The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 9, 2019, 09:49 PM   #26
peterg7

I have one “fun” gun, a .45 Blackhawk convertible that is where I derive my shooting pleasure.

My CC guns are viewed more of a necessity and shooting is practice/training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 9, 2019, 10:04 PM   #27
J.G. Terry

This is a great thread. To old for sex? I was in denial.
Old December 9, 2019, 11:29 PM   #28
Colorado Redneck

In retirement, getting out on the plains with a rifle, tromping around shooting prairie dogs on some ranch cause the owner hates the mangy disease carrying rats, is a holiday in paradise for me. Hunting deer and pronghorn has become a real obsession so the prairie dog shooting is outstanding preparation to hunt medium size game. Hand loading ammo is an indoor activity that contributes to the enjoyment of shooting. Like many previous posters, this started for me around 8 years old....64 years ago. A Daisy Red Rider addicted me to shooting. Every time I accumulated enough money to buy BB's I would get in Dad's pickup when he took the milk to the creamery, dash into Ben Franklin's and get "ammo" for the Daisy. After the chores were done I was on the hunt. I ain't quitin till somebody takes the keys to the pickup.
Old December 10, 2019, 12:03 AM   #29
Geezerbiker

Like I say about motorcycle riding... if you have to ask, you won't understand the answer.

Tony
Old December 10, 2019, 09:21 PM   #30
Mike38

I shoot Precision Pistol competitively, although I'm not really that good at it, only a Sharpshooter. I enjoy being with like minded people. I enjoy competing against myself. If I can get one point higher than the previous match, it's golden. Most importantly, I enjoy forgetting what's going on in real life. For that 5 or 6 hours it takes to shoot a 2700 match, nothing else in the world matters. I have some serious health issues, but do not even think of that during a match, or even while training for matches. I get into "the zone" and I swear, World War 3 could start behind me, and I wouldn't notice it. I focus on the task at hand, and all the worlds problems vanish, at least for a while. I guess you could call it therapy?
Old December 11, 2019, 06:02 AM   #31
Hal

Quote:
To old for sex? I was in denial.
Didn't say too old - I said easier than ...

Huge difference youngster
Old December 11, 2019, 05:57 PM   #32
pete2

I shoot for fun...................................I have guns for self defense, hunting, friendly competition..........BUT I shoot for the fun of it.
Old December 11, 2019, 06:48 PM   #33
pturner67

My mom was a police officer. I guess it's in my blood. I have been shooting since I was 9 years old. I am not an expert on guns, though I am a very solid shooter. I enjoy it. It's relaxing. It gets my mind off of everything else for a little bit. And, I don't know any other way but to shoot.
Old December 13, 2019, 12:10 AM   #34
Buzzcook

Because its fun. Bang whizz there's a hole in something.
Old December 13, 2019, 12:33 AM   #35
kenny53

It's fun and I enjoy it. I haven't shot since last week and I won't be able to go shooting until tomorrow. It is a tough life.
Old December 13, 2019, 01:59 AM   #36
BJung

I first shoot to find the best load for any particular firearm. Second, after this is completed, I challenge my skill both at the range and then in the field. I like WWII and older rifles.
Old December 13, 2019, 07:18 AM   #37
dontcatchmany

And what is this sex stuff you folks are talking about?
Old December 13, 2019, 12:25 PM   #38
Erno86

I primarily shoot for the Zen moment of it all...

--- George Orwell
Old December 13, 2019, 02:21 PM   #39
ranchito457

At first i started shooting for self defense but over the years shooting and reloading have turned into my favorite hobby's to help me relax and unplug from the stress of life..
Old December 13, 2019, 02:44 PM   #40
Brit

J.G. Terry. (ref a veteran of the RAF in WW2) I was born in 1935, 4 years b/4 the start of WW11. Lived 8 miles out from Liverpool Docks. The Germans liked to bomb them, our Spitfires like to shoot them down. Lord Derby's estate hid behinds it's big walls, a group of RAF Chaps, spitfires, and camouflaged hangers. A buddy of mine and I used to spy on them.
Little kids just got chased!
Old December 13, 2019, 04:19 PM   #41
labnoti

I shoot for personal protection (training, practice, etc.)
I reload/handload to relax.
Old December 13, 2019, 04:54 PM   #42
RETG

A few reasons; one, because I am used to shooting (due to the job I retired from) and it has become a habit.

Two, since I am 71, and even though I am still in great shape, I don't want to run, so if needed, I will be able to aim at something and shoot it if necessary. And that is for four and two legged animals. (Last week, walking with the dogs about two miles from my house, there were some nice fresh big cat tracks in the snow and the dogs were acting very jumpy.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old December 14, 2019, 05:45 AM   #43
bill460

I find at my age, (67), shooting relaxes me. For a brief while it allows me to forget about all the crap going on in the world, relax and enjoy life. It's simple, fun, and uncomplicated.
Old December 19, 2019, 03:19 PM   #44
Hal

Ok - got past the whoopi part - - (wife's latest biopsy came back -negative, no cancer/no pre cancer cells - -going to be a good Christmas in Casa Hal this year - I make no apologies for being scared.....)

We should be good for the New Year & able to celebrate - ahem...in style ..

Anyhow now that that horrible experience is behind us - we can get back to shooting our firearms,,

Which we will both do for enjoyment of shooting and time spent together..
Old December 19, 2019, 08:48 PM   #45
handlerer2

I have been shooting longer than I can remember. My father would hold me in his lap, and let me pretend I was shooting bottles with his pistol, or so I was told.

I shoot now for relaxation. I must add that there is satisfaction in hitting what you aim at. I never shot at a target until I had to zero a M-16 in 1971.

Mine was a military family. Really my mother was a wave and my father a sailor. I was born at the naval Hospital in Oceanside, Ca. That's on Camp Pendelton.

Later on my father was a SeeBee. One of the 1st navy personell, sent to Viet Nam in 1964. He did three tours, and was KIA in October 1967, on his third tour.

Between tours 2 and 3, he would bring home arsenal equipment, M-16, M-14, and M1911's, occasionally, to shoot on the weekends. My father could do this because he was the senior NCO in his battalion, and had the keys to the arms room. This was in 1966, I was 13. I cant think of a better way to spend quality time with his 3 sons. He also had the keys to the bivoac area at PT. Magu, so we had the best place to shoot ever.

So, in 1971, I went contrary to family tradition, and went into the army, I was nearly as familiar with a M-16 as my instructors. I was astonished at how ignorant some people were when it came to firearms.

I was always a very good shot and I enjoyed being a little better than my buddies. We almost never set up bullseye type targets. We could shoot pretty long range in an old gravel pit, not 5 min from my pad. I got several of my pals reloading for themselves, and reloaded for others.

With one of my 1st GI bill checks,after deros I bought a Marlin 336. I also bought a RCBS press and I was off and going. I became interested in magnum riflery, for a while. I hunted some, mostly to show myself that I could.

I will not deny a fascination with things grossly overpowered. I used to shoot and reload for 300 and 340WBY. For me there was a satisfaction in some degree of mastery of the elements necessary to shoot fairly well.

I , as my father did with me, raised my son around all kinds of firearms. He is an excellent shot. My grandson, unfortunately has severe allergies to almost everything, but he can eat deer and elk and loves them. My son gets great satisfaction in being able to provide this this for his son. My Weatherby's now reside with him.

So I shot to see the effect of a heavy magnum on a hunk of bentonite. My son shoots to provide a safe food source for his son.

Last edited by handlerer2; December 19, 2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old December 19, 2019, 09:17 PM   #46
7.62 man

Yes it is very relaxing to go to the range & just unload.
But there is another reason I shoot................................I also reload so unloading gives me something to do when I'm not at the range. LOL
Old December 21, 2019, 02:20 PM   #47
Dreamsinger

It used to be for the pure Zen of hitting the target but as the sociopolitical climate grew more polarized, I decided that the right to be liberal needed to be defended by the same means that won it in the first place. I still compete in boring Bullseye and long distance rimfire silhouette matches but AR's, M1A's and a nasty KSG found their way into my. They get shot a lot.
Old December 21, 2019, 09:56 PM   #48
NobodyJones

I find shooting fun and relaxing. Relaxing because when I am target shooting I am thinking about nothing else but shooting.
Old December 22, 2019, 12:59 PM   #49
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday 1950 View Post
How many people shoot to relax & help oneself to concentrate other than protection? Yes the 1st. response would be for protection. However the other reasons in this post are just as important. All response are welcome as always.
Merry Christmas to all!
Because my wife does not like to shoot.
Old December 22, 2019, 09:31 PM   #50
m&p45acp10+1

I shoot for fun. The more fun I have, the more likely I am to keep going.