The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 16, 2019, 05:22 PM   #76
Pistoler0

I have a Glock on which I have installed an aftermarket Cominolli thumb safety and a Tau's development group Striker Control Device.

The thumb safety acts like that on a 1911. It prevents the trigger from being depressed.
The Striker Control Device allows you to keep pressure down on the back plate while reholstering, like you would do on a DA hammer fired gun, to prevent anything which might snag on the trigger from actually depressing it.

But if you do not want to go with aftermarket modifications, then the only other pistol I feel comfortable carrying AIWB with one in the chamber is the EAA (Tanfoglio) Witness. I like the Polymer models. They are all CZ clones, and they allow you to lower the hammer (so the pistol is decocked) and then engage the safety, after which there would be absolutely no way under the laws of physics that the pistol could fire.... unless you disengage the safety, of course.
Old November 16, 2019, 05:30 PM   #77
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemcal View Post
I started a thread on another forum about this predicament. I will welcome any good advise about how to become comfortable with a striker for a CCW.
In a previous post I explained how with an aftermarket thumb safety, and a Striker Control Device (a.k.a 'the gadget"), I feel completely comfortable carrying a Glock AIWB. I have been doing so for years no, and I carry everyday (working in a very "anti" environment).

I also included pictures, the post is here:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...81#post6756081
Old November 16, 2019, 11:08 PM   #78
rock185

If not carrying a revolver, my CCW choice would probably be considered untactikool, even archaic. More often than not, it is a S&W 3913 9MM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3913 (800x600).jpg (109.2 KB, 25 views)
Old November 17, 2019, 12:27 PM   #79
SDF880

SIG P229 here.
Old November 17, 2019, 12:36 PM   #80
corneileous

If uncomfortable with Strikers, which CCW?

My EDC is a Springfield XDE 45. Was carrying a Ruger LC9S as my EDC but since I’ve become so accustomed to hammer guns from experience with my PX4 Berettas, the little Ruger wasn’t cutting it anymore. Never really cared for it being the non-Pro model meaning that it had the slide-mounted thumb safety but, I wouldn’t have a typical striker handgun any other way.

That’s why the best of both worlds for me is to just stay hammer-fired because I don’t have to safety to mess with. All three of my Storms don’t have a safety anymore as they’ve all been converted to type-G models and even though my new Springfield has a safety, it doesn’t get used. It actually gets treated like it doesn’t even have one as I carry it the same exact way I would the Storms which is safety off, hammer decocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by corneileous; November 17, 2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old November 17, 2019, 12:54 PM   #81
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Young View Post
I resisted striker fired as the first few that I shot were not very reliable guns. In my quest for a carry gun I tried a springfield XDE with the hammer and DA/SA, but could not shoot it well. I have a Sig P238 and have become accustom to carrying it cocked and locked, when it is in a thumb release holster. Then I shot a friend's glock. Then I rented a sig 365. Now I carry a sig 356 with safety. Great gun with ten + 1 capacity and great trigger for a striker fired gun.

Life is good.

Prof Young

That was me at one point but after doing research and a little educating myself, I found it better for me to just train and learn how to take advantage of the Da trigger when the hammer isn’t cocked. I’ll admit, I used to feel that way too, the same as you and that’s kinda how I ended up with a striker-fired EDC gun with a safety.

It’s not that I have anything against SF guns, I just don’t like that I feel they need a safety to minimize the chance for a negligent discharge. I don’t trust trigger safeties, but I get the part about trusting whether or not one will remember to take the safety off in a lightning quick tense situation. My hammer guns give me that capability without having to worry about taking a safety off first, without making them in a sense, unsafer from the lack of a safety. Their safety in my opinion is the longer heavier pull of the trigger and the ability to ride the hammer into the holster without having to add an aftermarket part to do it.

This is all just me, nobody has to agree with what I do. I understand any gun can have ND’s. I understand that training, trigger finger discipline and common sense play an important role but we’re all fallible humans. We’re not free from mistakes. No amount of training or practice will change that.

Old November 17, 2019, 03:05 PM   #82
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigarms228
Might have something to do with the SA trigger pull on the P99 is lighter than the PPQ and the P99 has no trigger safety which the PPQ does.
The P99 does have a trigger safety, but it is hidden behind the trigger rather than protruding through the face of the trigger like most striker-fired guns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P99.jpg (105.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg P99_trigger_safety.jpg (119.9 KB, 27 views)
Old November 18, 2019, 09:51 AM   #83
chemcal

gc70: Those are great pics of the AS; what is the sourse?
Old November 18, 2019, 01:09 PM   #84
gc70

chemcal:

I found the picture here on TFL and did a reverse photo search to find more examples.

sigarms228:

I finally found a copy of the P99 Armorer's Manual Parts List that better illustrates the P99 trigger safety. The trigger has two parts, which Walther calls the Lower Trigger (24.2) and Upper Trigger (24.3). Those parts are hinged together with a pin (24.1). Conceptually, the Lower and Upper Trigger parts work in the same way as a S&W M&P's hinged trigger, but not as visually obvious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P99 armorer manual parts list.jpg (239.8 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by gc70; November 18, 2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old November 18, 2019, 06:07 PM   #85
pat701

Old school DA/SA pistol, Sig.
Old November 18, 2019, 06:34 PM   #86
Kevin Rohrer

For those who don't like Jello molds or striker-fired pistols, you can't go wrong w/ a BHP in .40 cal or a 1911 in God's Caliber (.45ACP).

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old November 18, 2019, 07:13 PM   #87
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
For those who don't like Jello molds or striker-fired pistols, you can't go wrong w/ a BHP in .40 cal or a 1911 in God's Caliber (.45ACP).

Gods Caliber? I think if God were to have a caliber, it’d be 10mm before it’d be 45...

Old November 18, 2019, 07:35 PM   #88
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc70 View Post
The P99 does have a trigger safety, but it is hidden behind the trigger rather than protruding through the face of the trigger like most striker-fired guns.
That is true but the PPQ has a physical trigger safety that also can protect from unintentional trigger movement releasing the striker such as if the side of the trigger/part of the trigger beyond the trigger safety catches on something like a deformed/faulty/incorrect holster or possibly a foreign object in the holster. The P99 does not have that.
Old November 18, 2019, 07:56 PM   #89
Pistoler0

haha I laughed at the God's caliber one.

Regarding 10mm vs 45.... remember that most 45 ACP pistols can also fire 45 Super (.450 SMC). The 45 Super slightly eek out the 10mm hot loads in the energy department. they fire slightly larger bullets, and costs about the same per round as 10mm.

And such a pistol can still fire the cheaper, run of the mill 45 ACP bulk ammo.
Old November 18, 2019, 08:02 PM   #90
Pistoler0

I want to vouch for EAA Witness Polymer DA/SA for carry.
$350 to $550 at Buds. Can be found in 9mm, 45 ACP, 10mm, .40 S&W and .380.

Not only that but there are 22lr conversion for it.
Further more, any pistol can be converted to any other caliber (eg. a 45ACP pistol can be converted to 9mm) by buying available conversion kit.

It is a high quality CZ clone. Elite and Match models are popular in the competition circle.
Old November 18, 2019, 08:02 PM   #91
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigarms228
That is true but the PPQ has a physical trigger safety that also can protect from unintentional trigger movement releasing the striker such as if the side of the trigger/part of the trigger beyond the trigger safety catches on something like a deformed/faulty/incorrect holster or possibly a foreign object in the holster. The P99 does not have that.
Walther's original trigger design did cover the possibility of something catching on the trigger, as described below from the P99FAQ. However, Walther eliminated that extra measure after the first 6,000 pistols. The shape of the trigger and its hinge point apparently provide adequate protection, as is the case with the M&P's hinged trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P99 FAQ
Why does my Interarms 9mm P99 trigger look different than the current 9mm P99?

The original P99 trigger design incorporated an additional safety device to prevent the trigger from being squeezed if it was caught or snagged on something. The idea was that you have to squeeze the trigger evenly from the the full trigger face, which disengaged the safety and allowed the trigger to be squeezed. This was known as the "split" trigger.
Old November 18, 2019, 10:26 PM   #92
doofus47

If I were to go back to a hammer, I'd go back to my Sig
Old November 18, 2019, 11:00 PM   #93
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistoler0 View Post
haha I laughed at the God's caliber one.

Regarding 10mm vs 45.... remember that most 45 ACP pistols can also fire 45 Super (.450 SMC). The 45 Super slightly eek out the 10mm hot loads in the energy department. they fire slightly larger bullets, and costs about the same per round as 10mm.

And such a pistol can still fire the cheaper, run of the mill 45 ACP bulk ammo.

“Most” people’s prolly like me, tho- who hadn’t never heard of 45 Super and don’t even know what it is. A lot more people know about 10mm.....

Besides, I don’t think anyone knows what criteria it is to be considered “Gods caliber”....

Old November 19, 2019, 12:38 AM   #94
Cosmodragoon

The P99 is great. It's ergonomic, relatively compact, and carries very well for a full-sized double-stack. Sure, you don't have the hammer feedback when holstering. It's still DA/SA and it does safeguard against another rare issue.

Has anyone here ever pressed up against something just right to actuate the magazine release on an autoloader? It happened to me once! While many holsters protect the trigger area, they usually don't protect the mag release button.

The P99 mag release is an ambidextrous paddle that runs along the bottom of the trigger guard. Older models use a shorter paddle but for years, a much more user-friendly long paddle has been in use. This tends to share in the trigger protection on some holsters.
Old November 19, 2019, 11:46 AM   #95
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
“Most” people’s prolly like me, tho- who hadn’t never heard of 45 Super and don’t even know what it is. A lot more people know about 10mm.....

Besides, I don’t think anyone knows what criteria it is to be considered “Gods caliber”....

he he I don't know about the criteria for "God's caliber" either. God can unleash floods, thunderbolts and earthquakes, so I think even the MK/B53 high yield thermo-nuclear warhead might be a bit under-powered.

45 Super and 450 SMC are rounds that can be fired out of a 45 ACP caliber pistol, and that have the same energy as hot 10mm loads. Thus for owners of 45 pistols, they substitute for 10mm and they preclude the need to buy a separate 10mm firearm.

So basically if you own a 45 ACP semi auto pistol, you do not need to buy a separate 10mm gun. You can most likely fire 45 Super or 450 SMC and get exactly the same performance or better than 10mm out of your firearm.

45 Super and 450 SMC are available as factory loads from DoubleTap, Underwood and Buffalo Bore.
Old November 19, 2019, 12:26 PM   #96
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistoler0 View Post
he he I don't know about the criteria for "God's caliber" either. God can unleash floods, thunderbolts and earthquakes, so I think even the MK/B53 high yield thermo-nuclear warhead might be a bit under-powered.
I have no intelligible response to that one. Lol.

Quote:
45 Super and 450 SMC are rounds that can be fired out of a 45 ACP caliber pistol, and that have the same energy as hot 10mm loads. Thus for owners of 45 pistols, they substitute for 10mm and they preclude the need to buy a separate 10mm firearm.

So basically if you own a 45 ACP semi auto pistol, you do not need to buy a separate 10mm gun. You can most likely fire 45 Super or 450 SMC and get exactly the same performance or better than 10mm out of your firearm.

45 Super and 450 SMC are available as factory loads from DoubleTap, Underwood and Buffalo Bore.
I didn’t do a whole lot of research concerning it but from the little bit I did do, it seems to me like some modifications had to be done before you could safely consider shooting something like that out of a regular 45ACP pistol. I dunno, maybe I’m wrong since I hardly know anything about that 45 Super but I’ve long done bought my 10mm which does plenty for me with hot Underwood 220 grain hard casts.

Old November 20, 2019, 08:29 AM   #97
USNRet93

I thought God lived in Austria and vacationed in Smyrna, GA....

->>>

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 21, 2019, 03:35 PM   #98
SGW Gunsmith

My LC9 has a hammer, albeit internal, but it has a hammer

Old November 21, 2019, 05:29 PM   #99
chemcal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
My LC9 has a hammer, albeit internal, but it has a hammer

What is the setup on your LC9 grip?
Old November 21, 2019, 05:34 PM   #100
bjw741

I like my XDe a whole lot. Thin and light. 9+1 capacity with the extened mag and a full grip.