The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 27, 2011, 08:18 PM   #801
sir_n0thing

Hello from Wisconsin

Been lurking around here off and on for about a year. Today I decided to go ahead and join up.
Living in WI now, but raised in Texas. My father and grandfather both had a lot of firearms, so I learned to both respect and enjoy them from an early age. Over the years I've owned a fair variety of firearms.
At some point I sold all of my guns. Ten years passed and I decided it was time to rebuild a basic stable, so last year I bought a Tikka T3 Lite in .270WIN and a Ruger SR9 9mm. What I consider to be a broad-range, useful hunting rifle and a standard handgun.
Currently I am shopping for an affordable bolt action rifle in .223 for inexpensive days at the range (but with a bit more excitement than .22 rimfire). This will be my "fun gun".
Future plans include a lever-action in .30-30 (I took my first deer at age 15 with grandpa's old Winchester 94) and a 1911 style .45ACP.
Of course I could list off a dozen brands, styles and chamberings that I would love to have, but gotta start somewhere.

I am by no means an expert. In fact, I'd consider myself a beginner, despite the years I spent handling firearms. Back then I never paid attention to any technical info, I just went and did a lot of target shooting out in the country with my grandfather. Did a little deer hunting, a little rabbit hunting, and quite a lot of dove hunting. Never did any reloading, never handled any exotic calibers.

I've been enjoying learning what I can from this forum. Hopefully someday I'll be able to put any knowledge gained to good use.

-n0thing
Old February 27, 2011, 11:58 PM   #802
kylen

Hello all!

Not technically a new member I guess.... just wondering .... anyone on here in North Florida area?
Old February 28, 2011, 03:42 AM   #803
WS6 Rampage

Just joined. ... Just purchased a Kimber Custom II TLE... Thinking about adding a LaserMax & Bushing Compensator. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old March 1, 2011, 11:36 AM   #804
Noodle

Hi all. With the recent change in Iowa becoming a "shall issue" state and all the local news coverage it has re-sparked my interest once again in firearms as a hobby.

I have never personally owned a rifle or pistol, however growing up through various summer camps when I was much younger shooting .22 rifles, in high school my uncle taking me to a range and letting me fire his .357, 9mm semi automatic, and .40 semi automatic, Then the last time I have fired a gun being my friends 9mm Glock 17 about 15 years ago (I'm 34 now)

I'm not worried about home defense at this point and am not looking at concealed carry although that may change in the future. I just have always had an interest in firearms but have never been at the point where I really felt the need or want to own my own.

This would be something to be used at local public and private ranges around the area getting together with other friends of mine with the similar interest. I'm certainly more of a semi-automatic type of guy.

I recently received my permit to purchase and am going to take an official NRA safety and training course in a week with another friend of mine (and possibly/probably our wives)
Old March 1, 2011, 01:41 PM   #805
bandit.queen3807

Bandit Queen

Hi, my name is Lareina (Rene) I go by Bandit Queen at my range. I am the Executive Secretary of my gun club. I was looking for a place to post gun "stuff" and to post our gun show information for Wichita, KS.
Old March 3, 2011, 01:22 PM   #806
Snochew

New to forums :)

Hello all .

I'm new to the forums and just purchased my first Firearm about a month ago.

I have only been to the range once but I am hoping to go more frequently.

I'm interested in learning more about Firearms and competitive shooting.

In the future I hope to purchase a nice rifle and maybe another handgun.

I feel like that sounded robotic

PS: I'm also a robot
Old March 4, 2011, 09:33 PM   #807
ashcraft80

hello all new to tfl just wanted to say hi
Old March 5, 2011, 09:59 AM   #808
KennyFSU

Another newbie from Florida here, I currently own 6 guns (all pistols; semi and revolvers) but hope to expand my collection to shotguns and rifles as well.
Old March 5, 2011, 07:05 PM   #809
savagelover

Yeah another new guy

Just happen to stumble onto this site and thought I would
check in ..I used to cast all my own bullets but after 30 or
so years got out of it..Sold all my gear..I shoot a 45-70 Sharps
but no longer play with the black powder..I still shoot the cast bullets
though.I buy them now..Used to do long range high power as well.
I guess when you get older the joy just aint there any more..Shot
with the Marine corps.for 17 years...Now I just do a little blinking
out to 500 and thats about it...Thanks for having me here...
Old March 5, 2011, 07:34 PM   #810
Jeddy

german mauser k98

Hi, I'm Jeddy. And new to TFL, Looking for some answers about a k98 byf 42 I think its a sniper rifle thats had the stock modified a little. Is it still worth anything and what?
Old March 6, 2011, 02:47 PM   #811
E61

Greetings from Norway!

...and thats about it for the time beeing.
Old March 6, 2011, 03:08 PM   #812
Right to bear arms

I'm a newbie to the firingline. I've read posts for many years but have decided to join. I'll admit I haven't studied all the rules, so I'm sure I will make newbie mistakes in posting. All I can say is that I love Freedom, America, and the Right to bear Arms. I've owned, traded, and pontificated about various rifles and calibers my whole life so I hope some of the expert members of this community won't be too hard on me. My opening question is whether I should trade a new Savage "package gun" 7mm-08 (retail $497) for a slightly used 300 Weatherby Vanguard synthetic with a 3x9 buckmaster scope? I have plenty of rifles, but I am hankering for something new. Mostly I hunt 85 lb Georgia whitetails. When I was a youngster I sighted in a .300 weatherby fore someone and my shoulder recovered about a week later.
Old March 6, 2011, 07:13 PM   #813
GirlswithGuns

Hello!

I joined the form for a couple different reasons. My boyfriend and I have just recently Inherited some reloading equipment and we were looking to learn more about it.
More importantly, in a very short period of time, i have had a lot of information about guns, reloaders, stocks, barrels, scopes and even duck decoys thrust upon me at once and quite frankly I became fascinated with it all. So im here also for the learning experience.

Any tips or info or general advice on anything, dont be afraid to drop me a line!
Old March 6, 2011, 07:52 PM   #814
oldvet53

Introduction

hello, just thought I'd introduce myself. i'm oldvet53 and have just got back into 1911A1's after over 25 years not having used one since i was in the Army. i recently got a Rock Island Armory 1911A1 Government model that i put a set of VZ Grips on. i installed their Double Diamonds in G10 material in Black Cherry and used their DPL Stainless Steel grip screws. it came with one ACT mag and i picked up 2 CMC Match Grade mags.
Old March 6, 2011, 09:48 PM   #815
Marrok

Hello Iam Marrok. Iam a gunaholic. A friend from another forum mentioned I should join here, so here Iam.
Old March 8, 2011, 01:27 AM   #816
yellowlegs

new guy

im new name is wally im from san antonio and ive learned so much fro,m you guys if therr is anyone else here in sa let me know im into black powder
Old March 9, 2011, 11:33 AM   #817
Holiday009

Hello,

Name is Lee, I'm from Ohio. Have been a gun enthusiast for 20+ years. Collector of small pocket pistols in .22, .25, .32, and .380

Big fan of any and all Ruger Firearms as well !
Old March 9, 2011, 09:52 PM   #818
Hunt Greer

HOWDY!

Just a retired old fogey recently relocated to Utah ( My daughter,
at the age of 40 finally made me a grandpa- that's called motive
to relocate). Like finding old guns that don't work quite right and
making the do so!
Old March 11, 2011, 12:53 AM   #819
Ntshade

New here and Hello

Hello everyone. I'm new here. I'm a lady with guns.
Old March 11, 2011, 01:34 AM   #820
CenterFireBrass.com

Hi All,

I am from central Florida. I have been reloading for some time, and am starting up my second reloading supply business. I started out quite a while ago loading for personal use. I loaded precision rifle rounds and then moved towards pistol rounds in high-school. After making a few purchases of copper plated bullets I found cast lead bullets were much cheaper. Then one day I had a thought, you know these bullets look really easy to make. And being from Central Florida we do a lot of fishing, where we mold our own lead sinkers. So I decided to buy a set of molds and start making my own bullets. This was a great learning experience for me. I soon realized that I could do this on a large scale operation and ordered all the commercial casting equipment.

With the start of my first company, AJ's Cast Bullets LLC, I got my foot into the door of a reloading supply business. After quite some time, and many thousands of rounds later, I had an opportunity fall into my lap. I was able to buy brass from a local gun range and decided to sell it online as well. With the brass business quickly growing, I decided to shut down the bullet business and focus my attention on the brass side of the spectrum. This in tern led to my second business, http://www.centerfirebrass.com

I have enjoyed every second of reloading, though I never get to reload for myself anymore. This "hobby" has turned business, and I never get to pull the old lever much.
Old March 11, 2011, 04:13 PM   #821
sdw1961

Duh Me

Hi yall. Unfortunately in my hurry to get training information I some how overlooked this introduction forum.

I originally posted my introduction in the Hogan's Alley Forum under Tactics and Training as Newbie To This Forum

I'm in South Carolina and am looking to befriend another female in my area that may be willing to go to a shooting range with me once I complete my training.

Here I am trying to learn and be respectful and I've already messed up. Please pardon me for overlooking this introduction area.
Old March 13, 2011, 04:54 PM   #822
Saftyfirst

--

--

Last edited by Saftyfirst; March 13, 2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old March 15, 2011, 03:09 AM   #823
cptnugget

New to everything

I'm new to everything firearm-related and have definitely never been a "gun guy." I took a free introduction to firearms class a little over a week ago (first time I'd ever touched, held or shot a firearm) and loved shooting. My main interest is in some target and sport shooting and I'm already lusting after great or interesting guns. I went to my first gun show yesterday and almost left with a used Weatherby Vanguard in .308 Win.
Old March 15, 2011, 09:07 PM   #824
mrasgt

Hello all

new to this forum, not new to guns and such, I love learning from others.

So, Howdy!!!!

"From my cold,dead hands!!!!!"
Old March 15, 2011, 09:31 PM   #825
mrasgt

How DO

New member, old scout with many guns, hope to learn here.

"From my cold,dead hands!!!!!"

Tags
ar15 , cerakote , custom ar , introduction , laser engraving , new agent