The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 28, 2019, 07:58 AM   #1
TrueBlue711

Boyd's Stocks

Has anybody used the Boyd's Gun stock configurator? I'm just wanting to make sure I'm ordering the correct stock. I'm trying to replace the stock to my first hunting rifle: a 7mm-08 Mauser style action rifle. It was hand made for me by a gunsmith who is a close friend to the family. The current stock is youth, so I don't shoot it often anymore due to that. Figured it was about time to replace it. I don't know much about the rifle besides that it is a Mauser action. So on Boyds, I'm assuming the Mauser 98 should work. First of all, is that a wrong assumption? Do Mauser actions have different mounting screw locations depending on company? While "building" the stock, I didn't see anything about action length. Are Mauser 98s only short or long action?
Old August 28, 2019, 12:42 PM   #2
Oliver Sudden

You should be asking Boyd’s. I’m sure they can help.
Old August 28, 2019, 03:14 PM   #3
Pahoo

Measure twice and cut once.

Quote:
You should be asking Boyd’s. I’m sure they can help.
Do your best in the configuration and then confirm with Boyds. On a recent project I did exactly that and found out that I had not included some hardware. Boyds are some of the most helpful vendors that I deal with. When I thanked them a fella replied; "Any time" ……..

Be Safe !!!
Old August 29, 2019, 01:06 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...is that a wrong assumption?..." It is if you don't have a K98. You'll note that Boyd's sells 3 different Mauser stocks. Best you note their stuff requires fitting too. Not necessarily by a smithy though. Read the instructions.
"...short or long action..." That's a Remington thing. However, a 7mm-08 is a short action as it's based on the .308.
Who made your rifle?
Does the stock fit other than being short? How short? A recoil pad will add about an inch of LOP and you can use spacers(plastic white lines on stocks) to get more length. Give you an option.
Old August 29, 2019, 03:01 PM   #5
rickyrick

I got one for a Mini14 looks nice, but I’ve got to do some fitting to make it work ok. Specifically the channel where the op-rod insert goes was too small. I can fix it, but it’s a standard rifle, the stock was made for the rifle.

I’d assume other stocks will need fitting too.
Old August 29, 2019, 09:55 PM   #6
RC20

As noted, call Boyds

They make very good stocks, modern fit are best and outstanding. Some like the old 1917 Enfields 30 call ala Eddystones took a lot of hand fitting.

Run a search on K98 Boyds and you will get a view after a bit of how they do on average.
Old August 30, 2019, 04:36 PM   #7
NHSHOOTER

I have a few boyds stocks and they do a great job. Like everyone has said, get all your info together and give them a call. All the stocks I have gotten 3 to be exact have needed no extra fitting, drop in screw down and shoot..Please let us know how you make out..
Old September 1, 2019, 01:08 AM   #8
Scorch

First, figure out what you have, then call Boyds and get them to help you. And no, not all Mausers are the same. Are you sure it's a 98? Not a 48? Not a 95? Military or commercial? I had a guy bring me a B&C Medalist stock because he couldn't get his Mauser barreled action into the stock. Magazine box was different from the inlet, trigger housing was different from the inlet, barrel contour was different from the inlet. He wanted it done and he got it done! Could have just bought the right stock and he would have been money ahead, but he wanted to use that stock. So, the lesson is "make sure what you have first".
Old December 16, 2019, 06:33 PM   #9
bill460

This is a Boyd's, Laminated Thumbhole I got on a closeout for my Marlin X-7 in .223. The gun came with an injection molded plastic that was really rough and cheap looking.

It literally took me longer to get the thing out of the box, then it did to drop the action into it. Everything fit beautifully. The gun will shoot ragged one hole groups at 100 yards on a calm day for as long as you want to sit and squeeze the trigger. For the price I doubt there is anyone out there that can produce a better quality stock for the price.

Old December 17, 2019, 03:23 AM   #10
std7mag

Mauser action should be longer than the traditional short action.
To find out which Mauser action you have, i'd check out the measurements given here www.hoosiergunworks.com

You will need a pair of calipers to measure how thick your receiver is, and a tape measure to measure the distance between screw holes in the trigger guard and bottom metal.

Boyds stocks for Mausers do not come inletted for the bolt handle, as there is no standardized bend (if there is a bend).

Go to Boyds website, they have instructional videos on how to figure your length of pull, and such.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...