The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 29, 2017, 10:16 AM   #1
Rothdel

New to me Colt Pocket Hammerless .380

Found this in the LGS yesterday and couldn't resist. Based on Serial number search it was produced in 1915. Did not come with box and paperwork but pricing was hard to beat. Have not fired it yet and I'm not sure how much I will. Thinking this one is destined to be a firearm I pull out of my safe every once in a while and just marvel at this history this little gun has seen.
Attached Images
File Type: png Colt Pocket Hammerless.PNG (166.7 KB, 200 views)
Old January 29, 2017, 10:40 AM   #2
ammo.crafter

Hammerless

I believe Gen. Patton carried one of these Colts during WW2.
Old January 29, 2017, 10:44 AM   #3
RKG

Colt Model M is a fine pistol and fun to shoot.

However, there is one safety check you want to make, particularly since a dry fire is the only way to get the hammer uncocked for storage.

The firing pin in the Model M is in two parts -- because otherwise it would be too long to insert into the firing pin tunnel. The forward part of the pin has a spring that causes it to retract when the hammer is cocked. If that spring has become fossilized because of age, dry firing can cause the forward firing pin nose to become wedged into the firing pin hole in the breech face, and if this happens, you've converted the pistol into an open bolt auto that fires when the slide is dropped on a chambered round!

Test:

Gun is cleared; nothing in chamber or magazine.

Drop slide into battery.

Pull trigger to dry fire.

Now very slowly retract the slide just enough to view the breech face and inspect to be sure there is no part of the pin showing through the hole.

I've repaired a couple of these. At one time, at least, a replacement front firing pin spring was available for purchase; don't recall if I got them from Numrich or Colt Parts. Replacement requires driving out one solid pin in the slide to remove the firing pins; this solid pin removes from left to right.
Old January 29, 2017, 12:30 PM   #4
Dufus

My Dad bought one in 1953. A really excellent handgun. Reliable, accurate, and fun to shoot.

He still keeps it on the nightstand and it is his carry gun.
Old January 29, 2017, 02:56 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Colt pocket pistol, in either caliber, is one of the most reliable of the type ever made and a fine gun, though without the DA considered essential in the breed today.

FWIW, I believe that pistol has been refinished, not a consideration for a using pistol but a major point in evaluation.

Jim
Old January 29, 2017, 07:59 PM   #6
ttarp

Beautiful pistol, I have one in .32 that doesn't see the range as often as I'd like, but its a soft shooter.
Old January 29, 2017, 08:10 PM   #7
smee78

Wow that is a good looking pistol, congrats.
Old January 30, 2017, 12:11 AM   #8
tallball

Nice pistol! I have the 32acp model. They are great guns.
Old January 31, 2017, 08:45 PM   #9
Rinspeed

Looks great, mine was made in 1922. I haven't had it out in a couple years but will shoot it in the spring. Haven't looked for a new recoil spring but should pick one up soon.
Old January 31, 2017, 08:54 PM   #10
spacecoast

I was fortunate enough to have been given an early Pocket Hammerless .380 (1910 - with barrel bushing) in excellent original condition (fire blued small parts and all) a couple of years ago. It still shoots great, although I also bought a later one for shooting. My most treasured handgun, for sentimental reasons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0380.jpg (53.1 KB, 29 views)
Old January 31, 2017, 09:30 PM   #11
reddog81

The finish looks great if it's original and even if it's refinished it looks OK. It's just as common to find refinished models and original finishes in good condition are hard to find.

Assuming it's in good condition, firing it should be fine. These guns are solid beefy guns designed to shoot. It's possible to find spring kits and replacing them might be prudent since the round count is unknown.
Old February 1, 2017, 01:24 AM   #12
Bill DeShivs

There is no reason to drop the hammer for storage.
Old February 1, 2017, 09:59 AM   #13
bn12gg

My 1903 is a type #1 in .32 acp -- great gun. The history of the 32/380 1903 cuts thru military issue, Hollywood as well as well known thugs. I continue to look for a clean 380. Nice clean 100 yesr old specimens pictured above. Congrats !!

David.
Old February 1, 2017, 01:57 PM   #14
RickB

Fun shooters. I inherited both a .32 and .380 from dad, and didn't shoot either of them for more than twenty years; don't think either had been shot in my lifetime.
Aftermarket mags are spotty, originals are expensive.
Think twice before trying to detail strip. Some say they are easy to take apart but difficult to put back together, but I've quit, twice, early in the disassembly process.
Old February 1, 2017, 03:28 PM   #15
spacecoast

Quote:
Think twice before trying to detail strip. Some say they are easy to take apart but difficult to put back together
+1, I've read that it's a suicide mission. No reason to go there if all is well.
Old February 1, 2017, 05:28 PM   #16
Chris_B

Really good pistols, reliable, and accurate. I have a 1920 example, in .32ACP
Old February 1, 2017, 05:58 PM   #17
Slopemeno

Been there, done that, had to borrow my co-workers hands to get it back together. Fortunately it's not really necessary to take the lower part very often.

Fun guns. I built a custom 1903 in .32 with full checkering, beveled mag well, and full-size black sights off of a Combat Elite. Even with a really dark bore it shot great.
Old February 1, 2017, 06:03 PM   #18
bn12gg

Replaced a weak main spring in my Type #1 (4 inch barrel) 1903. The Numerich repop spring does not fit -- sourced one off a parts gun on eBay. Just a "heads up" on at least one part for these wonderful old pistols. Tough putting these pistol back together.

.02. David.