The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 17, 2008, 06:47 PM   #1
grymster2007

Sharps Rifle

I want to put an 1874 Sharps rifle on my wish list. Won't get one any time soon, but might be nice to know something about the various manufacturers.

How do you rate these?

Shiloh
C. Sharps
Uberti
Pedersoli
Old December 17, 2008, 06:55 PM   #2
mavracer

1. C Sharps
narrow gap
2. Shiloh
Big gap
3. Uberti
narrow gap
4. Pedersoli
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old December 18, 2008, 12:22 AM   #3
hidehunter

Shiloh Sharps is the absolute best. With excellent service after the sale.

Check this site: www.shilohrifle.com

Get on the forum and see why.

hidehunter
Old December 18, 2008, 01:59 AM   #4
Smokin_Gun

Armi Sport also makes a real good one, 1859-1863 Sharps...I have the Cav Carbine .54 Paper Cart....

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old December 18, 2008, 07:17 AM   #5
mykeal

Is the wait list at Shiloh still two years long?
Old December 18, 2008, 07:37 AM   #6
sharps387

Sharps Rifle

I have owned 8 to 10 Sharps over the years and do not have a lot of money. I recently bought a Pedersoli in 45/70 and it is the most accurate Sharps I have ever owned or fired (1 hole at 100 yds benched 3 shot group with the ladder sights). I am now putting on a tang sight as my eyes are now 62 years old. Hope this helps.
Old December 19, 2008, 07:38 PM   #7
longranger

What hidehunter said;

They have(Shilo) ready to go rifles all the time as does gunbroker.com has them listed. Don't want to wait? do a google search for Goodmanguns.com
He is the only "dealer of Shilo's" he has production spots for whatever you want and often has has brand new ones about. as well as originals.
C.Sharps are second to the Shilo's and Armi Short should not make the list.Pedersoli's are approaching Shilo prices, so why a Pedersoli?
Old December 19, 2008, 08:00 PM   #8
HOGGHEAD

Shiloh vs. Pedersoli

There is no doubt that I would prefer the Shiloh over the Pedersoli. But alot of that has to do with buying an American made firearm. And after all the Sharp's rifle is an American product.

However to say that the Shiloh is vastly superior in quality and accuracy is simply not correct. the Pedersoli's are some fantastic shooting rifles. You can check with a lot of the BPCR guys about that one, do not take my word for it.

And to say that Pedersoli is almost as expensive as a Sharp's?? NO WAY. You can buy the best Pedersoli made for the same price as the cheapest Shiloh. You need to compare apples to apples when you price a rifle. Not just compare the most expensive Pedersoli against the least expensive Sharp's.

Just go to the web site listed above and find a decent Shiloh for under $3,000. They are not there. You can buy a "BOSS" Pedersoli for $1800. That is 1/2 the price of a Shiloh with any decent wood at all.

As I stated above, I would really like to have a Shiloh. And I probably will some day(soon I hope). But in the mean time the Pedersoli is a great rifle to shoot while I wait.

Below is a couple of pictures of my "BIG GAP" Pedersoli. Tom.

Last edited by HOGGHEAD; December 19, 2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old December 20, 2008, 08:45 AM   #9
sharps387

Ped. Sharps

Hogghead - That is some beautiful wood. Does it shoot as good as it looks? And what is your front sight (I will assume a globe). I can't stand (can't see) a globe front so I am staying with the silver blade.
Old December 20, 2008, 12:30 PM   #10
HOGGHEAD

Rifle

The front sight is a tall white bead. I do not care for a globe sight. However I am a hunter who shoots, not a shooter who hunts. So I prefer the white bead for hunting conditions. My rifle is more than accurtate out to 300 yards. That is my personal hunting limit with the rifle.

I really like this model but it is too heavy for me. I am going to get a lighter and shorter model.

I wolud like to have a Shiloh Business rifle with a 28 inch barrel and nice wood. But I have no problem with the Pedersoli. As stated above the Pedersoli has went up in price. IMO this is largly due to the weak dollar. But Shiloh has also raised their prices. However a standard Business Rifle with extra wood is not cheap. Tom.
Old December 20, 2008, 01:37 PM   #11
grymster2007

That's a beautiful rifle there, HOGHEAD! Putting Saran wrap on my keyboard now.
Old December 22, 2008, 04:14 PM   #12
longranger

Fit,finish and materials, except the barrels on the Shilo's rifles are not even in the same league.Pedersoli does make one heck of a good barrel, better than most American barrels the comparison ends there. Pedersoli would not know a correct fore end if it hit them upside the head. If you want Sharps buy a real Sharps. The Italians could use some American sandpaper and elbow grease and maybe we could compare the rest of the gun.
Old December 22, 2008, 05:16 PM   #13
dalegribble

there are some nice sharps rifles out there. my wife just bought me a Pedersoli target model with the heavy barrel and at 13 lbs it is heavy. it came with the globe front and vernier tang sights and a very nice stock. it is my xmas present and she won't let me play with it until then but we picked it out together brand new from cabelas for $1229 +tx. i'm not sure how well it shoots but Pedersoli has an excellent reputation for accuracy and is supposed to shoot as well as any custom made gun out there. i will soon find out
Old December 24, 2008, 02:07 PM   #14
poko

BTW, who makes the Uberti Sharps rifles, do they make their own or does Pedersoli make them?
Old December 25, 2008, 08:46 AM   #15
sharps387

Who makes what?

Poko - From what I understand and have been told by a person who has been to Italy, Uberti, Pedersoli, Armi etc are all located in about the same area. It is a cottage industry there in that if one co. needs something and doesn't have it another co. will supply it. From what I have been told this is the way it goes for everything. If one co. is making barrels (for example) and another co. needs some, they get the excess barrels to complete their run. So, from this I assume if you buy a Pedersoli rifle you may be getting a Uberti barrel and an Armi lock. Or any combination there of.
Old December 25, 2008, 09:49 AM   #16
Jim Watson

Pedersoli makes Sharps repros for Uberti. Pedersoli is very proud of their barrels and would not use an outside supplier. Or at least not admit to it.

(Pedersoli gets Highwall receivers from Uberti and installs their own barrels, stocks, and single set triggers.)
Old December 25, 2008, 10:46 AM   #17
eastbank

here is the rifle i use to develop long range loads for the 45-70, its a older browning high wall model 78 made in japan with a older T-6 weaver target scope. this gun will one hole at 100 yards, i have shot 2-2.5 inch 5 shot groups at 300 yards with the 525gr postel bullet. eastbank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 500.jpg (262.8 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 502.jpg (260.5 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 504.jpg (239.0 KB, 82 views)
Old December 27, 2008, 09:20 PM   #18
FredT

I too have a Pedersoli 1874, the accuracy is awsome.