The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2013, 11:32 AM   #1
hhamade

Ruger P345 45cal Loads?

Hey guys, I'm new to reloading. I just got all my equipment setup and wanted to start on some good home defense rounds for my P345 45. Was wondering if anyone had the same pistol as me that had a good load worked up already. I'm looking for something that will mimick the Hydra Shock or any other good L.E.O. Round. Also, I have heard of alot of reloaded ammo jamming in this model pistol. If you can let me know if you have got any loads that you have founf not to jam, that would be great. If you shoot this pistol and have some good loads, please post Bullet, Grain of Bullet, Powder and Grain of Powder, also Primer, and OAL. Thanks for any help.
Old January 20, 2013, 04:44 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Before anyone starts in, let's not turn this into another discussion of whether or not to use handloads for self-defense. The most recent version of that repeating theme and attendant pro and con arguments can be read in this thread,

My first advice would be not to start with LEO level loads. Most of them are +P pressure levels and the commercial loaders have some powders available to them that handloaders do not. So you are never guaranteed to be able to match their ballistics exactly. As a new handloader, it would be best to get your feet wet with something more mundane, like hardball.

For almost a century, 230 grain round nose jacketed bullets have been loaded over 5 grains of Bullseye powder. These are bullets like the Sierra or Speer 230 grain FMJ's, seated 1.260" to 1.270" COL, and using a standard largpe pistol primer, like a Federal 150 or a CCI 300. This produces a typical commercial level hardball load, giving you about 830 fps and 350 ft-lbs of muzzle energy from a 5" barrel. There are other powders and charge weights workable, but given the uniformity of this round and the span of time over which this load has been universally used, and the fact that round nose bullets tend to feed most reliably, it makes a good starting point for a new hand loader. I use 4.5 grains with RN Lead bullets, but the molds I have drop round nose bullets that require deeper seating, which can raise pressure.

Once you have got used to troubleshooting handloads and watching powder levels and watching for high primers and and learn how to read pressure signs, then is a better time to start in on the warmer loads. Since I don't have a copy of your handgun, I would call Ruger and ask if they know of any bullets or commercial ammunition the gun does or does not like to feed. If they think it likes the Speer Gold Dot, an other approach is to look at Alliant's site for Gold Dot loads. Unlike other sites, which provide a load range, Alliant just gives a single recommended recipe for a bullet and powder and primer and case combination. Alliant Power Pistol powder is a good one for warmer loads in the .45 Auto because it meters well, but there are others. Power Pistol tends to make a fair amount of muzzle flash, and that may be a consideration for you, especially with a shorter barrel.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 20, 2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Adamantium

In some cases reloading can be gun specific but for almost all modern autoloader pistols like yours there isn't a "Ruger P345" load like you are thinking of.

Are you looking to mimic the load, IE have the same velocity for bullet weight or are you looking to load these specifically for self defense?
Old January 20, 2013, 08:46 PM   #4
spacecoast

I shoot both 185 gr. LSWCs and 230 gr. LRNs in my P345 on top of 4.7 grains of Titegroup. It's a light load for the 185s, warm for the 230s. No feeding issues. I leave a slight shoulder on the 185s (nose lengths can vary) and 1.26 inches on the 230s. Standard LP primers.

Check the Hodgdon web site for more load data specifics.
Old January 21, 2013, 10:10 AM   #5
hhamade

To the question about wether I want them specifically for self defense, Yes. I don't necessarily want it to mimmick velocities. Though kevlar is easily obtainable in my area so I do like the idea of "ripping chucks of it out the otherside". I dont want someone shooting me if they break in. As to the gun specific "magic load", i know that doesnt exist. All i'm looking for is a recipe I can tinker with to make it work for me, but if someone has the same gun and already worked through the "gun jamming" issue, then that would be some advise that would help ALOT. I haven't made any reloads yet, but have read all over the net about people having the issue with reloads but not factory loads.
Old January 21, 2013, 10:42 AM   #6
spacecoast

Quote:
but if someone has the same gun and already worked through the "gun jamming" issue, then that would be some advise that would help ALOT
I gave you some loads that should run your P345 just fine, same as Unclenick. Jamming issues can be related to the bullet/powder combination, but as long as you are using an acceptable bullet profile, stay within the min/max limits for powder, and seat the bullets to the proper depth, jamming is more often going to be caused by not properly crimping the case mouth or having some other case issue. If you are new to reloading I highly recommend the Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD) which not only applies the proper crimp but pretty much guarantees that the finished round will fit into the chamber.
Old January 21, 2013, 10:52 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

I'll double up on the seating depth observation. Much of the feed failure reports come from failing to observe bullet maker COL recommendations.

Do note that armor-piercing handgun ammo is not legal, though that is not defined by what a bullet does to Kevlar, specifically, but rather by bullet construction.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 21, 2013, 12:08 PM   #8
hhamade

I gotta hand it to you Unclenick. Your truly a fountain of knowledge. The regulation you posted was a really neat read. Thanks.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:14 PM   #9
Sevens

.45 Auto is a round that doesn't have a lot of hunting applications -- or perhaps I should say...is typically not used in hunting applications. That means that most handloaders are making ammo in .45 Auto that is best used for paper punching and knocking down steel targets.

You'll find that unless it's a known, popular hunting round -- most handloaders don't spend a lot of time or money building high performance, penetrating or expanding rounds in these calibers. At it's most simple, it's because most handloaders keep a very tidy budget. And (by far), the most expensive component in any handloaded round is the bullet. And by and large, the most important variable in a "high performance" round of ammo is going to be a high-tech, expensive, cutting-edge bullet.

Most handloaders, especially when building handgun ammo, are loading them hundreds and thousands of rounds at a time. And spending big money on high performance, cutting edge, expensive bullets just isn't common.

You may indeed find the answers you seek, with regards to great handloads in .45 Auto specifically tailored to defense and social applications, but it's my opinion that the bulk of folks you will run in to in this forum can give you 12 different .45 loads that will allow you to compete closely in a bullseye match or battle for speed steel, but very few of us have spent much time building .45 ACP ammo intended for shooting at bad guys.

Most simply buy that stuff.
Old January 21, 2013, 06:35 PM   #10
lee n. field

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm new to reloading. I just got all my equipment setup and wanted to start on some good home defense rounds for my P345 45. Was wondering if anyone had the same pistol as me that had a good load worked up already. I'm looking for something that will mimick the Hydra Shock or any other good L.E.O. Round.
230 grain bullet, 4.7 grains Alliant Bullseye. Can't argue with a classic.

Quote:
Also, I have heard of alot of reloaded ammo jamming in this model pistol. If you can let me know if you have got any loads that you have founf not to jam, that would be great.
I have not heard any such rumors.

You'd need to look at exactly where and how it's jamming, because there's a variety of possible reasons for it. Mostly I'd say, pay attention to seating the bullet to the right depth, and to proper crimping.

If it consistently hangs up feeding the last round in the magazine, you might need a new recoil spring.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; January 22, 2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old January 21, 2013, 09:15 PM   #11
hhamade

Thanks for all the advise guys. As a newby that hasn't even decapped / resized the first shell yet, I truly appreciate it. I have grown rather fond of my eye sights, hearing, and fingers over the years, and would like to keep all of them a good while longer.