The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 24, 2002, 12:48 PM   #1
Aimpro

.25 ACP Revolver

I received an interesting question from an associate that I'm researching. Does anyone know of a .25 cal (ACP) non-semiauto handgun? Possibly a derringer or revolver that was, or is available commercially?
Old January 24, 2002, 01:08 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yes, I've seen pictures of one, a small, French or Belgian revolver with a collapsing spur trigger.

It's in one of my reference books at home...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 24, 2002, 02:04 PM   #3
Crimper-D

It's French

Called an "Apache"
I believe there is one currently on Gunsamerica auction under either collectables or antiques...But then, it could hace been Auction Arms.....search word would be "Fernch".
Old January 24, 2002, 10:34 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't know if any are currently made, but a great many .25 ACP caliber revolvers were produced in the early part of the 20th century, mostly in France and Belgium. Most were folding trigger revolvers, with rod ejection. There was also a German gun, called the "Reform" pistol, which used a block of four barrels stacked vertically. As each barrel was fired, a device like a revolver "hand" indexed the block up one barrel until all four had been fired. Ejection of empties in the top three barrels was accomplished by having a hole between barrels so the gas from the second barrel blew into the first barrel, blowing the empty case out to the rear. A large hammer deflected the ejected case so it did not strike the firer. The empty case in the bottom barrel had to be removed by hand.

Jim

Last edited by James K; January 25, 2002 at 03:44 PM.