February 1, 2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old February 1, 2013, 06:07 PM   #8
Motownstan

The sights on the 63 are pinned so it should be easy enough to change. I was going to change mine but, they kinda grew on me.
Old February 23, 2013, 04:39 PM   #9
raveneap

A couple of years ago I ordered a 617 from my LGS and they were EXTREMELY hard to come by at that time. While waiting several months for it to arrive I ordered and received a model 63. It is a sweet shooting well made revolver and a great companion for the 617.
NRA/C&R/CCW
Old February 23, 2013, 07:26 PM   #10
ryan02

I have one. It works as it should, but there were a few rough edges on it. The back of the barrel had metal curled forward from cutting. It didn't afffect anything, but a cleaning rag would snag on it. Should never have left the factory like that! I polished the rough edges myself. If the revolver had been blued, I would have had S&W do it..
Old February 23, 2013, 10:33 PM   #11
berettaprofessor

I have one, 3 inch. Good finish, solid gun, decent trigger, but I'm not a fan of the "mall ninja" fiberoptic sights....accurate, but no more than a run-of-the-mill 22LR revolver...my Bearcat is better in that regard.
Old February 24, 2013, 05:22 PM   #12
WIN1886

Finding one of these NIB is rather difficult right now as is many other revolvers......Someday , now I'm thinking S&W model 57 in 41 magnum with 4 " barrel which I'm sure will be even harder to find and probably have a better chance to win the lottery !