The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old December 1, 2019, 05:27 PM   #1
shoptroll

Hard cast lead in 300 Blackout?

Has anyone used coated, hard cast lead bullets in a 300 blackout AR and what were the results?
Old December 1, 2019, 08:01 PM   #2
P Flados

Are you interested in subs or supers.

Generally, it seems to be a mixed bag as far as results.

The gun is not really "cast friendly". Most 30 cal cast bullets are not the pointy profile that seem to feed best. The neck is real short and the twist rate is typically a lot faster than you would choose for anything in the 110 - 180 gr range. The throat on the chamber is also optimized for the 220 gr.

On the other hand, some people have had pretty good luck in spite of all of the above.

Not me.

I started with my own cast bullets in the 150 - 180 gr range. My boy's 1-7 twist 7.5" barrel did not like them at all.

I recently made a 10" 1-10 twist barrel from an old 30-06 and am trying low and mid range bullet weights. I did not have any luck in the first few outings, but I am still trying.
Old December 1, 2019, 08:48 PM   #3
shoptroll

I know what you mean. The only thing I saw that wasn't a RNFP was a 115 gr. round nose from Missouri Bullet Co. made for the M-1 carbine. and for long bullets, Acme bullet has a 245 gr. RNFP but will that feed in an AR?
Old December 1, 2019, 09:27 PM   #4
P Flados

The long cast bullets are made for the 300 BO and have a decent chance at feeding.

If they do not feed in your gun as is, changing mags, tweaking mags and working on feed ramp profiles are potential "fixes".
Old December 1, 2019, 10:18 PM   #5
Chainsaw.

Yes.......and No. I cast for 300 using the Lee 225 grain spire point mold (the yes part) but I cast em about 16bhn for that round (the no part) so, not exactly hard cast, but cast non-the-less. They run well with a caveat, I have to seat them pretty deep to get them to run well in my barrel. I would certainly say go for it, but expect hickups of course.